Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

It's on 39th st right by Queens blvd. I believe this is technically Long Island City. Is that correct? Anyway, it will run about $730 a month with a bedroom about 10x10 I would say. There's no living room and there's one other person living there. We work totally opposite schedules so I would never see her. The kitchen is tiny (yet it's a full kitchen. Right now all I have is a hotplate to cook on), and a small bathroom. It's all renovated in an apartment building. Anyone know if this is a good deal considering the area and the apartment size and all? I've only seen 2 other apartments besides this, but I need to decide quick with this. I also work in the Bronx, so this would cut my commute by a lot of time (I take the subway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM

62 posts, read 205,554 times
I'm not sure it I read this correctly ..are you sharing a 1 bedroom apt with a stranger? if so , definitely not a good idea. If you mean YOUR bedroom is 10x10 then it all depends on if you think you can deal with a roommate. Remember , you said you will be working opposite shifts, that means that that your roommates friends will be at the apt while you're either asleep or at work (so they will have free run of the house) and forget it when she says that she wont have people over, it's inevitable ...wont you be inviting people over , so will she

Just my opinion , forget price (no way to compare shares to individual apts) just do what feels safest
Good Luck
SGC

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
By cutting your commute do you mean that you will be able to drive? Right?

I would look around a little more for similar situations where you would be sharing an apartment with a roommate (s). The size seems okay now, but once your living there, it might really wear on you. If your a busy person and spend a lot of time out of the apartment, the roommate thing might not be much of an issue.

You might also be able to find someone renting out a part of their house.

I just did a quick search on Craigslist. Queens 1BR Apartments by owner, under $1,000 several things popped up around that $730 price.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

It's a 2 bedroom apartment. she said she works weekends and when she isn't working, she's usually out (goes to school too). she told me she doesn't drink or party, which is good because I don't and I value my quiet time.

I told her I'd like another day to decide. I plan on going to see another one in Woodside tomorrow. She said she chose me, so I just have to let her know.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
It think it is she that is living in the living room, and giving you the bedroom

That is why there is no living room

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM

It has a door though and it isn't open. You walk into the apartment and it's just a tiny area with the rooms on the side.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I think back in the day the living rooms had doors. In my apartment (built in the late 1930s) there are spaces for brackets on the wall for some type of door (double-door I guess) to the living room. There is also a space where there was a door for the kitchen. Obviously you don't see this stuff around anymore as people like open spaces.

In all honesty you might be selling yourself short. For the same ammount of money you could probably find a place with a living room and perhaps even a bigger bedroom.

I know in my neighborhood (which is a decent neighborhood in the Bronx) I saw a room share for $750 for 1 br in a 2br apartment in one of those new fedder homes. I'd definitely go for something like where the construction is all new before I split an apartment without even a living room.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 AM

The thing is I wouldn't really care if there isn't a living room. I hardly ever spent time in the living room growing up and recently when i was living at home. I grew up mostly being in my bedroom, so no living room isn't a big deal to me.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Well its your call, but I would always go for a place with a little bit of extra space. You never know when it might come in handy ;-).

Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's on 39th st right by Queens blvd. I believe this is technically Long Island City. Is that correct? Anyway, it will run about $730 a month with a bedroom about 10x10 I would say. There's no living room and there's one other person living there. We work totally opposite schedules so I would never see her. The kitchen is tiny (yet it's a full kitchen. Right now all I have is a hotplate to cook on), and a small bathroom. It's all renovated in an apartment building. Anyone know if this is a good deal considering the area and the apartment size and all? I've only seen 2 other apartments besides this, but I need to decide quick with this. I also work in the Bronx, so this would cut my commute by a lot of time (I take the subway).
renting is never a good idea whether the asking price is low or not. You throw away money when you rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: