Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM

273 posts, read 672,701 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know you cannot stay in Boston and spend without going over $150. But there are inexpensive buses to Boston and DC - check out Bolt Bus I believe. With the bus and an overnight stay you could have a nice time for $250 if you stay at a hostel where prices go below $100 for the night.

If you want an adventure check out the Gould Library and Hall of Fame then try some West African food or find a great Dominican restaurant down by Yankee Stadium. The Gould Library and new library as well as Hall of Fame are in Bronx Community College. Here is a pic of Hall of Fame - Hall of Fame for Great Americans, Bronx Community College, University Avenue at West 181st Street, University Heights, The Bronx

Less of an adventure but still fun is check out the new park at the south end of Roosevelt Island and walk along the water to see LIC and eat midtown Manhattan and how large the Queensboro Bridge is, then hop on the F train to Jackson Height for either Indian or Ecuadorian food. If you want to go back to the city take the F to 2nd Ave and check out rare films at the Anthology Film Archives. Walk up 2nd Ave and stop off at any of the many outdoor cafes and beers running all the way to Union Square/14th Street. If you still have time stop in at Beauty Bar on 14th for a drink in one of the salons chairs with large hair dryer piece over head.

I second many of the options given for Brooklyn. MoMA and the Met can be madhouses - but go early in the day (before noon) and it is much more pleasant. Investigate smaller museums - The Museum of the City of New York is gorgeous and has cool history about NYC. Near there are the Conservatory Gardens of Central Park and Harlem Meer. Less crowded than the southern areas of Central Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
My cousin from Italy took one of them chinese buses last year, from NYC to Niagara Falls, Toronto, 1000 Islands and ended in Boston. I think she paid 70 or 80 bucks, or some other crazy price. She thought it was worth it, although she smelled like wonton soup when she got back. She said she and her friend, along with a german couple were the only non-asians on the bus. And bus driver spoke very little English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City