U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 AM

6 posts, read 15,319 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in the summer. He's american and I am Italian, he got offered a place with the New York teaching fellows, and he'll be making roughly 41,000/usd a year. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I will be out of work and minding the kid full time. The other source of income will be a mere 500-550 usd a month we will be getting from renting our italian apartment.

Although we are very excited for the opportunity, we are concerned about the finances.
Will it be feasible to move and live in New York City on such a low income?

Any word of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thanks a mil!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,997,045 times
Paola

I am an American living in Assisi. We are planning on moving out to NY or CT in the next year or so.

I was just in NY last month.

To answer your question, it is doable, but it is going to be very tight. Does your husband's job provide healthcare? How long are you planning on staying? A Manhattan apartment is very expensive. Where is his job?

Try craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and search for you rental.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 15,319 times
Many thanks neighbour, we are located in Falconara AN

We are going to stay for 3years max. then, once my husband has earnt his master we are planning to move someplace more affordable in the US
Thankfully the job provides healthcare, dental etc..

Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM

11,447 posts, read 15,199,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolairl View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in the summer. He's american and I am Italian, he got offered a place with the New York teaching fellows, and he'll be making roughly 41,000/usd a year. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I will be out of work and minding the kid full time. The other source of income will be a mere 500-550 usd a month we will be getting from renting our italian apartment.

Although we are very excited for the opportunity, we are concerned about the finances.

Thanks a mil!
you can't live in New york city on $41,000 a year...no way. I don't mean to put a damper on your day, but I would hate for you to makr this big move and realise it's too expensive. New York City is not cheap.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,866,297 times
You certainly don't want to live in Manhattan. If you must live in NYC look at Williamsburg, Brooklyn only 1 subway stop away or Greenpoint, a few stops extra. Some parts of Queens are worth considering- Elmhurst or Middle Village, Maspeth for example. Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside are a little sketchier but closer to Manhattan. Some parts of Staten Island are worth considering but of course it's a longer commute (but a free ferry ride). The southeast parts are better but more expensive. But you don't have to live in NYC to work in NYC. Hoboken in NJ is worth a look. Just stay out of Jersey City. Look at Stamford or Norwalk in CT. You'll pay a little more in commuting but overall will be cheaper. The train to NYC is about 1 hour and less than $10. Or if you can deal with a 2 hour commute there's E. Stroudsburg, Matamoras or Milford in PA. If you need to know more specifics just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolairl View Post
Hi all,

Thanks a mil!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,698 times
NOT to discourage you , but you must be realistic about the NYC fellows program and where they place the teachers. it is most often in a high need school..........meaning the children might be quite challenging.
dont get in over your head until you know if he;s committed to the job and program.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM

1,410 posts, read 4,942,188 times
My husband did the Fellows program and sadly, I don't think the three of you can make it on the salary alone. Although there are benefits, your husband will have to pay a portion of the family healthcare coverage, it's minor but it adds up with the pension payments and taxes and union dues. There are also textbooks and supplies to be purchased.

You husband will most likely be assigned to a very rough school. My husband loves his job and finds it very rewarding, but I worry about him every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: