Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

OK. OP's stated budget was $2,000 to $3,000 for a single detached home. Craigslist would show rentals for those types of dwelling Riverdale to be greater than $4,500 (a townhouse).

Also should be noted that private school tuitions in Riverdale and Manhattan are approaching $30,000/year per student. My understanding from his first post was that he was looking for school districts where the cost of matriculation would already be covered by the rent ($3K includes house and school). That's a big cost difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
OK. OP's stated budget was $2,000 to $3,000 for a single detached home. Craigslist would show rentals for those types of dwelling Riverdale to be greater than $4,500 (a townhouse).

Also should be noted that private school tuitions in Riverdale and Manhattan are approaching $30,000/year per student. My understanding from his first post was that he was looking for school districts where the cost of matriculation would already be covered by the rent ($3K includes house and school). That's a big cost difference.
For the op's budget Riverdale is out on a couple of fronts. Is Rockville Centre doable? What about the Village of Floral Park? Real close to the Queens border and has it's own LIRR stop. Small little strip along Tulip Ave. Decent schools.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM

/\/\

Yes, RVC is probably doable with the $3K budget and so are Lynbrook, Floral Park and Stewart Manor - all in LI. There is also a good section in Valley Stream, according to poster ILLI, that is zoned for a decent school.

Albertson (LI) has a great school district and its own LIRR stop. For shopping/promenading, the people staying at home can take the NICE bus from Albertson to Old Country Road which houses Roosevelt Field Mall and The Gallery (factory outlets, Trader Joes).

There are also some previously mentioned towns in New Jersey and a sprinkling in Westchester that would fit the bill.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Perhaps also try New Hyde Park? The area has decent schools, near Queens border, 10min drive to the mall on local streets, but definitely need a car in that area. I see a 4br 2.5ba colonial on craigslist renting for 3k. I think a house like that can be mortgage+property tax for less than that amount. 450k home 10% down (heard 10% is doable now), finance ~400k for < $2000 a month plus $800 in property tax, and maybe $50 for insurance and that's about $2800-2900 a month.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Riverdale would only afford an apartment in the preferred rent range, a smaller single is going to be upwards of $6k, easily. Perhaps there would be something in North Riverdale that's a bit less expensive, but $3k is not reality for the OP's preferred housing type.

In Westchester, you may also consider Valhalla, though you would definitely need a car in this area, as the commercial area is small. Pleasantville can work, since there are some cottages in the town that would fall in your preferred rental range, though they are more like detached townhouses instead of a single-family home with an expansive yard. Chappaqua, too, sometimes has cottages, despite being significantly more expensive, overall. Dobbs Ferry would be another place to look as toward the higher end of your preferred range, you would be in line with some of the smaller houses in the area. Tuckahoe also has properties in range, and a small downtown area, though some toward the lower end of your range would be a house that is divided into two apartments. And, right around $3k, you could add Pelham to the list, though there is not much in Pelham at that price point, likely a two-family house, as well as previously mentioned Larchmont/Mamaroneck.

In Westchester, the main issue is going to be age, since new(er) single-family residences tend to be built to the luxury end of the market, due to land costs, hence with hefty tax bills, you might not find much under $5k or so, higher closer to the city.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 AM

The only thing I will say about Valhalla is that it is a very ordinary suburb such that there are probably towns in LI and NJ that offer better transit and promenading options. Other Westchester towns mentioned like Tuckahoe, Pleasantville, Pelham and Mamaroneck are good areas.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Perhaps also try New Hyde Park? The area has decent schools, near Queens border, 10min drive to the mall on local streets, but definitely need a car in that area. I see a 4br 2.5ba colonial on craigslist renting for 3k. I think a house like that can be mortgage+property tax for less than that amount. 450k home 10% down (heard 10% is doable now), finance ~400k for < $2000 a month plus $800 in property tax, and maybe $50 for insurance and that's about $2800-2900 a month.
Is there a LIRR stop for New Hyde Park?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM

Yes, NHP has its own LIRR stop. The people I know who live in NHP also ride at the Mineola stop for express train service.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,733 times
If your job is in Uptown West, then Westchester would be a pain since Grand Central is on the East side of Manhattan which means you would need a combo of bus/subway to go crosstown/uptown. I would consider either Long Island or NJ and people gave you really good options here, but I think Forest Hills Daddy hit the nail on the head-your son is only 1, and unless you live in a total hood, most of the elementary schools in NYC are pretty decent, it's the middle schools when the problem starts, if you are still here, 10 years from now, just escape to one of the suburbs mentioned.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
OP, you might want to give the Bronx and in-depth look. Doing a prelinary search in your price range, I found a 3/2 on the water in Throggs Neck:

Schley Avenue and Wilcox Avenue - Trulia

Now, Edgewater is pretty remote but is walkable and has public transportation (just not particularly close by - as in right by your door). I think the schools are decent since da Neck is still largely middle class and the homes have still maintained their value. A place this far away isn't your only option, but it shows that you can have a house, still live within the city limits, and not have to worry about a drive-by.

Here's another one in a condo complex, but more apartment - style.

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3114028...10465#photo-23

These are all newer housing stock, take from it what you will. They are pretty to look at, that's for sure. But I think the older pre-war apartments will always be a fav of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City