Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 AM

6 posts, read 16,246 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in the summer. He's american and I am Italian, he got offered a place with the New York teaching fellows, and he'll be making roughly 41,000/usd a year. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I will be out of work and minding the kid full time. The other source of income will be a mere 500-550 usd a month we will be getting from renting our italian apartment.

Although we are very excited for the opportunity, we are concerned about the finances.
Will it be feasible to move and live in New York City on such a low income?

Any word of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thanks a mil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolairl View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in the summer. He's american and I am Italian, he got offered a place with the New York teaching fellows, and he'll be making roughly 41,000/usd a year. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I will be out of work and minding the kid full time. The other source of income will be a mere 500-550 usd a month we will be getting from renting our italian apartment.

Although we are very excited for the opportunity, we are concerned about the finances.

Thanks a mil!

find a source for more income, your income level is a shade over the poverty level and you will have a very tough time of it

Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Finding another source of income would be ideal but that would mean sending my daughter to childcare, and everything I would be making would go into travelling and childcare expenses.
Sorry I forgot to mention that we are going to get full healthcare coverage.
Would that change anything?

Thanks again

Paola

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Finding another source of income would be ideal but that would mean sending my daughter to childcare, and everything I would be making would go into travelling and childcare expenses.
Sorry I forgot to mention that we are going to get full healthcare coverage.
Would that change anything?

Thanks again

Paola
not really, the health care will be a help but the numbers still are bad, it's doable but there won't be too much left after paying for basic necessities to enjoy yourselves, after taxes you'll have around $34k to spend on basics.

between rent for a place to live and utilities you'll be spending about a minimum of $15k a year.
that will get you a small apartment in a not too glamorous part of the city.
Then you need to eat, that will probably cost at least $5k per year. Then there's costs like transportation and clothing and other things that eat money up.
what are you going to do for furniture? appliances?

I would start looking at www.craiglist.org for NYC and scan the ads for apartments, used furniture and appliances and you'll see what your potential expenses will be.

good luck and you will have a great time in NY.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yes this is possible to do, but will be very difficult unless you somehow start working.

Does your husband have any family members in the area? If so you should drop the kid off with your relatives so that you work and pull in some extra income.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 51,067 times
Just by way of some balance, I moved out of my parents house on an income of $45K, paid $750 for a shared apartment in Chelsea and managed to live ok. I was putting 6% away toward retirement to get my company match but still had money to go out for fun on occasion. I didn't feel deprived at all.

Of course, that was just me, I was sharing utilities and I wasn't supporting a family on it. If I had been, I imagine things would have been very tight. But your extra income from renting the italian apartment should help a bit. I would plan on being very frugal, cutting coupons to save on groceries, buying in bulk when possible, making your husband's lunch every day, doing mostly cheap or free events for fun. Luckily, there is quite a bit to do in NYC for free.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Petunia, Mead and Apvbguy,

Thanks. We've been reading a lot of these threads and it's heartening to get a personal response of our own for the first time.

We aren't scared off yet. We are considering living car-less. I think you were assuming the same. Hopefully living with public transport will be as normal in NYC as it has been here. Will it make the numbers any friendlier?

Mead- Unfortunately, we don't know anyone in the city area who could mind our little one during the days. Our nearest relatives are on the other side of NJ. We've had a little idea though: aside from a background check, what would it take for me to work in the office of a daycare. I have experience in accounts, international business and credit management. Maybe something for another thread... but what do you think?

Anyway, as we won't know where my husband will be working (it could be BK, the Bronx...) can you give us any tell-tale signs of a good or bad area for apt. hunting in either area?

Would getting a short-term lease be smart to start until we know or inevitably just a waste of money on an income this size (41K)?

Thanks for the insight.

Paola

Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM

13 posts, read 51,067 times
I assumed you wouldn't have a car :-) Hardly anyone has a car in the city, it's too expensive to keep and park and not really necessary given the readily available public transportation system.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 PM

201 posts, read 906,028 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks a mil!

Your husband couldnt find a teaching job in a more affordable locale?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I think everyone was assuming you would not have a car.

If possible, I think the best situation would be to find a year-long sublet (or even a several-month sublet) to start -- one that is furnished with furniture and cookware, etc. (I know that 'furnished' means different things in Europe and the USA so please make sure you understand the difference). Here 'unfurnished' means there is NOTHING in the apartment besides the major appliances like refrigerator and stove; I think in Europe it means there is furniture but no linens - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you get an unfurnished (empty) apartment your start-up costs will be really high. Even if you buy used furniture, it is expensive to transport things in this city. And gone are the days of finding free furniture on the streets as this generally means you will end up with bedbugs . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: