Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Both Williamsburg and Park Slope "prime" would be nice places for you to live. However, on your budget I am afraid you will not be shown apartments in the nicer areas of these neigbhorhoods. Brokers are famous for blurring the boundaries of neighborhoods. They might tell you the apartment is in Williamsburg, but when you actually look more closely it turns out it's in Bed-Stuy. Or maybe it really is in Williamsburg but the closest trains are the JMZ - certainly not the best in the line. In Williamsburg you would be best off to be near the first three stops on the L - Bedford, Lorimer, Graham.

Same thing in Park Slope. I don't think $1400 is going to get you in prime Park Slope. I do know people in the South Slope and others closer to Greenwood Heights and they like those areas just fine - but just know what you are getting.

One of the reasons I suggested Bay Ridge is the rents are lower and you will be in a nice area by the subway for $1400. I am just not sure if this is the case in pricier areas like Williamsburg and Park Slope - but there's no harm in trying.

Other nice Brooklyn neighborhoods that would fit your budget are Ditmas Park and Kensington.

You can post exact locations of apts on here and we can try to help you.
When you say you have been "looking" does this mean you are looking online or you have actually seen some places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,131 times
Look in Hoboken-- there's a direct train into the WTC and its only about a 15 minute train. It's super young, lots of restuarants, young -- good for singles.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 14,707 times
I have been talking with brokers and apartment owners (found via Craigslist) but have not actually come to look yet. I will absolutely take you up on your offer and run a few places by you. Thanks so much for the information - it REALLY helps!!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 14,707 times
What do you think of this area discription: Kensington Section of Brooklyn located near Ocean Parkway and 18 Avenue?

The owner says its about 30 min or less to the financial district.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoNYC View Post
Hey everyone - I'm moving from Boston to a new job located in the World Financial Center. I really could use some help and advice regarding WHERE TO LIVE! My budget for rent is going to be absolute max $1400 and I want to live alone (I do realize this is a very tight budget!). I have been looking in areas of Brooklyn, and was wondering if anyone has advice of the good vs. "bad" places to live. I'm a female in my mid-20's so living in a safe neighborhood is my #1 concern. Thanks in advance!!
Most of brooklyn is crappy...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtristate View Post
Look in Hoboken-- there's a direct train into the WTC and its only about a 15 minute train. It's super young, lots of restuarants, young -- good for singles.
Don't forget to mention the atrocious parking!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Most of brooklyn is crappy...

Hi Jdawg, I hope you will consider that most of Queens is crappy too (actually all of it!! every square inch!) and the parking is even worse than in Brooklyn!!! I noticed that you were corresponding with someone else on the board about possibly considering buying her coop in Queens, and I just wanted to remind you that if you think Brooklyn is bad, you aint seen nothin yet - Queens is a really really horrible place to live.

I can't tell you how much I hate being so close to Manhattan, being in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the world with access to ethnic food, tons of shopping, lots of like-minded people, a plethora of transit options, and architecturally important buildings. It's really rough.

--- signed, Henna, Queens resident and homeowner.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoNYC View Post
What do you think of this area discription: Kensington Section of Brooklyn located near Ocean Parkway and 18 Avenue?

The owner says its about 30 min or less to the financial district.

Thanks

It might be ok. It's definitely safe, but a bit dull. I believe this is part of Kensington. Ocean Parkway is a very large boulevard with lots of trees and benches. Lots of old people. You would be about one long block from the F train. I checked the mta trip planner and one of the transit options shows a 30 minute trip at rush hour. Of course you need to build in time for waiting for the train, etc. But it sounds fairly accurate.

You wouldn't be too far from Prospect Park and Park Slope (on the F train) and that could be nice.

In general - not a bad choice. Depends on what you want out of a neigbhorhood. It fulfills safe and probably affordable with a not horrible commute. And it's definitely closer to Manhattan than Bay Ridge which I had recommended to you.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I live in what many consider "the hood" and don't mind it at all, however, as someone young and new to the city (sorry, Boston just isn't the same), it may be best for you to room with someone in an expensive neighborhood until you get your feet underneath you. I know having a roommate sucks, but it would be better for you share in Chelsea or Murray Hill and then move out to cheaper neighborhood in Brooklyn, than to start someplace a bit edgy and get scared away from the city all together.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I live in what many consider "the hood" and don't mind it at all, however, as someone young and new to the city (sorry, Boston just isn't the same), it may be best for you to room with someone in an expensive neighborhood until you get your feet underneath you. I know having a roommate sucks, but it would be better for you share in Chelsea or Murray Hill and then move out to cheaper neighborhood in Brooklyn, than to start someplace a bit edgy and get scared away from the city all together.
Sorry if I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that her only two choices are #1 living in an expensive area with a roommate, or #2 living in an edgy and potentially unsafe area (the 'hood')

It seems to me she doesn't want either of these options. She already said she wants to live alone, and she said she wants safe and under $1400. Well BOTH of these can be fulfilled, and she can stay within an hour's commute to work (which btw is not that bad in NY). She has plenty of options and does not have to live with a roommate or in an unsafe area.

She did not mention she wanted to live in Queens and it tends to be a bit further from WFC than upper Brooklyn and parts of Jersey, but there are plenty of people living in Forest Hills, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights and Astoria who commute to various places in Manhattan. And it's possible to find a studio for under $1400 in ALL of these neighborhoods. And while no neighborhood is 100% safe all the time, none of these places could be considered 'the hood'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City