Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

Flushing and Bayside are mostly Asian.Elmhurst too. Unless you belong to that class you're not going to feel comfortable.

gentrification is when original residents who have been in an area for many years are displaced by younger, transients with more money who are willing to pay for the higher rents and lower quality. Let's not worry about the Jamestown colony or colonial definition. That's out of context.

Many people justifiably dislike gentrification because of the kinds of people it brings into the area.Their behaviors are antisocial, rude and arrogant. These people are confrontational with an overblown sense of self-entitlement.They are biased against immigrants, older people and anyone who is from a different social class. They often pick fights with the wrong people and get put in their place. My nephew has enough stories as do I.

It's about having a quality of life and gentrification obliterates that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I am in search of ungentrified neighborhoods in either Queens or Brooklyn on behalf of a family member (nephew) looking to move. Some criteria: far from the subway train and no yuppies or hipsters. Also, not looking for gang/drug rife ghetto areas like: Brownsville, BedStye, or Crown H. , the Bronx.

in Queens: I have come up with Maspeth, Glendale, Ridgewood, Middle Village and maybe the Rockaways.

Nephew drives and works in Nassau. Has a Harley, is in his late 30s. Low key, creative background, likes big dogs (mastiffs). He's looking for an "old school" "immigrant" "blue collar" "unpretentious" "yuppie free" - not congested with bad parking and overpriced.

in Brooklyn, I don't know too much about it. I live in Queens.

He's open to either Bklyn or Queens. Doesn't want to live in Nassau County.

Any ideas anyone?
OP, You work in Nassau county? How about Throggs Neck in the Bronx? It's right over the bridge and it's a blue collar non hipster area. Also Bellerose,Floral Park, Glen Oaks, Bayside, Whitestone are non hipster areas of Queens. I agree with the posters on Marine park,Sheepshead bay in Brooklyn.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Flushing and Bayside are mostly Asian.Elmhurst too. Unless you belong to that class you're not going to feel comfortable.

gentrification is when original residents who have been in an area for many years are displaced by younger, transients with more money who are willing to pay for the higher rents and lower quality. Let's not worry about the Jamestown colony or colonial definition. That's out of context.

Many people justifiably dislike gentrification because of the kinds of people it brings into the area.Their behaviors are antisocial, rude and arrogant. These people are confrontational with an overblown sense of self-entitlement.They are biased against immigrants, older people and anyone who is from a different social class. They often pick fights with the wrong people and get put in their place. My nephew has enough stories as do I.

It's about having a quality of life and gentrification obliterates that.
BTW Queens County is now under 40% white non hispanic. I believe it's 37%.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
OP, You work in Nassau county? How about Throggs Neck in the Bronx? It's right over the bridge and it's a blue collar non hipster area. Also Bellerose,Floral Park, Glen Oaks, Bayside, Whitestone are non hipster areas of Queens. I agree with the posters on Marine park,Sheepshead bay in Brooklyn.
We're going to be looking into those areas above. They're on our list for sure.

Neph doesn't want to do tolls but he's willing to look at areas. He's open. In terms of eateries: he loves Italian, Greek, American continental, Irish, Russian/E. European and just a mix of different ethnic eating establishments.
He's ok with organic places, but he doesn't want a neighborhood overrun with organic stores and eateries; where basically there is no variety..no choice.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
I still think kew garden hills/hillcrest would suit him best.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM

11 posts, read 44,122 times
Move to the south side of Staten Island and you're done.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Are you talking about Bayside? Affluent Asians are very willing to pay extra for properties near good schools.
Bayside has long been settled by Asian immigrants migrating out of their Queens enclaves eastward along Northern Blvd. I was referring to the less well-off areas in Queens like Jamaica, Corona and Woodhaven. There has been a noticeable rise in Asian homeowners who have bought along Junction Blvd.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
BTW Queens County is now under 40% white non hispanic. I believe it's 37%.
Actually, 28% Non-Hispanic White.

Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 AM

181 posts, read 218,334 times
Boro Park, Brighton Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City