Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
I think a big factor on whether or not it succeeds in NYC depends upon the mentality of the people. In london the bikes seem to be ridden responsibly and kept in good condition. Manhattan....I'm not so sure about.
*flies down the avenue against traffic*

*blows whistle obnoxiously*

"MOVE MOVE MOVE!!! THIS CITY DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU!!!!"

*blows whistle and flies off into the sunset in lime green spandex*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
OY...some of those tourists are gonna be in for a rude surprise.
I think most people are competent enough to understand the guidelines. I would hope so anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
I think a big factor on whether or not it succeeds in NYC depends upon the mentality of the people. In london the bikes seem to be ridden responsibly and kept in good condition. Manhattan....I'm not so sure about.
The bikes are very durable. The bike balancing is the biggest issue right now. Areas on the fringes or transit hubs empty out in the morning, and fill up during the afternoon.

Quote:
Bike Share’s Solution Man

Docking system and bicycle (2008)
For Montreal’s Bixi bike, Dallaire created a triangular docking clamp and the accompanying solar-powered station. “I see this bike system as street furniture,” says Dallaire. “It’s a useful, practical object that people from the city enjoy. We are not using the infrastructure of the city, so you can deposit the station in a few hours, and if you want to change it the next day, we just remove the station.”

The bike itself was given a heavy aluminum boomerang backbone for maximum stability and durability, he says: “It’s very rugged, a very sturdy frame. In Montreal, this is our fifth season, and the bike is still behaving very well.” Anyone who thinks its handlebars resemble a quintessential feature of Canadian wildlife isn’t alone. “When we had the ergonomic and geometric results, one guy took the handlebars and put them beside his two ears. It looked like a moose. That design was not an objective,” he adds. “It was an accident.” Dallaire himself isn’t much of a bicycle enthusiast. His preferred commute is straddling his 2012 Harley-Davidson. “I’m not a professional cyclist,” he says, though he doesn’t think that hindered his design. “You don’t have to lay an egg to find out if it is good or not.”

Meet Michel Dallaire, Bike Share's Solution Man -- New York Magazine
Quote:
At Penn Station, the Early Bird Catches the Citi Bike

The WNYC Data News Team analyzed the average number of bikes in various docking stations around the city by time of day. At Penn Station there is an especially fast depletion of bikes at the several docks surrounding the transit hub that serves commuters from New Jersey, Long Island as well as 6 subway lines.

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/transporta...hes-citi-bike/

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM

^-And no way do these bikes max out at 6 MPH. The average rider travels at what looks to be about 12-15 MPH.

Quote:
City Urges Court to Toss Citi Bike Station Placement Lawsuit, and the Post Is Scandalized

EXCLUSIVE: NYC DOT claims courts can’t review placement of Citi Bike bike-share racks - NYPOST.com
Quote:
Citi Bike Coming to Long Island City By September

Queens Tribune

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
THe citibikes have gears no?

BTW out of curiousity, do they have someone maintaining the bikes. Does someone come around at end of day to check the bikes, etc?

Also is access to the bikes 24/7?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I see vans all night attending to the stations, moving bikes, etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
THe citibikes have gears no?

BTW out of curiousity, do they have someone maintaining the bikes. Does someone come around at end of day to check the bikes, etc?

Also is access to the bikes 24/7?
As for gears, yes, every bike has three speeds

And yes, it's 24 hours a day

FAQ | Citi Bike

Yes there are vans that go around checking the bikes, responding to any maintenance calls, and redistributing the bikes. I've seen the vans several times.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
City should help foot bill to spread Citi Bike program, Councilman Brad Lander sez

Read more: City should help foot bill to spread Citi Bike program, Councilman Brad Lander sez - NY Daily News
And another record broken today; 41,474 rides in 24 hours today. Very impressive considering the number of bikes/docks.

Citi Bike is proving too successful, expansion is needed already.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Wait, I'm still confused after reading that daily news article. Why should the city help foot the bill?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

Very impressive considering the number of bikes/docks.
How many bikes/docks ARE there?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Wait, I'm still confused after reading that daily news article. Why should the city help foot the bill?
The pol wants to spread it throughout the city but I don't think the private company that runs citi bike (Atlea? I belive) is interested in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City