Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times

Advertisements

Nah, Kefir was right, I'm really a diatomaceous earth mogul. I'm typing this from on top of a 100 ft high mountain of diatomaceous earth and money (right now it's about 70% diatoms and 30% money but I'm hoping to change that). I'm sorry for deceiving you all, but I'm happy to start taking your orders for 10 lbs bags of Bremsstrahlung's Dynamite Diatomaceous Earth. Free shipping available for orders over 20 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Do you offer discounts on bulk purchases? I could make a killing reselling the stuff on roosvelt ave.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM

245 posts, read 341,913 times
Is it possible you can sleep throughout a bed bug bite or will you always wake up when you get bitten no matter how tired you are?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Legend View Post
Is it possible you can sleep throughout a bed bug bite or will you always wake up when you get bitten no matter how tired you are?
Bedbugs release a mild anesthetic when they bite you, so you won't feel it. There is even a chance that you won't develop an itchy red spot afterwards. Some people react very strongly, but some don't react at all.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I doubt you're 'meant' to report them at the very first sighting. I could understand you calling 311, if the L/L wasn't doing anything about it; like hiring an exterminator, but by your own admission he is doing what's expected of him. I think calling 311 in this case might be have been counterproductive. There's no need to antagonize the L/L if he's actually doing his part.
Now you have to thread carefully, since it's really up to him to let you out of the lease.
The OP should talk to landlord/tenant attorneys for counsel on this matter. If the apartment is truly unlivable, then you cannot force someone to stay there and pay rent.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

That being said, I agree with likeminas, OP. I get that you're in a hard situation, but you might be jumping the gun by doing things that might antagonize the landlord when it seems that he's been trying to rectify the situation. Unless you go the heat route, insecticides take some time to fully get rid of the bed bugs, and it's only been three weeks. Talk it out with the landlord, and see if he will agree to let you out of the lease. It's a lot easier for a landlord to get rid of bed bugs with empty apartment then with a tenant. Good luck, OP.
The landlord has been unsuccessful in his attempts to try to rectify the situation. The bottom line is that they are still getting bitten. Who knows, the bedbugs could be crawling back from other apartments in the building. The high density of people in buildings in the city unfortunately makes pest control much more difficult than it is in places that are either single family homes or small apartment buildings.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 PM

245 posts, read 341,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Bedbugs release a mild anesthetic when they bite you, so you won't feel it. There is even a chance that you won't develop an itchy red spot afterwards. Some people react very strongly, but some don't react at all.
I ask because I got bitten a handful of times before and I would always wake up when I got a bite. My super sprayed my place for the third phase on Tuesday and ever since then, I haven't been woken up by a bite. That's why I asked that question. I hope it's gone for good.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Legend View Post
I ask because I got bitten a handful of times before and I would always wake up when I got a bite. My super sprayed my place for the third phase on Tuesday and ever since then, I haven't been woken up by a bite. That's why I asked that question. I hope it's gone for good.
Did you ever see the bedbug on you? If not, then you were waking up after the bite occurred. I'm guessing you'd get bitten, the bug would leave, and you'd wake up once your body reacted to the bite, which takes time. But I'm just speculating.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
If it were winter and the radiators were on I think I could do this, but since it's summer, I don't think it's feasible in my apartment. My kitchen is a bit isolated from the rest of the apartment and I don't have any space heaters. But maybe... I am on the top floor. On an average summer day, it gets up to 85 or a little higher without the AC running.

If I were paying for my own exterminators, I'd probably go for the heat treatment, but management is paying for them and I think they are going to come to spray three times total, once a week for three consecutive weeks.

This is why I am using a lot of different methods to get rid of them. High heat washing and drying for everything that can go in laundry machines, dry cleaning for clothes that can't, DE for cracks and around furniture legs, and homemade CO2 traps.

Despite our prior debate about DE, I agree that heat and steam are best. Does anyone know how much that costs, and how much it costs to spray? Just wondering why my management doesn't hire someone to do the heat treatment.

Just laying groundwork I inquired at HOME DEPOT tool rental dept whether they rented the commercial propane heater (like for contractors putting up homes in December.)
They don't, I imagine there is a liability issue. Perhaps their suburban locations might...the Manhattan stores are not really set up fro heavy contracting work. Something llike 50,000 BTU/hr should do the trick easily.
Maybe this:
Tank Top Propane Heater - 30,000 BTU

But who wants to OWN any of this stuff?

Quote:

On an average summer day, it gets up to 85 or a little higher without the AC
running.
And of course, we are right around the bend from a few days that will approach 100...we're going over 90 already today and tomorrow.

Geez,
Seems there are several electric choices out there but most look like they would require there own generators:
http://www.heater-store.com/bed_bug_...rs_178_ctg.htm

And look at this simple 200,000 BTU wowser:
http://www.heater-store.com/heavy_du..._4740_prd1.htm

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-05-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM

How do they use propane heaters without risking carbon monoxide poisoning? Just vent the exhaust out a window using a hose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City