Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyispink View Post
Oh and my neck and and surrounding areas are sore and stiff this morning my elbows are scuffed. I wasn't aware I had to be literal to expect reasonable law enforcement.

What if I was female?
It would have been the same thing. If you weren't hurt, the cops would do nothing. I suppose you could go to the ER room, get treated, and file a new police report. The police and other government agencies (the courts too) unfortunately act only within the narrow parameters of the law. I was told by a lawyer that in order for legal damages to occur, two things have to happen. The law has to be broken, and you have to have injuries or damage. Had you said you were hurt, they could have arrested the man. Had he stolen from you, they could have arrested him. But you said you were fine.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM

289 posts, read 399,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyispink View Post
At approximately 2:30am today I was walking south on Broadway when came to a stop on the northeast corner of Broadway and Canal St in Manhattan (Chinatown). While I was waiting for the pedestrian light to change, I was blindsided by an intoxicated and disturbed male individual.

I did not sense this individual approaching me or perceived any warnings, I was caught completely off guard and in what seemed like a split second, was thrown to the ground and was put in a headlock while this individual applied pressure to my neck and rambled indecipherable nonsense into my ear.

I had no idea what was going on - I was truly in shock and terrorized. I didn't know if this individual was armed, from shock and fear and having never experiencing or being a victim to something like this, there was no action on my part. In that moment, I truly did not comprehend what was happening.

The altercation lasted about 30 seconds before bystanders started to approach and I heard voices saying "do you know this guy?" I don't have any recollection of vision. I heard the voiced and responded, "no, I don't know this guy." That's when they started to remove the guy off of me.

Once I was released, I crossed Canal and now stood on the southeast corner and watched from across the street as the intoxicated individual stumbled and walked in circles on the northeast corner.

I called 911, keeping the individual in my sight and recounted my encounter to the 911 dispatcher. The police were sent. By the time police arrived, the individual was around the corner less than a block away - he wasn't getting very far in his condition.

From the onset, the police did not demonstrate any urgency. The officer asked me if I was injured, and I said I was fine. Because I was fine, the officer informed me that it was not an assault and instead just "harrassment" and they could not arrest the individual. I told the officer "if he just did that to me, what might he do to someone else.?"

A second police car arrives and the driving officer has a Nathan's hot dog on his lap. The two police cars are now side by side - they are consulting with one another. I repeat myself and say "the guy went that way around that corner: no shirt, gray jeans." The officer says "we will canvass the area." Meanwhile the officer in the other car is applying mustard to his hot dog."

I am not making this up.

I stand around for another 5 minutes and the officers haven't moved. I finally walk away in digust and disbelief.

So apparently, on the streets of NYC, it's ok to body slam strangers to the street and place them in a choke hold. One of the guys who pulled the guy off of me, a witness, was by side the entire time.

Way to protect and serve NYPD.

I doubt there is anything I can do, if there is - let me know.

What a disappointing experience.
What amazes me is after this vicious and unprovoked attack. You were calm enough to see a hot dog on the officers lap in his car.
I hope this is not something to start a anti police thread.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
What amazes me is after this vicious and unprovoked attack. You were calm enough to see a hot dog on the officers lap in his car.
does it take much calmness to see a hotdog?

my questions is that why the op seemed so defenseless in front of a drunkard who could harld balance himself? I would have taken him down if I was attacked by him first. as it occured in chinatlwn, i guess the op is physically unstrong to fight off an offender.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
I'd like to know where a cop in lower Manhattan managed to get a Nathan's hot dog at 2-3 am?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'd like to know where a cop in lower Manhattan managed to get a Nathan's hot dog at 2-3 am?
Gray's Papaya on west 4th on 6th ave. (maybe not a nathan but it is still a hot dog)

Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Gray's Papaya on west 4th on 6th ave. (maybe not a nathan but it is still a hot dog)
Was just gonna say this, lol. That's my 3am drunk hot dog spot

Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Oh there's plenty of hot dogs at that time, but not Nathan's. I just figured someone who knows the job of a police officer better than a police officer would have been at least able to easily discern hot dog brands after being so viciously "assaulted".

Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Shouldve kicked some ass and had the police called on you and explained self defense.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you and I hope you continue to let people know that this happened.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
as it occured in chinatlwn, i guess the op is physically unstrong to fight off an offender.
umm what does being in chinatown have to do with him being "unstrong"?

At least someone was there to help him at such a late night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: