Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 18,892 times

Advertisements

I am sure something along these lines has been asked before. If so, I appologize for the repitition. It looks like my family of 4 will be relocating to New York, and since I need access to JFK, I thought Queens would be a good choice. How hard would life be in Queens on 70K a year? Thanks to any and all who can offer their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

62 posts, read 205,565 times
You will need to be a lot more specific....
buying,renting (I think buying is completely out of the question), access to schools , the city, public transportation?
Without being racial , there are areas in Southeast Queens that are nice and quiet and reasonably priced but they are predominantly minority filled (I'm speaking of Rosedale, Cambria Heights, and the surrounding areas). They are also only about 10-20 minutes from JFK. Also, you may look into Long Island, the areas of Valley Stream or Lynbrook are nice and quiet and close to JFK. Perhaps even the Rockaways would work , but again , they are minority filled areas

Good luck but I think that you can manage to live on $70K , but only by making good choices and living frugally

SGC

Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 18,892 times
Well, renting is the only option. I am white and my wife is asian Indian. Minorities don't bother us, unless it is dangerous or there is discrimination against us. It doesn't need to be right near JFK, just commutable, but I thought there might be some ok areas around there. What does anyone think? Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

191 posts, read 900,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wright View Post
I am sure something along these lines has been asked before. If so, I appologize for the repitition. It looks like my family of 4 will be relocating to New York, and since I need access to JFK, I thought Queens would be a good choice. How hard would life be in Queens on 70K a year? Thanks to any and all who can offer their opinions.
its completley doable, depending on your standard of living. you dont have to eat ramen noodles every night on 70k, its a decent salary if you're renting, married and have 2 kids. you cant live like a king (unless you have great credit ) but you dont have to live like a pauper either.
i make 95k, but my ex-wife gets 30% of that and i have a wife and 2 kids currently. i live and rent in brooklyn, work in manhattan and survive just fine. i dont live very frugally, but my pay-check to paycheck existence is the ramification of that.
The point is, that it can be done without huge compromises. Much of your quality of life issues will come up with what you are used to compared to what you will have to deal with when you get here.
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wright View Post
As a family of 3 with a similar income, it's going to be very, very, very tough unless you live in an apartment that is too small for your family AND ALSO in a less desireable neighborhood.

You simply will not have money for extras (like replacing worn out shoes, or getting your suit dry-cleaned.)

Of course if you are extremely thrifty, you might be able to squeeze out a few dollars. We are only moderately thrifty and that is our experience.

You will have to make a lot of trade-offs. From my perspective, I've been making a lot of trade-offs for a long time. I have reached the threshold that it is too much, which is why I will be relocating away from the NY Metro area.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc from LI View Post
You will need to be a lot more specific....
buying,renting (I think buying is completely out of the question), access to schools , the city, public transportation?
Without being racial , there are areas in Southeast Queens that are nice and quiet and reasonably priced but they are predominantly minority filled (I'm speaking of Rosedale, Cambria Heights, and the surrounding areas). They are also only about 10-20 minutes from JFK. Also, you may look into Long Island, the areas of Valley Stream or Lynbrook are nice and quiet and close to JFK. Perhaps even the Rockaways would work , but again , they are minority filled areas

Good luck but I think that you can manage to live on $70K , but only by making good choices and living frugally

SGC
Well Lynbrook and VS are pretty nice- not all minority- they are nice areas just always gotta be careful & check out any property carefully before you agree to anything. If you are interested in buying, which I personally think is the best thing you can do with your money instead of throw it away on rent, I have seen condos in Lynbrook & VS are for $89k or so.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

62 posts, read 205,565 times
$89K ???? I cannot believe there is anything in the VS/Lynbrook area (or any even reasonably decent area) for less than $250K considering they are looking for a minimum 2 BR unit (probably more likely 3 BR if they are buying and have 2 children.) I would be very interesting in know what type of unit is under $100K anywhere in the 5 boroughs or LI

SGC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City