Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,068 times

Advertisements

Moving to NY from the West Coast and hoping for some advice.

I've found an apartment on W107th, between Columbus and Manhattan Ave. and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area? How's the walk to-and-from the nearest subway stations? Looking at Google Maps that appears to be the B&C Cathedral Parkway station and the 110th Street 1 Station.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,878,199 times
As fine as anywhere safety-wise, some quality-of-life issues but this is changing. Rapidly.

Stretches of Manhattan below 110th were something approaching a nightmare, a few buildings were bought and the area is being brought, if slowly, under control. The projects are right there but as you walk downtown, so is an upper-middle class complex, co-ops.

There is a luxury high-rise building near the 110th stop. "Avalon Morningside" ? And another rising on the corner.
Columbus has changed tremendously in the last ten years. When you are near the Whole Foods complex, well, things are rapidly moving toward being an extension of the UWS. In spite of the FD Houses.

Check the bedbug registry for your building and environs.
Check the HPD website for problems in your building.
Find out whether social service housing is right next door - if you want.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM

345 posts, read 847,372 times
107th st used to be known as crack alley back in the 80's. It's improved a lot since then, rents are rising. In the daytime, I would not be afraid at all. If traveling at night, you should be careful. It is dark on some streets, especially near Central park. But as harlem res said, it's changing rapidly. BTW, you'll have your choice of two subway stations 103 & 110. As far as the housing projects, you should probably avoid walking there at night. THe only reason you would approach the area is if you were going to whole foods on columbus and 98th st. I would not be too concerned, just be extra careful at night.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,482 times
Manhattan valley?
Let me guess. Another realtard created term.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Manhattan valley?
Let me guess. Another realtard created term.
Nope.
Practical real estate designation, originating in geography, in place as long as I can recall.

Columbia and Hamilton Heights are built on a series of huge hills. St. Nicholas Terrace is, quite literally, a terrace above St. Nicholas Avenue.

The "valley" was always an area very different from Morningside (also on an enormous hill, another terrace above Morningside Park) and Harlem. It is certainly not the UWS although developers are now trying to sell it as such. Nor is it Morningside Heights, in spite of similar "branding" efforts there.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
107th st used to be known as crack alley back in the 80's. It's improved a lot since then, rents are rising. In the daytime, I would not be afraid at all. If traveling at night, you should be careful. It is dark on some streets, especially near Central park. But as harlem res said, it's changing rapidly. BTW, you'll have your choice of two subway stations 103 & 110. As far as the housing projects, you should probably avoid walking there at night. THe only reason you would approach the area is if you were going to whole foods on columbus and 98th st. I would not be too concerned, just be extra careful at night.
I would walk on Columbus to Whole Foods if you go at night.
I have walked near the projects but I would not necessarily recommend that anyone else do so. On the other hand, there are usually police around.
There are now a ton of restaurants and businesses on Columbus so it is always fine.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Nope.
Practical real estate designation, originating in geography, in place as long as I can recall.

Columbia and Hamilton Heights are built on a series of huge hills. St. Nicholas Terrace is, quite literally, a terrace above St. Nicholas Avenue.

The "valley" was always an area very different from Morningside (also on an enormous hill, another terrace above Morningside Park) and Harlem. It is certainly not the UWS although developers are now trying to sell it as such. Nor is it Morningside Heights, in spite of similar "branding" efforts there.
Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Nobody in NY calls that area Manhattan Valley. Only realtards do....

Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Nobody in NY calls that area Manhattan Valley. Only realtards do.
Wrong.
Most people do or - most people who are from here and have a familiarity with the area. There is often a need to be specific.

But I am sure everyone appreciates your productive contribution to the discussion.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Wrong.
Most people do or - most people who are from here and have a familiarity with the area. There is often a need to be specific.

But I am sure everyone appreciates your productive contribution to the discussion.

I never, not a single time I've heard someone say I live in Manhattan valley. ....Most NYers wouldn't know wtf that is, anyway.
You wanna be petty and disagree with me, knock yourself out.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM

One of the grandmothers just told me - Manhattan Valley was called Bloomingdale (?) after Bloomingdale Road, until the second part of the 19th century. I am guessing this road was changed or something with the aqueduct - really just guessing. Certainly it does not exist now. This changed the topographical layout, necessitating the east-west distinction that gave rise to Manhattan Valley as a designation for a now distinct area.

I now realize, thinking about community meetings, that the residents feel strongly about preserving a kind of identity for the area - thus, they call themselves "Manhattan Valley" residents, distinct from Columbia and the UWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: