U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM

143 posts, read 605,497 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you are all tired of answering questions of this type, but your input would be invaluable.....I am considering a job in NYC for 60K. Would I even be able to live on this amount. I love Manhattan, but is living there out of the question for that salary? I don't need a big place, just a place.

Here's the tough part of the question: I may be able to take the same salary in Chicago. Does anyone know how much better off I'll be there?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

73 posts, read 334,179 times
I'm not sure so much about Manhattan, but with 60k/yr you'd definitely be able to afford a decent apartment in a vibrant, reasonably safe neighborhood with quick and easy public transportation to downtown if you were to live in Chicago. It's not a cheap city, but from what I've heard the cost of living is nothing near what it is in Manhattan, or even the outer boroughs for that matter.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM

1,410 posts, read 4,932,688 times
You wouldn’t be living the high life, but you could do it. You could find a rent-stabilized studio or maybe a teeny tiny one-bedroom $1500-2000 in the “cooler” neighborhoods of Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. The Upper East Side is so “uncool” that there are relative bargains to be had. You’ll also pay less if you have more tolerance for longer train rides to Downtown and fewer amenities if you look in Upper Manhattan, southern Brooklyn and the Bronx, and further into Queens.

If you are young and like to go out a lot, you should look into a roommate situation so you would have more money to spend on nights out. Drinks are expensive.

My husband and I like our huge one-bedroom we pay $1350 for in Washington Heights, but a single friend moved up here and hated having to pay for cab fare at the end of the night if it wasn’t a sure thing.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM

25,508 posts, read 38,940,896 times
at 60K, you'll be taking home roughly 3000 a month after taxes if you're single
if u want to live somewhere really expect to spend about half of that in rent for a studio
of course there are deals to be had, but these are in the outer boros....but 60K in nyc is definitely liveable. you wont exactly starve but you may not be a "baller" either...

Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM

11,219 posts, read 15,075,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
I'm sure you are all tired of answering questions of this type, but your input would be invaluable.....I am considering a job in NYC for 60K. Would I even be able to live on this amount. I love Manhattan, but is living there out of the question for that salary? I don't need a big place, just a place.

Here's the tough part of the question: I may be able to take the same salary in Chicago. Does anyone know how much better off I'll be there?
It's out of the question. I make $80k and i was renting an apartment for $1,000/mo. 6 months later I moved back in with my parents and hev been there ever since. It may be do-able but there is a lot of stuff you will have to cut back on...namely fun & recreation. I lived off cup o' soup for months.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

25,508 posts, read 38,940,896 times
i disagree...you can live off 60K in nyc as a single u just cant have everything u want.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,308,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i disagree...you can live off 60K in nyc as a single u just cant have everything u want.
like decent meals, been there done that, it's ok for a 20 something to go to happy hours for their buffets but that lifestyle gets old quick

Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 PM

1,410 posts, read 4,932,688 times
My husband and I lived off less while he was in grad school. It wasn't great, but it was worth it.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,308,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
My husband and I lived off less while he was in grad school. It wasn't great, but it was worth it.
nobody says it can't be done, but nobody who does it enjoys it

Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,737,103 times
It's livable in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City