Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM

19,020 posts, read 13,932,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget79 View Post
It is neither necessary nor helpful to read more into it than that.
It is very necessary to pay attention to and react appropriately when dealing with people like you.

First off, many of your kind present a criminal threat to society. I'm well prepared to deal with that aspect of your kind. Secondly, your "lifestyle choice" is a threat to the safety and physical well-being of my children. It needs to be exposed clearly for what it is: a dangerous, disgusting, self-degrading, horrible addiction. By doing so, I ensure that any temptation my children may encounter has been off-set by the correct information I have provided them with. I am reasonably certain that they will make the right decisions when they encounter degenerates like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM

8,102 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It is very necessary to pay attention to and react appropriately when dealing with people like you.

First off, many of your kind present a criminal threat to society. I'm well prepared to deal with that aspect of your kind. Secondly, your "lifestyle choice" is a threat to the safety and physical well-being of my children. It needs to be exposed clearly for what it is: a dangerous, disgusting, self-degrading, horrible addiction. By doing so, I ensure that any temptation my children may encounter has been off-set by the correct information I have provided them with. I am reasonably certain that they will make the right decisions when they encounter degenerates like you.
"Lifestyle choice" just does not sound right..."deathstyle"choice is more appropriate.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM

73 posts, read 69,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
With all due respect, I wouldn't personally characterize it as a "lifestyle choice" if your body is physically addicted to the heroin and can't likely function normally without it at this point.

The addiction forces you to use, so it's not as if you are at an easy cross-roads each time you use, and continue to shoot up because you prefer being a heroin addict over being clean.

Again, I think the important question is: If you could snap your fingers and be completely free of heroin, wouldn't you? Wouldn't you prefer to live a normal life, and to never have gotten mixed up in this addictive, expensive and potentially deadly habit?

If you had that power, and you can honestly say that you wouldn't instantly become clean, then I suppose you might actually be able to call it a choice. But, I suspect you, and nearly all heroin addicts, would greatly prefer being clean, but can't because the addiction has a stranglehold on you.

I don't envy your position, and I truly wish you the best of luck.
Thank you.

Answering your question...

If I could become instantly become clean, but it was contingent upon leading a life of "abstinence", my reply to that proposal would be "no {expletive} thank you!"

If I could magically snap my fingers and reduce my tolerance, but still lead this lifestyle, well off course I would go for THAT! I mean, who doesn't like to save a little money these days?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:05 PM

73 posts, read 69,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Oh my. It sounds like you have invoked "won't somebody think of the children!" That's almost like a variation of Godwin's Law lol!

Frankly, you are allowing yourself to be confused by stereotypes again. The fact is that even the most unscrupulous heroin dealers are not hanging around schoolyards saying "the first one is always free". There is too much heat for too little return, when so many well-paid adults are ready to pay cash on the barrelhead. It's a need-driven market, after all.

Now me personally, I started very young, when I WAS still in school. I started with Vicodin and soon moved on to bigger and better things. One of the first things I noticed about this lifestyle was that many people in it were old enough to be my parents. Today me and my s.o. are mid 30s and we are probably below the median age still. Now and then you see people around 21 showing up, college kids s and recent ex military, but unlike pot or club drugs this is a grown up's game.

If you are worried about drugs corrupting minors, you need to be worrying about different drugs.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM

19,020 posts, read 13,932,533 times
What was that, junkie?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget79 View Post

If you are worried about drugs corrupting minors, you need to be worrying about different drugs.
12 people I knew under the age of 25 from my home town have died in the last year from heroin over doses.

I think we are worrying about the right drug.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM

14 posts, read 15,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
12 people I knew under the age of 25 from my home town have died in the last year from heroin over doses.

I think we are worrying about the right drug.
Minors? under 25? Live and let live. we don't bother anybody

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauve_greenpoint View Post
Minors? under 25? Live and let live. we don't bother anybody
More like live and let die.

Of course they aren't bothering anyone they're are dead. Their families such with they were around to bother them.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

14 posts, read 15,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
More like live and let die.

Of course they aren't bothering anyone they're are dead. Their families such with they were around to bother them.
Minors or under 25 Im confused. Most who choose 2 use...not teenagers.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauve_greenpoint View Post
Live and let live. we don't bother anybody
If that were only true. Many families of users are destroyed by the addictions, whether the parents or the children. It's certainly a lifestyle that is hard for most to maintain, with stealing or dealing to support the habit. You may live in your own world, as many users do, but somewhere there are probably family, friends and co-workers, that have been left behind. If you've ODed, you've used EMS & hospitals, usually without the ability to pay for the rescue. The cost to sociey is enormous.
Would legalization solve the problem? It would make drugs cheaper for you, and reduce the costs of the criminal justice system. Still, alcohol is legal, and its abuse costs society a lot of tax dollars, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City