Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM

483 posts, read 870,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Ive rented rent stabilized apts to clients many times (IM AN AGENT) a landlord legally cant ask for more than one months security or rent. Please be careful and report them. Everything must be paid in Checks so you can easily see what the amount of the checks are being made. If hes asking cash then more red flags.
P.T. Barnum said it best: " A sucker is born every five minutes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Yes.

Advice - do or say what you need to in order to get the apartment.
Then, file complaints.
This man knows what he's talking about!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM

338 posts, read 677,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
you didn't even move in and your having problems.

just what a LL needs a problem tenant before the tenant even moves in

Huh????? How does making sure you're not being jobbed and that everyone follows the law turn the prospective tenant into a "problem"? Following the law is problematic? Huh?

OP, the landlord and the broker both sound sleazy. If you really like the apartment consider it, and then after moving in report both of them--keep notes on everything and then follow up. Otherwise walk away (and still report them).

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you all seem to understand this better than i do.

since a rent stabilized lease is likely to cite the law right on the application ( LL can ask for one months's security only) i don't understand how a landlord would be able to get away with listing 2 months on the application. it would be a blatant violation of the RS law
I would assume, since I do not know anyone who does this, that there is some sort of a rider, or even just a receipt for the second month that does not specify the second month is a security deposit. Unless, of course, as mentioned earlier, this is a cash request, in which case, it is treated as if it does not exist, or it is listed as part of the broker's commission.

Since it is RS, there is no arguing that each roommate has to pay a full security deposit, as could be required under a non-RS lease when you have students with guarantors.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
New York leases on regulated apartments are boilerplate documents and the wording is always the same: one month's security. Some landlords in UNregulated apartments (in a new apartment building, or an apartment in a private house) sometimes use these boilerplates, but most aren't so nice and legally they can write their own lease (in a luxury apartment building) or not have a lease at all (often in a private house). For these, both the secrurity deposit and broker's fee can be anything under the sun.

If your apartment really IS in a regulated building, then the security is ONE MONTH'S rent, period. But your broker's or agent's fees can be as "last-minute revised" as possible, and in Manhattan or Forest Hills in Queens, anything can happen and does. It's all happened to me: once, my broker's fee was one month's rent, another time it was only 75% of one month "if you can pay me the fee in cash" or (this was in an unregulated apartment) a month and a half's rent for the agent and two months' rent for the deposit. One landlord refused to return my deposit when I moved out so I went to the NY State Attorney General's Office to get it back (I got it back in full + interest).

BOTTOM LINE: New York has a housing shortage in all 5 boroughs, so a good number of landlords, agents and brokers are wheeler-dealers out to increase their takes. There are a few good apples among them but a CARTLOAD FULL of bad ones. Yours sounds like a shady broker, but in Manhattan, where so many young people dream of living, most of them are probably shady because they can be.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
i am fortunate that my current landlord (RS) and my old landlord (rented in a co op bldg) did everything by the book and did not resort to this stuff mentioned by mason and the other posters

Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

It is up to you what you want to do in this situation. However, I would not rent the apartment, knowingly paying two months of security just to file complaints after you establish tenancy; rather, I would just walk away if they refused to budge on the security deposit issue, and make reports to the appropriate agencies and real estate board.
Thank you for providing all this info. I agree with what you said about walking away. To me, it's just not worth it. I'd rather loose a $300 application fee than $3,000 of two months' security, and then have to go through the headache of filing complaints. Plus, I really don't think I want this guy as my landlord anyway. While the apartment was beautiful and in a great neighborhood, the railroad-style just wasn't ideal. Back to the drawing board.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megzi View Post
Thank you for providing all this info. I agree with what you said about walking away. To me, it's just not worth it. I'd rather loose a $300 application fee than $3,000 of two months' security, and then have to go through the headache of filing complaints. Plus, I really don't think I want this guy as my landlord anyway. While the apartment was beautiful and in a great neighborhood, the railroad-style just wasn't ideal. Back to the drawing board.
What complaints? You put down the security & two months deposit, then you don't pay the next month. When he comes knocking you remind him that you already paid that month and he can't hold it. Pretty simple

Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,352 times
So the broker got back to me, and stated that the second month's deposit (which they had been calling the "second" security fee) would now be counted as last month's rent, and printed on the lease as such. I told him landlords of rent stabilized units can't ask for last month's rent up front, and he stated they can if the tenants have guarantors, no income (my two part-time jobs just ended, and my roommate will be adjuncting in the fall), and 0 credit (apparently, paying utility and rent bills doesn't count as established credit, you must have an actual credit card). He claims to have called the DHCR and confirmed. This all sounds so convoluted to me, but I will wait and see. In addition, the broker tells me he isn't sure if the unit will be finished in time by my move-in date (July 28), because he didn't even tell the landlord when my exact move-in date was (!) even though I had told him the date 2 weeks earlier. He stated the unit still needs renovations done, and he will know for sure by next Tuesday if it can all be done in a month.

Obviously I do feel like we're being played for suckers, but I guess we just have to let it play out, and be super-cautious. In the meantime, I'm looking for other places.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It is my understanding that you may not ask for a last month's rent on a stabilized lease, regardless as to individual qualifications because your guarantors meet the requirements and are agreeing to pay the rent. I would check with the Metropolitan Council on Housing and the DHCR yourself, because I think it's a spin to try to get the second month. And, it's a good idea to keep looking, especially since now there's doubt as to whether or not it will be ready for market soon.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-28-2013 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City