Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1222 View Post
I don't get when people say this.You say you can't make it in NYC on minimum wage,NYC is no place for the poor,etc.But clearly there are plenty of people in NYC who work at Walgreens,Grocery stores,Hotels and such,right?How are they able to get by?Clearly everyone who lives in NYC isn't working in Manhattan with a bachelors degree working a corporate job.
Most aren't really making it. They work multiple jobs, have multiple roommates, live in the ghetto, sell drugs, collect from the state, etc. They're hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Can't pay the rent this month? Move in the middle of the night wait the 6 months for an eviction. Rinse. Repeat.

As to the OP, are you serious? Just because a city has mass transportation doesn't mean you can just show up. Who is going to hire someone who is homeless? In order to get a job, you need a phone number, address, be clean, not smell, brush your teeth, have clean clothes, etc. How can you do this if you're living on a street? NYC is not the place to be homeless in winter. You could easily freeze to death.

Get a job where you live now and save up money. Do some research online and then figure out where you'd like to go AFTER you've saved up money! And I don't mean $50. I mean thousands.

Try to find a job locally in a place like Walgreens where you could get transferred to NYC or wherever you'd ultimately like to end up.

Oh and buses and the subway aren't free. So how would someone who's homeless use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Not anymore but only if you have
family in ny, maybe.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,545 times
I have a question about moving to Bronx, I have plenty of job experience and I am currently starting school at a community college here in Arizona, I have GED, and soon I will have my associates degree. I am currently getting 5,500 dollars per semester, and work part time in doing roofing, I'm sure roofing will be out of the question because most of the city is skyscrapers, and I probably do not meet city/state regulations to work on them either. I have a car so transportation will be fine. However, I am currently saving up the money and will be taking a friend of mine also recieving a pell grant for the same amount. Although we may have jobs now, it's obvious that we will not arrive and be welcomed by open arms with a multitude of job offers either, Any tips on what part of town I should look into, and preferably somewhere insanely cheap for New York standards, we are comfortable living in month to month motels until we can find employment, but I am not stupid or crazy enough to go homeless, especially in NYC, also i will be bringing about 10,000 dollars, and my friend will also be planning to bring some money as well. But need to find away to get by on a budget that is technically under the cities poverty line. Please email me at 12mikex@gmail.com with any information that isn't spam or unwanted adds, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If one becomes umemployed while living in NYC then one should stay and look for employment. But in this economy one shouldn't move to NYC without employment unless one has plenty of funds or has a place to stay with friends or family for a potential prolonged period while seeking employment.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
If you have a roof over your head, stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City