Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 29,354 times

Advertisements

I am a woman in her late 50's, although I act and looks early 40's. I live in the NYC area, have lived here my entire life. I have been married and in a long term relationship. I am finding it hard to make friends now and finding a relationship. I don't know if it's just NY or all over that alot of men my age are looking for 20 or 30 somethings? as far a friends, I work full time and try the meetup groups, they are so so. I know they say NY has so much to offer, but sometimes I wonder. Is there a place that offers more for single women or single people in their 50's? Its also very expensive to live here compared to other places, but I'm apprehensive to jump because I know the grass is not always greener! I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,836,383 times
Many women move here to meet men. Also many women relocate here after meeting a NYC man that visited their former city. You have to check the stats of the number of men to the number of men where you are planning on moving. Do you have a hobby or acivity that both men and women participate in that you enjoy?

Last year my neighbor married at age 60, and my friends mother remarried at 72. They both look fabulous and look and act younger than their ages. Both live in NYC.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM

15,468 posts, read 15,438,667 times
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you debating moving away from New York to meet people? Or are you debating moving within the NYC area to meet people? Or are you asking whether moving at all makes any sense?

I'd think if you've lived here all your life, you should have a lot of friends. I think the idea of Meetups is great, but I suspect that once you're over 30, that more conventional non-internet options are even better. I do know someone who left NYC in her 40s specifically because she wanted to marry. She moved to a western state, married a nice laid-back guy who was, to put it politely, somewhat "beneath" her, moved back, and the married broke up a few years later.

There are certainly ways to research what other cities that might work for you. Have you seen the annual "best cities" issue that one of the financial magazines puts out?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 29,354 times
thanks for the replies. Yes, I want to know if its worth it to move to meet someone. Wow, can't believe that couple broke up because he was beneath her! yes i have seen the financial mags put out.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
I think it is always difficult to meet people in the big American cities. One has to seek out people with common interests by joining clubs, taking classes, etc. There will always be some older men that will only date much younger women no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: