Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 36,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Look at those wonderful happy bohemians!

where do I sign up? (in a fecal stained bathroom stall I assume)
The OP is nuts.
Eventually he's going to lose everything he has and is going to find himself
doing extreme immoral chit just to get high. He'll be in someones alley giving
someone a ----job for $5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM

73 posts, read 69,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Heroin does not need to be a part of life. I've lived 27 years and managed to never try it.
Most things don't "need" to be part of life. Yet people have different tastes, different hobbies and yes, for some of us that includes recreational opiate use.

Quote:
The OP is nuts.
Eventually he's going to lose everything he has and is going to find himself
doing extreme immoral chit just to get high. He'll be in someones alley giving
someone a ----job for $5.
I have had the pleasure of meeting mauve_greenpoint IRL, and mauve_greenpoint is not a "he".

Also, you people are buying into a lot of movie and media stereotypes about those of us who choose this lifestyle. Stereotypes that are flatly untrue.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget79 View Post
Also, you people are buying into a lot of movie and media stereotypes about those of us who choose this lifestyle. Stereotypes that are flatly untrue.
Believe it or not, some of us have vastly more real world experience in this realm than you could ever imagine. If I never had to deal with a disgusting junkie again, I'd be a very, very happy man. I prefer every junkie kill themselves than me continuing to bring home to my family whatever nasty germs they expose me to. That said, I'll be dealing with them for at least two more days this week alone, wonderful.

If people like you two fools actually exist, YOU'RE the exception. The truth is what you call stereotypes, and they're all over this city in plain sight. You'd have to be blind or not a resident of NYC to not know that.

Wait, I take back the part about the blind. They're not stupid like you, they just can't see.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Believe it or not, some of us have vastly more real world experience in this realm than you could ever imagine. If I never had to deal with a disgusting junkie again, I'd be a very, very happy man. I prefer every junkie kill themselves than me continuing to bring home to my family whatever nasty germs they expose me to. That said, I'll be dealing with them for at least two more days this week alone, wonderful.

If people like you two fools actually exist, YOU'RE the exception. The truth is what you call stereotypes, and they're all over this city in plain sight. You'd have to be blind or not a resident of NYC to not know that.

Wait, I take back the part about the blind. They're not stupid like you, they just can't see.
lol!

I can more than imagine just about anything in this realm, as you call it, having been walking this path since I was in junior high school in the 1990s.

If you are anxious about germs, perhaps you should have a talk with somebody about that.

RE: The people you talk about being all over the city, in plain sight....I am sure that some DO use opiates, while others use coke, crack, or alcohol. But what's most important in understanding the homeless and panhandlers is the concept of 'dual diagnosis'. That is to say most of these people suffer from a major mental illness in addition to abuse of or dependence on alcohol or illicit drugs. Generally it is this un-treated underlying condition, be it schizophrenia or bipolar or something else, that is really at the bottom of their predicament. The drugs are almost a red herring.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/wordp...iuce-1966c.jpg

http://theinformationrevolution.file...-airplaine.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irjPg1KGoI
Looks like PSH

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-09-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM

371 posts, read 815,608 times
I find this thread somewhat fascinating. I find it interesting the ways these heroin addicts are attempting to normalize their addiction. It gives us a window into addiction psychology.

Almost no doubt these people are addicted to heroin. I'm not judging or saying they are terrible people. But, the fact is they are drug addicts who probably continue to use because their bodies are physically addicted to it, not because they prefer being a heroin addict over being a person who can function normally without injecting/ingesting a dangerous chemical into their bodies.

They attempt to frame it as a lifestyle, a hobby, or a minor crutch -- no different than the guy who throws back a few beers after work to take the edge off. Or, it's merely a thrill seeking endeavor, similar to an adrenaline junky who puts his life on the line for a thrill. I do not see it that way. I see a daily heroin addiction more akin to the raging alcohol who wakes up on the middle of the night to drink -- its just that heroin does not impair the body in the same way, so they are often more able to appear to function normally, especially if they use primarily to maintain, and, importantly, more able to convince themselves that everything is fine, and that its merely recreational use. It's not. Daily heroin use for years is not a small thing.

In other words, its a major, major problem. By all objective measures, it's not something to casually brush off as a lifestyle choice. It's a life wrecker. It requires serious intervention if the addict is going to really fully realize their life. The stakes are that high.

That is why I find it curious that addicts in the throes of this major life-wrecking black hole can be so casual about the whole thing, and stick their noses up at recovery. I'm not judging, I'm just saying this aspect of addict psychology is hard for me to understand. But, then again, I'm not a heroin addict like you, so I can't really put myself in your shoes.

If you could snap your fingers and make this addiction go away, wouldn't you?

Last edited by bowneline; 02-10-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
People who turn to drugs are running away from something in life

Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 15,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
People who turn to drugs are running away from something in life
Drug war just say no talking points. Cliches!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM

mauve_greenpoint is, once again, spot on.

What we are talking about here, and have been all along, is a lifestyle choice. A controversial one perhaps, but a lifestyle choice nonetheless.

It is neither necessary nor helpful to read more into it than that.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM

371 posts, read 815,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget79 View Post
mauve_greenpoint is, once again, spot on.

What we are talking about here, and have been all along, is a lifestyle choice. A controversial one perhaps, but a lifestyle choice nonetheless.

It is neither necessary nor helpful to read more into it than that.
With all due respect, I wouldn't personally characterize it as a "lifestyle choice" if your body is physically addicted to the heroin and can't likely function normally without it at this point.

The addiction forces you to use, so it's not as if you are at an easy cross-roads each time you use, and continue to shoot up because you prefer being a heroin addict over being clean.

Again, I think the important question is: If you could snap your fingers and be completely free of heroin, wouldn't you? Wouldn't you prefer to live a normal life, and to never have gotten mixed up in this addictive, expensive and potentially deadly habit?

If you had that power, and you can honestly say that you wouldn't instantly become clean, then I suppose you might actually be able to call it a choice. But, I suspect you, and nearly all heroin addicts, would greatly prefer being clean, but can't because the addiction has a stranglehold on you.

I don't envy your position, and I truly wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City