Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,643 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I got an apt at Carver Washington NYCHA - low 100s around 3rd ave.

I'm not Black or Hispanic - am I going to have problems there?
I know the White/rich part of town is pretty close by so does that matter - as in does it help the situation and
racial integration of the area?
Do I need to worry a lot about gangs, guns, rapes, etc.?

My parents are old - we are looking for peace. I know projects are projects.

How are the apartments? Is it "safe". Everyone tells me these are better than most!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
U gon' Die!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi90 View Post
Hey,

I got an apt at Carver Washington NYCHA - low 100s around 3rd ave.

I'm not Black or Hispanic - am I going to have problems there?
I know the White/rich part of town is pretty close by so does that matter - as in does it help the situation and
racial integration of the area?
Do I need to worry a lot about gangs, guns, rapes, etc.?

My parents are old - we are looking for peace. I know projects are projects.

How are the apartments? Is it "safe". Everyone tells me these are better than most!

Thanks
All projects are the same IMO.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,332 times
You will be alright! My family and I will be moving in there soon as well. I live in the Bronx now and have lived in projects in central Harlem. There's a big difference due to the fact that it's right by mount Sinai hospital and that it's very diverse. Just make sure you always keep to yourself and never hang in the hood, your bound to see, hear and mixed up in something if you do, like in any neighborhood uptown projects or not. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Hmm projects are never gonna be the best place if you're looking for peace. The area is cool and for the most part it is safe, heavy police presence (if that can reassure you). I hung out in and around both Carver and Washington last summer, and they were actually better than most projects I have seen in the city. I lived on 102 and Park for a couple of weeks, right across Carver, they were tame. Washington seemed a little bit more live, more dudes outside, police often posted up (but that might be due to the fact 3rd ave is a commercial strip, plus you have the 23rd precinct right across the street), still it wasn't no big deal, I think these two projects aren't that bad by NYCHA standards, those along 1st ave are worse if you ask me. Anyway, everybody has their own perception when it comes to safety so maybe you should take a walk around the area and witness things by yourself, see if you feel safe and if you'd be ready to live there.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 51,714 times
Carver and Wash aren't the worst pjs in the city but they suck either way. Try move into the pjs on the uws, les or Chelsea

Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
they both have very small apartment layouts. don't like em at all. try Lexington houses. those aren't that bad.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 AM

106 posts, read 129,252 times
It's too late to go to another complex as the OP said they already got a place in Carver. True, they are not as bad as the projects along the East River, but they ain't grand. How close the "white" part of town is doesn't really matter as projects are small cities unto themselves. Whites from the spillover of 96 street make too much money to live there and won't go walking through the grounds after dark.

Just use common sense. Take the elevator with someone, try to stay out of the stairs( especially if the residents have removed the light bulbs) and don't walk that neighborhood late at night, and you'll be fine

Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 AM

106 posts, read 129,252 times
Also, there are occasional shootings, and the "gangs" for the most part are "crews" that mostly have beef with crews from neighboring projects. Stay out of that drama and you and family will be ok. Police precinct is right on the corner of 102 and 3rd...

Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I walk by often and occasionally cut through the grounds to get from Third to Second and have never been at all worried but have never been inside any of the buildings. I too am lily-white.
Also all my walking is mid-day.

I would also say they might be "better than most."

Nicer on Third than Second because of all the subway work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: