Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have in laws who are so incredibly cheap but they won't admit it. They don't use the air conditioner in Summer even though it is central air conditioning. They say, they LIKE it warm. But in Winter they sit around with the heat off and two sweaters each. They say the LIKE it cold. I will only visit them in Spring or Fall.

What they SHOULD say is that they would rather boil and freeze than part with money.

Remember the SEINFELD episode where Jerry and Elaine visit his parents in Boca and they don't even know how to turn the AC ON. I put up with a sweltering overnight just like Elaine did. Never Again.
Like Elaine screamed: "Turn it ON!!!!"

Some of these people will have to be buried standing up so the nickels don't fall out of their pockets.
LOL So true. I actually find the hum of the AC soothing. Even in the winter I have to have some kind of white noise to help me sleep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM

257 posts, read 684,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Oh thank you so very very much for saving the world by sweating.

May I also suggest you give up your refrigerator too. Really no need for that either. TV also...do you know how many people you are killing watching CNN so much.

Please...do it for the environment...please.

for the children..please

and remember....only brown rice, not white.
Do you really think that you're accomplishing something with ad hominem attacks? Someone asked whether someone here doesn't have AC and I answered, while sharing some of the ways in which I deal with the heat. A tiny bit of worldview expansion hasn't hurt anyone, you should try it.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Is that what sweating your n#$% off is called now? worldview expansion.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
The woman under me has no air conditioner so what she is contributing to ME is a hot floor that makes my AC work harder to counterbalance her oven of an apartment.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
LOL So true. I actually find the hum of the AC soothing. Even in the winter I have to have some kind of white noise to help me sleep...
I don't like A/C much. It makes the inside feel too sterile, like an office. Of course, if I had it, I'd be using it right now.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Processed Air without humidity is certainly of lesser breathing quality.

The sheer impact millions of A/C's have on the environment in New York City must be staggering.
As opposed to thousands of people falling Ill or dying? Or certain businesses grinding to halt which would hinder the income of its employees?

The environmenT was pristine 2000 years ago, what of it?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times
Only ac in the bedroom for now.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Processed Air without humidity is certainly of lesser breathing quality.

There is NO WAY that any A/C system can remove enough moisture to get even to 40% humidity in our tropically humid climate. Mine has been running 24 hours a day all week and I have 60% humidity right at this very moment.
Our problems as New Yorkers are far too high humidity for comfort.
BTW, at this moment the humidty in Central Park is 67% and this is a "dry" day.

As an aside: getting an oversized air conditioner will actually RAISE the room humidity higher than that outside. It's a Goldilocks thing: too little cooling capacity = too warm, too MUCH capacity = too damp. You gotta be JUST RIGHT.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-19-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
As opposed to thousands of people falling Ill or dying? Or certain businesses grinding to halt which would hinder the income of its employees?

The environmenT was pristine 2000 years ago, what of it?
We have an 88 year old employee who has been working for my company since the early 50s. He told me back then the office had no A/C. The rule, for most of NY businesses, was to send employees home when the temp hit 90. So what did you do...get into a hot subway, go home to an no A/C and continue to sweat..but, at least, it was in the comfort of your hot home in lighter clothes.

If sweating for the environment is your cause, go right ahead. Just make sure you bathe before you decide to get into the subway.

For those that think AC is so bad, just think of how many lives are saved by it. The elderly and very young are particularly in danger by excessive heat. Today is a far cry from the days when hospitals were crowded with patients with heat related problems.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Not looking forward getting to Laguardia at 11 am, and riding my bike back to my place in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City