Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There were a lot of other factors making those areas you mentioned expensive. San Francisco is in the Bay area, which is the tech capital. So the whole Bay area is expensive because of that. West Hollywood is next to Beverly Hills, and there are a lot of entertainment companies there. Chelsea is in between Midtown and Downtown, and the renovation of Chelsea was due to huge tax subsidies to developers. For that matter, SF and California gave out huge subsidies to the tech sector to develop it. West Village, again it's between two big business centers and also got the same subsidies.
Agreed. These areas are not good examples of areas that were once dilapidated, then gentrified. Perhaps, pockets of SF, were needing gentrification. However, SF, West Hollywood were once affordable, and gay guys have only exacerbated the increase all the more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Agreed. These areas are not good examples of areas that were once dilapidated, then gentrified. Perhaps, pockets of SF, were needing gentrification. However, SF, West Hollywood were once affordable, and gay guys have only exacerbated the increase all the more so.
West Hollywood is close to what town/ Beverly Hills. Most gay men could not afford to live in Beverly Hills, and there are a lot of wealthy straights that live there. There are a lot of gay bars in WeHo (that's what they call it) along Santa Monica Blvd. The bars and restaurants on Sunset Blvd are straight.

But basically, the real reason Weho is mad expensive is because it borders Beverly Hills.

Certain places like Hollywood and Silverlake were temporarily affordable when white flight occurred nationally. A lot of big cities went down big time, because of this urban disinvestment. As soon as governmental and corporate policies changed, white flight reversed and areas that were well to do, but later on poor, became expensive again. Gays have very little to do with it.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, and boy can I tell stories !!!

And I can add a few that would get City-Data thrown off the internet.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM

In my lifetime, the only gay demographic surprise that I cannot fully get my head around is what caused the core of the gay population to move Northward from the West Village. where it had been based for decades, to Chelsea.
Was it in search of less run-down housing, was it in search of better property values? (Or were the Spike, the Eagle and the Strap so inviting? ) Were too many straight families moving to the W. Village?

Was it the seedy itinerant nighttime population of THE DEUCE being moved down to Christopher Street?

In the coming decades will there be a comparable move of gays AWAY from Chelsea?

<Remember the short term phenomenon where all gays wanted to move to PLAINFIELD, NJ. We even looked at a couple Victorian homes...all I could think about was TERMITES and endless cleaning of 20 rooms. Unfortunately all we could afford would have been a VERY fixer upper...like a lifetime's worth of fixing? I think it was all a clever Chamber of Commerce gimmick.>

Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In my lifetime, the only gay demographic surprise that I cannot fully get my head around is what caused the core of the gay population to move Northward from the West Village. where it had been based for decades, to Chelsea.
Was it in search of less run-down housing, was it in search of better property values? (Or were the Spike, the Eagle and the Strap so inviting? ) Were too many straight families moving to the W. Village?

Was it the seedy itinerant nighttime population of THE DEUCE being moved down to Christopher Street?

The original Spike and Eagle, OMG, and stories, yeah seriosuly.....but this is CD, I know.....

In the coming decades will there be a comparable move of gays AWAY from Chelsea?

<Remember the short term phenomenon where all gays wanted to move to PLAINFIELD, NJ. We even looked at a couple Victorian homes...all I could think about was TERMITES and endless cleaning of 20 rooms. Unfortunately all we could afford would have been a VERY fixer upper...like a lifetime's worth of fixing? I think it was all a clever Chamber of Commerce gimmick.>
I think there was no more room in the Village so the boyz crept up and Chelsea was the next neighborhood and yet still close enough.

that's why they are all going to hells kitchen. way too many young families have been movning in Chelsea, more strollers and less boyz. a tear forms.

I'm telling ya, the worst was seeing women wheeling a stroller down Christopher Street, it was like an axe to the head.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
america is gay as hell now. it's a shame.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
america is gay as hell now. it's a shame.
gay as hell. Gay people are a small minority. Heterosexuals are the majority.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
gay as hell. Gay people are a small minority. Heterosexuals are the majority.
Homosexuality is primarily a big thing in urban areas and not so much in rural and suburban areas unless someone is in the closet!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM

As long as heterosexuals keep producing slews of gay men, they continue to have a function,

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Homosexuality is primarily a big thing in urban areas and not so much in rural and suburban areas unless someone is in the closet!
Homosexuals are everywhere, without exception. Some places are just more tolerant and open, which in turn attracts more of them and leads us to believe that there are more than in other places. But make no mistake, even in ultra-conservative places like Saudi Arabia, gay people exist.

I remember reading somewhere that approx. 10% of the world population is born homosexual.

in other news, big win today via the SCOTUS. We're finally making progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City