Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM

98 posts, read 205,244 times

Advertisements

This is another one of those, "I want to move to New York." I'm looking at 2015 to 2016. I am a realtor right now in Houston. Been trying to go to New York since I was born and loved every minute. From walking from Times Square to Central Park to taking the subway to Brooklyn. I tried to stay away from more of the tourist stuff.

While I realize it is different to live there and travel there, I have decided to make the move. I work at Keller Williams right now but I wouldn't be against working for another brokerages. Those who have bought or rent from brokerages, which one did you have the best experience with? I know about Douglas Elliman, and Bond and Town and Citi.

But I don't wanna join one of those and they have a horrible reputation. I'd love the suggestions on the best place to work at? Maybe a smaller boutique place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
This is another one of those, "I want to move to New York." I'm looking at 2015 to 2016. I am a realtor right now in Houston. Been trying to go to New York since I was born and loved every minute. From walking from Times Square to Central Park to taking the subway to Brooklyn. I tried to stay away from more of the tourist stuff.

While I realize it is different to live there and travel there, I have decided to make the move. I work at Keller Williams right now but I wouldn't be against working for another brokerages. Those who have bought or rent from brokerages, which one did you have the best experience with? I know about Douglas Elliman, and Bond and Town and Citi.

But I don't wanna join one of those and they have a horrible reputation. I'd love the suggestions on the best place to work at? Maybe a smaller boutique place.
As a tourist --NYC seems like the place to be, but really it's not for most residents unless you are doing very well financially.

Why not stay in Houston and simply enjoy vacationing in NYC? Chances are you're doing far more interesting things like sight-seeing and such when you come to town, than the average disgruntled NYC resident.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM

@citygirl332

hahaha. Well, that is why I plan on making multiple trips to NYC over then next two years to see if I really actually could enjoy it. The next times that I go, I won't be sightseeing. Or at least keep it to a medium. As a real estate agent, we tend to have a little more free time than a 9-5 worker. Our hours can vary. But I've been in Houston or Texas per say for 27 years. I'm tired of Texas.

What are the worst and best months to come? I came in June. So I figure I need to come in the dead of the cold like around December or January and then when else? If I move up there, I'll have way more money than I need set aside.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
@citygirl332

hahaha. Well, that is why I plan on making multiple trips to NYC over then next two years to see if I really actually could enjoy it. The next times that I go, I won't be sightseeing. Or at least keep it to a medium. As a real estate agent, we tend to have a little more free time than a 9-5 worker. Our hours can vary. But I've been in Houston or Texas per say for 27 years. I'm tired of Texas.
People can survive in NYC on next to nothing, but I don't think you want to just survive, I'm sure you want to do well for yourself and have ample money for savings, entertainment and dining out. On the housing front, it's good that you work in real estate because you may be able to network and get some good deals.

Quote:
What are the worst and best months to come? I came in June. So I figure I need to come in the dead of the cold like around December or January and then when else? If I move up there, I'll have way more money than I need set aside.
I've always disliked winter-time in NYC. The temps tend to drop below freezing around late November and the weather remains pretty horrid until around April, so feel free to come to NYC during that time if you want to get a feel for what the cold temps are like. NYC looks really pretty when it's snowing, but after a day or two the snow turns dingy due to the trash and dog urine/poop that tends to accumulate. One thing you'll learn really quickly, NYC residents love their pets but very few clean up after them.

I wish you well but it's probably a good idea not to expect too much from NYC and you won't ever be disappointed. As the saying goes, "NY NY the big city of dreams, NY NY ain't always what it seems".

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,209 times
I dont think there is any difference at all to the consumer on any of those firms - Corcoran, Elliman, Bond, Town, whatever. Keller Williams is new in the last 2-3 years to New York, having bought the team of a Prudential Douglas Elliman broker, so maybe they have the new name disadvantage, but that is really a marketing thing.

Payouts to salespeople vary a lot by brokerage and being at a bigger place might give you more logistical resources and quicker access to in-house listings with the downside of a lower payout.

The NYC real estate market is unlike any in the rest of this country. Most importantly, you better figure out how selling co-ops and condos (co-ops especially) is different than a SFH. I suspect there are more brokers here and more brokers without success as many think selling at 5-6% on higher priced homes is a nice ticket, but many fail to attract listings. I think the stat I saw was that number of brokers = number of closings per year, meaning the average is one and the reality is a few get many and many get none.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM

@crescent22. I 100% agree that it is going to be a world apart. I actually have a cousin who is best buddies with a New York Giant. So that's nice, But I will start reaching out and making contracts at least a year before I get there. I don't want to be one of those agents with no business or just one sale every 6 months.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Please relocate to NYC, we have a shortage of RE agents here.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Please relocate to NYC, we have a shortage of RE agents here.
LOL awesome,

Also heres a video of some typical clients in NYC, as an agent myself i can say 95% of this has happened to me lol

Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:

I think the stat I saw was that number of brokers = number of closings
per year

Good lord, that's awful!

So you mean HGTV has been lying to us all this time.?

Joking aside,
It has to be a stressful cutthroat business and anyone who thinks he is going to have a lot of free time is probably kidding himself.

(look at poor LUIS!)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

38 posts, read 65,527 times
I am an agent with Keller Williams NYC. I recently moved there after being with a boutique firm for 5 years. I have been recruited by some of the larger firms over the years, and feel that Keller Williams offers amazing support and training for its agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: