Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,274 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
i have a very strange question. I am 25 yearls old guy. I live in Italy. From a very long time i've known that i will move from here i just feel that it is not my place. it is not the place i want to live, work and have a family. But i have always thought that i will find my place somewhere in Europe. Well now i dont think that anymore. I was in New York a month ago i and fell in love. And now here comes my crazy question - can i move there is it possible for me ? can new york be my place? I want to study there and also find work. I have master degree in finance, this is my passion and i would like to study for PhD can this happen in new york? Also while i study i would like to work too, so i can help myself with the money. I have a little money that i saved - 25 000$ will that be enough to start in new york? dont get me wrong i dont want to live like a star or eat in fancy bars, i am not Serena from gossip girl. except for rent eat and transport i will spend money only for the gym - i cant live without fitness. i also speak spanish french and english. i have certificates for that. i have plenty of awards and certificates from my university and etc..
Can i find some job there that will help me ?
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
One strategy, though it may take several years, is to secure a position in your home country with an international bank with a huge presence in NY, i.e. Citi, Bank of America, Deutsche Bank, etc. After two years, look for internal opportunities with your company that will be open in New York.

It may be much more difficult to find a company to sponsor you right off the bat. While I'm not an expert, it may be easier to come here as a student and then seek local employment through an internship, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conner View Post
Hello there,
i have a very strange question. I am 25 yearls old guy. I live in Italy. From a very long time i've known that i will move from here i just feel that it is not my place. it is not the place i want to live, work and have a family. But i have always thought that i will find my place somewhere in Europe. Well now i dont think that anymore. I was in New York a month ago i and fell in love. And now here comes my crazy question - can i move there is it possible for me ? can new york be my place? I want to study there and also find work. I have master degree in finance, this is my passion and i would like to study for PhD can this happen in new york? Also while i study i would like to work too, so i can help myself with the money. I have a little money that i saved - 25 000$ will that be enough to start in new york? dont get me wrong i dont want to live like a star or eat in fancy bars, i am not Serena from gossip girl. except for rent eat and transport i will spend money only for the gym - i cant live without fitness. i also speak spanish french and english. i have certificates for that. i have plenty of awards and certificates from my university and etc..
Can i find some job there that will help me ?
Thanks a lot.
Apply to graduate programs.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM

466 posts, read 902,068 times
Yep, I think those are your best options. Get experience in your country and seek a transfer to an office for the same company in NY, or try to attend a PhD program in NY.

By the way, $25,000 is plenty to start a life in NY, but since you are a foreigner, you will have to deal with the added difficulty of immigrating and obtaining legal employment. That's going to be your biggest hurdle, but you are in good shape to make it happen.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is a good idea. It could solve your visa and housing issues. Also, if you earn a graduate degree you’re eligible for several years of “practical experience” on a temporary work visa.

American universities are extremely expensive compared to their European counterparts, but PhD programs often come with full scholarships and even small stipends.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This is a good idea. It could solve your visa and housing issues. Also, if you earn a graduate degree you’re eligible for several years of “practical experience” on a temporary work visa.

American universities are extremely expensive compared to their European counterparts, but PhD programs often come with full scholarships and even small stipends.
Exactly.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Coming here on a student's visa is probably your only good option. Otherwise, getting a work permit/visa is very difficult.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conner View Post
i also speak spanish french and english.
That's a BIG plus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City