Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,910,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm a "her" not a him. You made a lot of assumptions but you have no idea where I've lived over the years. I only listed L.I and Manhattan as former residences but I've lived in every borough except Staten Island at one point or another. I didn't bash the other boroughs in my post. I indicated that I couldn't afford them for what I wanted. This is no "outsider" talking. I know the Bronx very, very well. Strangely, you didn't mention Parkchester along with the other areas you consider nice? Hmm, I wonder why. At any rate, even to "insiders" the Bronx have a reputation for being ghetto because (Riverdale, Woodlawn, residential section near the water in the area of the Whitestone & Throgsneck aside) it is GHETTO.
Why would I list every "nice" area in the Bronx? I was just giving a few examples. And yes, you pretty much did bash a few boroughs, at least the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,020 times
The funny thing is I'm sure Riverdale is nicer than wherever the OP lives

Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 8,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I find it amusing that people feel the need to be rude to an entire borough.

Sometimes, ignorance is so profound so as to lump an entire borough as beneath them. OP is too poor to live in whatever she feels she deserves, and then dismisses an entire borough cuz she is just too good to live there (although certainly within the income range of said borough). Priced out the op is not, entitled....YES.

OP, please stop by before you move, so I can give you a swift Bronx kick in the a$$!
It's not polite to physically threat someone.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,910,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I find it amusing that people feel the need to be rude to an entire borough.

Sometimes, ignorance is so profound so as to lump an entire borough as beneath them. OP is too poor to live in whatever she feels she deserves, and then dismisses an entire borough cuz she is just too good to live there (although certainly within the income range of said borough). Priced out the op is not, entitled....YES.

OP, please stop by before you move, so I can give you a swift Bronx kick in the a$$!
When all else fails, threaten someone with physical abuse, yeah you won alright.

Quote:
I think that's a great choice! PA is very beautiful!! I was there last summer in Central PA in the mountains and loved it!!
I have family in Carbon county. It is a beautiful state, and doesn't feel like a LI expansion like New Jersey or Connecticut. I hope I get a house there soon.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM

80 posts, read 104,541 times
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that I've peaked in NYC and it's time to move. I work very hard and always have yet my salary remains too low for NYC. My commute from L.I during the past 4 years to my job in the city was always 3-4 hours roundtrip. Then I moved into the city for about 6 months last year but my job moved to the one of the boroughs. I didn't want the congestion and lack of grass and trees in Manhattan so looked at one-bedroom apartments in the boroughs. On my salary, my choices for affordable market value rent was reduced to basement apartments in Queens (um, NO), studio apartments in Brooklyn, NO), Staten Island (and pay a $15 dollar toll every time I come back home, NO) and even with my EZ Pass discount it's $13, NO) , or the Bronx (double NO regardless of how many bedrooms I'm offered and even if FREE rent was thrown in as a consolation prize, NO thank you!).

Since I felt Connecticut was a little too far to drive back and forth to work everyday (and I would have had to move way out in CT for the affordable market value apartments) not to mention the traffic on I-95 North corridor is reminiscent of LA freeway traffic, I settled on NJ to move to thinking it offers the closest to what appeals to me: peace and quiet, less congestion, grass, trees, and more importantly "affordable" rent. Well, even in NJ (will start another thread about this) I realize it's still not economically logical for me to continue to stay in the NYC metro area. I'm considering where to live that will not only offer a higher quality of life but appeal to me in other ways as well. I've already started applying for jobs in other parts of the country. Anyone else looking to move within the next year or so? Have you decided where yet? If so, where?
You fogot to mention shopping in the supermarkets with cats running all around.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,577,898 times
Default Yep, that describes my area to a TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NJ is a disgusting state ( except or the reas populated by commuting NYers). I sincerely mean this. The state is a dump; warehouses and strip malls with miles of nothing.
I really can't argue with you on this other than to say the further out you go (heading west), the better NJ looks.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Default I had no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by square85 View Post
If you want to live in Staten Island, you need to correct your info...there is a resident discount for traveling over the Verrazano bridge; just have to go to the EZ-Pass office on South Ave to show proof. It's $6 if you make 3 or more trips in a 30 day period which most people from Staten Island do. There is also a discount available to Staten Island residents for the NJ bridges if you travel over them 20 times in a 30 day period.
I kept hearing rumors a discount for S.I residents but no one really seemed to know. They'd all heard of it from someone who knew someone who used to live in S.I. I couldn't take that chance on moving there and then finding out the rumor was just that, a rumor. OMG, had I know the discount really existed I would have moved to S.I because that commute is cheaper than my toll fare coming into city from NJ.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Ok, threatening violence to me because we disagree on something. Hmm, why, why does this not surprise me? Because like I said earlier I'm not an outsider to da' Bronx where I've seen and see this type of mentality played all the time in public. NYPD would back me up on this observation. Usually it's a person who is so ignorant that they're proud of being this way. Then again people are a product of their environment. Sad.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
I kept hearing rumors a discount for S.I residents but no one really seemed to know. They'd all heard of it from someone who knew someone who used to live in S.I. I couldn't take that chance on moving there and then finding out the rumor was just that, a rumor. OMG, had I know the discount really existed I would have moved to S.I because that commute is cheaper than my toll fare coming into city from NJ.
It took me 2 seconds of Googling to find it.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 8,810 times
Quote:

Ok, threatening violence to me because we disagree on something. Hmm, why, why does this not surprise me? Because like I said earlier I'm not an outsider to da' Bronx where I've seen and see this type of mentality played all the time in public. NYPD would back me up on this observation. Usually it's a person who is so ignorant that they're proud of being this way. Then again people are a product of their environment. Sad.
Hopefully, the mods will take appropriate action.

As it says in the rules, "no personal attacks" and "insulting another member will not be tolerated".

Mods, will you please look into this? I have already reported the attack.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City