Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 15,322 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
So I'm moving to Manhattan (UWS) a week on Monday to be a live in nanny... I'm moving from England, and I'm going to be there for at least a year, but probably two. I'll be 23 a couple weeks after I arrive. I have a good amount of American friends, but the NY based ones have all either moved, or gone off to college elsewhere. I'm just wondering how easy it is to make friends, with a job like that? I now NYC is huge and diverse and there are all sorts of people, but since I wont be working at an actual company, it is generally a lot harder to make friends. I know I can meet other nannies in the area, but I'd like to have a few friends who aren't in the same job as me.

Is it possible to make friends as a nanny, or do people see it as 'not a real job', and look down on you for it?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It depends on the social background of the friends you’re looking to meet. Not to be a snob, but most of the nannies in New York are Asian or Latino immigrants. You probably won’t have much in common with them.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Well over here a ton of my friends are either surfers, musicians, or work with bands, so I guess I'd be looking more towards making friends with the sorts of people who go to a lot of shows/hang out in bars and generally music orientated people... I kinda figured that the nanny friends would be a little sparse, since I'm British and don't speak another language... It's obvious I wont be rolling with the high end lawyers, so hopefully that gives a little more 'about me' if it's easier or whatever to judge how this whole meeting friends thing will pan out.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:00 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It’s is a different social situation if you’re from the UK and took a nanny job to facilitate living in Manhattan vs. an immigrant who has no skill set.

Brits tend to be very popular in New York and the city is far less snobbish than London. On the other hand, education and career are important.

Ironically I suspect you’ll want to get out of the Upper West Side, and probably Manhattan in general, as much as possible. You’ll probably have more fun in Willliamsburg or Astoria.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It depends on the social background of the friends you’re looking to meet. Not to be a snob, but most of the nannies in New York are Asian or Latino immigrants. You probably won’t have much in common with them.
There's a fair number of European au pairs among the wealthier families.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewilmot View Post
Hi all,
So I'm moving to Manhattan (UWS) a week on Monday to be a live in nanny... I'm moving from England, and I'm going to be there for at least a year, but probably two. I'll be 23 a couple weeks after I arrive. I have a good amount of American friends, but the NY based ones have all either moved, or gone off to college elsewhere. I'm just wondering how easy it is to make friends, with a job like that? I now NYC is huge and diverse and there are all sorts of people, but since I wont be working at an actual company, it is generally a lot harder to make friends. I know I can meet other nannies in the area, but I'd like to have a few friends who aren't in the same job as me.

Is it possible to make friends as a nanny, or do people see it as 'not a real job', and look down on you for it?

Thanks in advance!
Are you the "Super Nanny"?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Are you the "Super Nanny"?
Ha ha. NOt THE Super Nanny, but I'm a pretty badass nanny, if I do say so myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City