Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I'm almost 100% certain that the building does not allow any modifications to the apartment. The way it was delivered to you is the way they expect to get it back if you ever move.

In my building, I install WHITE window blinds as a courtesy to the tenants. I do this on purpose as my goal is to have a clean uniformed building look from the outside. Aesthetics and curb appeal are very important to me. My tenants are NOT allowed to install window blinds in a different color other than white. The tenants can put whatever color curtains they want as that does not affect the exterior aesthetics of the building.

Maybe the 80/20 building has a similar rule and they don't want people coming in, breaking rules and modifying the apartment. Besides, from my experience, low income people tend to be the OUTCAST of the tenant stock as they tend to mess up the vibe and aesthetics of the building. They'll use bed sheets as window shades which looks low class and is a tell-tell sign of a low income person living there. They'll also put holes in the walls and install throughout the apartment clothing lines to dry their laundry. Low income people also tend to use their fire escape as a balcony and/or a place to store a bike or air conditioner that is not being used. So I can understand where the building staff is coming from.

With low income people, you have to keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't break the rules as they have a different way of living. Low income people in a 80/20 building need to understand that they need to CONFORM their behavior to what the predominate culture and lifestyle is in their building.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that blast music from his apartment, that has loud and rowdy conversations.

Don't be "THAT GUY" the smokes weed and now the whole building lobby and hallway smells like weed.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that pisses in the hallways.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that throws his cigarette butts on the floor.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that puts the puerto rican or dominican flag on his fire escape, apartment door, or apartment window for all to see.

If you don't want to be "discriminated" against, then CONFORM your behavior and don't act "low income" and you will BLEND in fine with the other market renters. If you refuse to CONFORM your lifestyle, you will have problems in the building, get dirty looks from staff members and other tenants from the building for being "THAT GUY".

While I do agree with almost all of your posts, the blinds part I don't.

I would not want someone picking out my window dressings. White is not always the answer, as it does not always match ones decor.

If White blinds were installed on my windows, they would be removed on day one.
Reason being, they will not match my decor, I don't like white blinds. I like shades better.

I do understand why you do this, for the uniformity of the windows, because lets face it, a lot of tenants keep their windows in absolutely terrible looking condition, and you are correct low income people have not a clue on window dressings.

ie: broken blinds, ripped shades and lets not forget the famous curtains tied in a knot.
and the people that put the tape on the windows for the hurricanes and it is still there months later.

It just wouldn't be fair to say a tenant like me, that does clean the windows and keep the shades nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is for this reason that the mixed-income buildings are also VERY mixed in terms of success.
The behavior, few eyes on anybody, and the more socialized people suffer a decline in quality-of-life.

I agree, actually I think the 80-20 program sucks. There are plenty of places I would rather live but I cannot afford it and there is no supplememntal income for me, as I am typical middle class. Not rich enough to afford it, and yet not poor anough to be able to be enrolled in it.

I don't think there should be any 80-20 crap. Tough, you can't afford it, then you live where you can, like I do. In a way it is really like the owner saying I know the building is NOT affordable to the average person so I will let a few poor people live in it.

and just food for though If I was buying a million dollar apt no, I would want some low class poor person with 16 kids in the apartment next to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
If I were in the 20 part of an 80/20 rental and anyone handed me crap about income or what I "deserve" I would report him to the management company with a copy letter to HPD.

He would likely lose his job.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM

345 posts, read 853,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I'm almost 100% certain that the building does not allow any modifications to the apartment. The way it was delivered to you is the way they expect to get it back if you ever move.

In my building, I install WHITE window blinds as a courtesy to the tenants. I do this on purpose as my goal is to have a clean uniformed building look from the outside. Aesthetics and curb appeal are very important to me. My tenants are NOT allowed to install window blinds in a different color other than white. The tenants can put whatever color curtains they want as that does not affect the exterior aesthetics of the building.

Maybe the 80/20 building has a similar rule and they don't want people coming in, breaking rules and modifying the apartment. Besides, from my experience, low income people tend to be the OUTCAST of the tenant stock as they tend to mess up the vibe and aesthetics of the building. They'll use bed sheets as window shades which looks low class and is a tell-tell sign of a low income person living there. They'll also put holes in the walls and install throughout the apartment clothing lines to dry their laundry. Low income people also tend to use their fire escape as a balcony and/or a place to store a bike or air conditioner that is not being used. So I can understand where the building staff is coming from.

With low income people, you have to keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't break the rules as they have a different way of living. Low income people in a 80/20 building need to understand that they need to CONFORM their behavior to what the predominate culture and lifestyle is in their building.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that blast music from his apartment, that has loud and rowdy conversations.

Don't be "THAT GUY" the smokes weed and now the whole building lobby and hallway smells like weed.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that pisses in the hallways.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that throws his cigarette butts on the floor.

Don't be "THAT GUY" that puts the puerto rican or dominican flag on his fire escape, apartment door, or apartment window for all to see.

If you don't want to be "discriminated" against, then CONFORM your behavior and don't act "low income" and you will BLEND in fine with the other market renters. If you refuse to CONFORM your lifestyle, you will have problems in the building, get dirty looks from staff members and other tenants from the building for being "THAT GUY".
Wouldn't this apply to all tenents, regardless of income

Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If I were in the 20 part of an 80/20 rental and anyone handed me crap about income or what I "deserve" I would report him to the management company with a copy letter to HPD.

He would likely lose his job.
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Kefir King again.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't think there should be any 80-20 crap. Tough, you can't afford it, then you live where you can, like I do. In a way it is really like the owner saying I know the building is NOT affordable to the average person so I will let a few poor people live in it.
Totally agree. Why should people who don't work as hard as I do to earn my apartment get to live in the same place for less money, and in turn drive up the cost of my rent?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Totally agree. Why should people who don't work as hard as I do to earn my apartment get to live in the same place for less money, and in turn drive up the cost of my rent?
This just sounds like a whole bunch of whining for no significant reason.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
This just sounds like a whole bunch of whining for no significant reason.
I suppose, ultimately nothing said on these forums is that significant then

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
I always thought the 80/20 was one of the factors that helps drive up market rates. If someone is renting a studio at market rate for say 3K and the same studio next door is being rented to a low income tenant for 800, someone's making up the difference, correct?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:

Er......because the developers, whose place you chose to live in, made an extremely beneficial deal with the city which conditions include set-asides for lower-income residents. Don't like it? Don't have to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: