Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 22,798 times

Advertisements

Ok, well it's good to get more advice. I would want to go to people's homes, interview parents, and hang out with kids outside school including filming on the street (I did with the first school, a private alternative school), so if that would be too risky I have other options. I'd always go with someone (for sound purposes), I don't know if that would make a difference. And I'd be focusing on at most three kids, so maybe I could choose safer homes.
We're still going to visit the three schools (Ps 220, Ps 30, and the high school), but here are other possibilities that may be along similar lines but perhaps are in less dangerous neighborhoods. If you know anything about these areas or schools, especially those in the Bronx, please let me know. (The grades next to the names are Bloomberg's, which came out a few days ago):

C.S. 4 Crotona Park West Community School Grade: C
1701 Fulton Avenue BRONX

P.S. 101 Andrew Draper School Grade: F
141 East 111 St. NEW YORK (East Harlem)

P.S. 31 William Lloyd Garrison School Grade: C
250 East 156 Street BRONX

P.S. 29 Melrose School Grade: D
758 Courtlandt Ave. BRONX

P.S./M.S. 279 Captain Manuel Rivera Jr. School Grade: A
2100 Walton Avenue BRONX

P.S. 7 Samuel Stern School Grade: F
160 East 120 Street NEW YORK

In response to what other schools we're filming in...we are trying to make smart decisions, because we're trying to represent a range of Ny schools. We'd like to get one private progressive, one public progressive, one private conventional, and one public conventional. The other idea is to find some dropouts, who may make an interesting comparison to the private progressive kids, who are allowed to do whatever they want (not go to classes) under very different circumstances.

Last edited by Arose226; 11-09-2007 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Are you also including Catholic schools? They are an important resources for the community as well..and should be included to be thorough.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Yes, I hadn't thought about Catholic schools. There are sooo many options, even when focusing only on New York. It may have been better to focus on one neighborhood, but the first school is actually in North Jersey. The tricky thing has been and will be making the right choices knowing there will objections that we didn't cover this, this, and this. We're keeping it to four in order to really fill out each story (and because we'd like to film only this school year).

Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
I think a good respresentation might be: 2 "Regular" Public Schools, a Catholic School, one of the new "Progressive"/Charter Schools, and 2 of the Specialized Schools.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Arose, be aware that the people who responded so far are the most optimistic bunch you'll ever meet.
I wish you the best of luck!
I teach in the area so I'm there everyday, all day. I deal with the parents and families in the area everyday as well. So don't tell me I don't know much about it all.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I teach in the area so I'm there everyday, all day. I deal with the parents and families in the area everyday as well. So don't tell me I don't know much about it all.
You make it seem rosy. According to you Mott Haven is not the ghetto, and she should take no precaution at all.

FALSE.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You make it seem rosy. According to you Mott Haven is not the ghetto, and she should take no precaution at all.

FALSE.
What are you like 10 yeas old? Mott Haven is not Rosy but is also not hell either. Everyone here have already told her to take precautions.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
What are you like 10 yeas old? Mott Haven is not Rosy but is also not hell either. Everyone here have already told her to take precautions.
Rachael didn't.

"You'll be fine. I'm a skinny, blonde haired blue eyed 23 year old female and I teach in the south Bronx. I take the same subway you would take to that area, just further up. I haven't had any problems."

And were you born yesterday? It's white yuppies like you who dont live the everyday life in the ghetto that are the first to promote it. You have no opinion, because you haven't lived through it.

END OF STORY.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 PM

For what it's worth, this guy has spent years hanging out in Mott Haven:

Jonathan Kozol, who wrote such books as Death At An Early Age, Savage Inequalities and Ordinary Resurrections (the last one entirely about Mott Haven). Then again, I'm not quite as rumpled. But maybe I'll look him up and see how he's frequented the area unharmed for so long.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Please remember..
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City