Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 AM

48 posts, read 145,503 times

Advertisements

The Employee is getting paid for that, being patient and nice during those situations, that's their job. But most people who live here weren't properly raised by their parents. A few are ok, but most are just disrespectful and should not even be allowed to work.

I work in a Customer Service Field and I am really surprised how horrible my coworkers are, instead of helping them out they give them a retarded comment, way to go.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM

289 posts, read 399,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.
Only in Ny, dose someone move here for the Ny "attitude" then complain about it

Last edited by urbanlook; 07-07-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Learn this expression and live it and you won't have any more problems with customer service anywhere-

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
This means that it is easier to persuade people if you use polite arguments and flattery than if you are confrontational.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM

104 posts, read 175,167 times
Is customer service bad in NYC? I didn't find that. I had a nice and long discussion with a cashier at Eataly. And I went to something like 12 different coffee shops and pretty much all the barristas were nice (except the ones at Dean & Deluca), which is basically unheard of. If I thought anyone were jerks, it's probably those ticket checkers at the Lincoln Center.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The "catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar" is a dumb saying...who the heck wants to catch flies? How about you catch more ladies with honey?

As for bad customer service in NYC...there are 3 reasons: The first is the workforce hired to do these jobs. Who do you think they will get to work for $9 per hour in NYC? The second is pure volume...you don't have to be nice just fast..if you don't like it...that's ok..there are 10 people behind you so step aside and move on. And the last reason is the customers themselves usually suck...so getting fed a constant stream of rude/ghetto/ignorant customers wears on you.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Is customer service bad in NYC? I didn't find that. I had a nice and long discussion with a cashier at Eataly. And I went to something like 12 different coffee shops and pretty much all the barristas were nice (except the ones at Dean & Deluca), which is basically unheard of. If I thought anyone were jerks, it's probably those ticket checkers at the Lincoln Center.
The more upscale places have better behaved and more helpful employees. For example, so far I have never had a rude cashier at Whole Foods. I am not sure if it's because they pay better or if they provide better training and treat their employees better than other low-scale places (like fast food places). I do know Whole Foods only pays some of their cashiers $10 per hour, but I think they also provide decent benefits. This might enable them to attract a better class of employees than the places that are paying $8 per hour with no benefits and poor working environment.

And yes, customer service is pretty bad in NYC overall compared to other places. That is, unless you are only going to high-end, expensive places in Manhattan, in which case you probably will think everyone is treating you really well.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Sometimes customers can be rude too forcing service providers to return the favor of rudeness even though its unprofessional.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Some of the best customer service is from those who are not native to New York City.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 AM

60 posts, read 96,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.
It does not surprise me. Some people resent having to work for a living. Thats what it boils down to.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 AM

60 posts, read 96,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Only in Ny, dose someone move here for the Ny "attitude" then complain about it
Im a Native New Yorker. NY attitude and rude are two different things. I believe rude workers are rude in their everyday lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City