Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM

237 posts, read 482,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Actually, I know of several people who pay less than $750, and live in the city with a commute under 30 in good neighborhoods (in their own private apartments). I don't see what's so idiotic about asking about such places when they actually exist. I also think it's funny how highbrow the attitude has become on this thread. God forbid any bad fortune hit your life. Sometimes people get put in dire straits through no fault of their own. They try to make a better life the best way they know how and are met with nothing but criticism. She is not a government leech looking to drain the system, all she is looking for is short-term assistance and a fair shot.
I agree with this, but I also see Mightyqueens' point, because a lot of people on this forum try to steer people towards NJ or Long Island with the promise of lower costs/rents that don't really exist. I think you're more likely to find a low-cost apartment somewhere in the city than you are in the suburbs, where pricy single-family homes dominate most of the landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 PM

206 posts, read 294,311 times
Food service industry is always looking for people. Catering, staffing agencies, restaurants. Just lie about experience these are jobs you learn as you go.

If you're in a really tough spot there is a church in the lower east side that gives free all you can eat breakfast Saturday mornings. PM me if you want to know the details.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
Food service industry is always looking for people. Catering, staffing agencies, restaurants. Just lie about experience these are jobs you learn as you go.
Yes. Try Restaurant Associates. They service many office buildings.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
I agree with this, but I also see Mightyqueens' point, because a lot of people on this forum try to steer people towards NJ or Long Island with the promise of lower costs/rents that don't really exist. I think you're more likely to find a low-cost apartment somewhere in the city than you are in the suburbs, where pricy single-family homes dominate most of the landscape.
You might find a lower cost apartment in the form of a BASEMENT. LOL That's even true of the outer boroughs. People will go on about these great deals, and its generally not a legal apartment. Its usually a subdivided division of what was meant to be a single family home. Or you might find someone who is taking in borders in their home proper.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
You can find plenty of deals in the city, if you only look hard enough. Not all are sh*tty basement studios (although at that price, that's the common denominator). I would say more, not giving up my secrets . If you have enough stamina and half a brain in your head... you will find something affordable without a ridiculous commute. But that is hard work and ain't no one handing you easy answers. If you looked for easy, stay at home and take care of your kids. That would be the responsible/logical thing anyway. I mean, my God... do you want them to turn into a bunch of knocked up drug-infested little psychos because Mommy was out chasing her dream on the government dime? I was kind of sweet on you until today, which was real shi*ty for me. Grow the f*ck up and take care of your f*cking CHILDREN. I pay taxes out my ass and ain't got no time for your immature drama. You wanna cry about how down and out you are? No one gives two fuc(ing sh*ts!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-27-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Exactly. Thank you.

Trust me, we see this all the time on the Jersey forum. There are a certain percentage of people in the city who seem to think that it's signficantly cheaper to live on the other side of the Hudson. It can be--but that comes with crime and danger and bad schools and rats. A quarter million people commute from Jersey to NYC every single day. The competition to live somewhere with a short commute--meaning an hour or less--is very tight, and when everyone wants the same thing, prices go up. That's a no brainer. You want to live in a nice building in a safe Jersey City neighborhood? Good. Pay $2K+ for a 2 bedroom. No, it's not Manhattan's $4K, but it's not $800 either.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Three kids, student loans, barely any savings, no job secured, and you are questioning if it's possible? Anything is possible, but this is highly risky. If you had some savings, a job lined up and money to move up I would say sure go for it! But that's a dumb move in my opinion. NYC isn't the only place that offers jobs. I'm sure there are tons of cities from FL to NYC that have much cheaper and easier transitions for you. So if you get all your stuff up here and it doesn't work out you are stuck in a city that is MASSIVELY expensive with a child (maybe more if you bring all 3) having to live in unsafe shelters with the lowest of the low. That sounds worse then being in your area now.

Basically it's your dream to live in NYC and you are buy into all the excitement it has to offer. Be aware that yes NYC can be great, but only if you have means. What's the point of living here scraping by? Why kill yourself to live here when you won't have the money to do anything cool? But hey, at the end of the day it's your choice. Just don't ask a question like that and expect everyone to fawn all over you and say how great of a decision it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City