U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

I was looking at Google Maps to find out if 63 Maple Avenue Port Richmond still existed and somehow came upon this site. I have letters from members of my father's family who lived there in the 1890s, and am curious to know what it is like these days. I live in Australia; the relatives were originally Norwegian - part of the family went to the US, part to Australia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

518 posts, read 736,321 times
It is a part of Staten Island that has had better days. Many auto repair and junk yards are in the area along with a mix of old frame houses and low rent apartment buildings. Crime has been a problem there for decades. #63 Maple Avenue no longer exists. It is not listed on NYC's list of properties on Maple Avenue. It may have stood where an old, unused train trestle now stands.

Were your ancestors Merchant Seamen? I ask because many from Norway settled in that part of Staten Island, as well as in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. Some retired to Sailors Snug Harbor, a home for retired seaman on Staten Island. That still exists today but the old sailors are no longer there. It is now a cultural center Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is the result of more than three decades of restoration and development to convert the first home for retired sailors in the United States to a regional arts center. Snug Harbor is a place where history,

Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
It is a part of Staten Island that has had better days. Many auto repair and junk yards are in the area along with a mix of old frame houses and low rent apartment buildings. Crime has been a problem there for decades. #63 Maple Avenue no longer exists. It is not listed on NYC's list of properties on Maple Avenue. It may have stood where an old, unused train trestle now stands.

Were your ancestors Merchant Seamen? I ask because many from Norway settled in that part of Staten Island, as well as in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. Some retired to Sailors Snug Harbor, a home for retired seaman on Staten Island. That still exists today but the old sailors are no longer there. It is now a cultural center Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is the result of more than three decades of restoration and development to convert the first home for retired sailors in the United States to a regional arts center. Snug Harbor is a place where history,

I really appreciate your reply - thank you very much. They were merchant seamen, from Bergen. I am looking forward to telling my sister,who has been tracing family history. Thanks again, Margaret.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 8,991,415 times
If you look around that area you will find a lot of traces of its past, widow's walks on the old bigger houses, disintergrating dock pilings, distintergrated boats here and there, defunct harbor rail lines. Some of the institutions have survived, as pointed out above, also the Seaman's Society, which was founded in the 1840's as a charity for sailor's wives and children (due to the hi losses at sea) which has now morphed into a foster child agency. Its still there on bay st. in Statebn island though.

The north shore of Staten Island, considering its relatively easy commute to downtown NYC, financial center, and its great views onto the harbor, is really a wasted opportunity. SI boro politicians are hopeless.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM

11,534 posts, read 8,688,063 times
Do you know if any of your relatives died while in the merchant service? There's an old "forgotten" cemetery near my house full of men from the merchant marines. If you are interested, I could try to find your relatives. I walk in that woods area a lot.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM

518 posts, read 736,321 times
A free search of the 1930 U.S. Census can be done here 1930 Census | 1930 U.S. Federal Census Records

Ancestry.com has a better indexed search but they will charge a fee.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I really didn't think anyone would reply. All very helpful. I'm pretty sure the seaman,Charles Reynolds, lived past retirement so would probably not be in the cemetery. Not sure,though - when his daughter Carrie wrote in 1896 he had had quite a bit of trouble with his chest. Sadly the families seem to have lost contact. The brother who came to Australia went bush, gold prospecting, and ended up owning a store in outback New South Wales.....amazing where fate can take you. I will follow up the Census also. Thanks, Margaret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: