Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 19,001 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 years old.I'm thinking about moving to New York city at some point.I have no drivers license.I know you don't really need one in NYC due to the transportation system.My question is,would I still be able to get a woman in NYC with no car?Are there plenty of men in NYC with no car who have a girlfriend or wife?Not having a car can be a big burden to a man's dating prospects in a place like Georgia,which is where I currently live.But I'm thinking in NYC,it may not be much of an issue.I'm thinking I may be able to actually settle down and get married at some point living in NYC.So what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 PM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Give the bus driver a ten buck tip, maybe he will dim the bus lights for you.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1222 View Post
I'm 27 years old.I'm thinking about moving to New York city at some point.I have no drivers license.I know you don't really need one in NYC due to the transportation system.My question is,would I still be able to get a woman in NYC with no car?Are there plenty of men in NYC with no car who have a girlfriend or wife?Not having a car can be a big burden to a man's dating prospects in a place like Georgia,which is where I currently live.But I'm thinking in NYC,it may not be much of an issue.I'm thinking I may be able to actually settle down and get married at some point living in NYC.So what do you guys think?

Most guys I know, Myself included either dated during a period they had no car or never had one. They have wives and girlfriends and do just fine. So yes, it is possible.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Being homeless and not having a job will affect you much more than not having a DL. I suggest if you are considering moving here you worry about those ahead of getting girls.

-I currently live in Georgia.I would like to move to New York but I am unemployed.I have a back injury and can't do much lifting,but I can do manual labor jobs jobs such as working a cash register,or washing dishes.I would love to move to New York because of the transportation.I have no drivers license,and I would love to live in an area where I can get wherever I need to get through the train system.I was actually thinking about taking a plane to New York and being homeless for a while,while I work odd jobs and do different types of work around the city,or perhaps work at Walgreen's or something of the sort.That is,until I save up enough money to get an apartment.Would this be a good idea?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Being homeless and not having a job will affect you much more than not having a DL. I suggest if you are considering moving here you worry about those ahead of getting girls.

-I currently live in Georgia.I would like to move to New York but I am unemployed.I have a back injury and can't do much lifting,but I can do manual labor jobs jobs such as working a cash register,or washing dishes.I would love to move to New York because of the transportation.I have no drivers license,and I would love to live in an area where I can get wherever I need to get through the train system.I was actually thinking about taking a plane to New York and being homeless for a while,while I work odd jobs and do different types of work around the city,or perhaps work at Walgreen's or something of the sort.That is,until I save up enough money to get an apartment.Would this be a good idea?
These are two separate threads.In this thread,I'm speaking of if I should move to NYC after having already saved up money,which is something I'm considering as well.I'm talking about living in NYC,with an apartment and job.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Is this a serious question? When my BF moved here years ago, he let his driver's license lapse... There are quite a few people here without driver's licenses. As far as not having a car, there are multi-millionaires here who don't own cars. I think nycangel is right—not having a license will be the least of your worries.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post

Come on give the young lad a break, he's just making sure he has all bases covered.

1. Job -- check

2. Apartment. -- check

3. DL to have a car to get some booty, errrrr I mean girlfriend.

Lol

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Lol this is funny. Of course you can get a woman in NYC with no car, but it all depends. For one you will be a transplant and most likely live amongst fellow people like yourself who are not native to NYC or the state. Most Transplants embrace urbanity and do not own a car. Those that embrace urbanity get around by mass transit, bike or even walk. Therefore you shouldnt worry because most women in your dating pool dont really desire a man that drives, if so your kind will stck to burbs. On the flipside local NYC women do desire or require a man that knows how to drive or owns a car. This is from my experience and I could be wrong

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-29-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
On the flipside local NYC women do desire or require acman that knows how to drive or owns a car. This is from my experience I could be wrong
Interesting,so a woman who was born and raised in NYC wants a man who drives,but a transplant who lives in NYC will accept a man who doesn't?Hmm.I thought it would be the other way around.Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Come on give the young lad a break, he's just making sure he has all bases covered.

1. Job -- check

2. Apartment. -- check

3. DL to have a car to get some booty, errrrr I mean girlfriend.

Cant go wrong with this.

Lol
Quote:
Interesting,so a woman who was born and raised in NYC wants a man who drives,but a transplant who lives in NYC will accept a man who doesn't?Hmm.I thought it would be the other way around.Can anyone else confirm this?
From my experience Transplant women embrace urbanity as well as living in the city center or inner city areas which has access to transit options to get to work, play and leisure, unlike there former abode in the suburbs which required a car to get to point A, B and or C and back to A, so therefore car is not needed. Don't get me wrong some will like a man to drive to see the York country side or go to Suffolk county for a weekend getaway. But not all women require a man to have a car, plenty of women in this city date guys who don't have a car, but if your a guy who has his act together, most women but most notably local women are going to expect something better. From my observation local women and women who are not native to NYC are very different and have different tastes and outcomes on what to expect from a man, its like apples and oranges going after a banana! Again however I could be wrong. Any how you can still have a relationship or even date without a car. Plenty of people do, it just depends on the woman you are with. Things can be very far worse on why women reject because you do not have a car like being fat or short!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-29-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City