Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm looking for lebensraum as well as trying to manifest my destiny. Looking to go out west again in 7 weeks for about a week. Pretty much, I grew out of NYC. Lately I have been checking out Westchester County more and more and also seeing a chick from Nassau County, she wants me to look for a job out in LI, these places are not to bad.
I was thinking of joining a dating website so I can meet women from Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester etc. That way, I can easily go see them and maybe hopefully get lucky and can move to the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Apparently, you haven't traveled much past the Bronx, SobroGuy. Why compare a borough with a state? You could have at least named a town in either Iowa or Texas to compare versus the Bronx. You still would have lost your argument but I'm just saying. Iowa is a beautiful state with the sweetest, more courteous, and well-mannered people you will meet. Texas is not a naturally beautiful state but they make up for it with their friendliness and the best food (solid, stick-to-your-bones American cooking), period! There is a such thing as common courtesy and decency regarding how the people conduct themselves and carry themselves. To live in either of those two states I wouldn't be subjected to hearing people throw the F-word & N-word around like water while walking down the street, regularly seeing/hearing people fight and curse each other on the street/bus/cell phone, having to constantly maintain police presence to maintain order on a daily basis, etc. Why would you mention Tajikistan? That's a poor country with corruption, drugs, and a past civil war preventing it from moving into a higher quality of life like the more advance nations. Why would you compare it to the borough of da' Bronx ...oh, I see... you're comparing apples with apples.
LOL, hey look...if Iowa and Texas are the types of places that suit your sensibilities, that's fine. New York is definitely not everyone's bag of chips and many people realize that once they try it. Culturally it's pretty different from most of the rest of the country. If you're a typical middle-class American with middle American sensibilities, it's probably going to feel very foreign and off-putting at times. Almost like a foreign country in some ways.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Actually there was a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You gotta love how we NYers pissy fight about noth'n. OP aint looking for advise. She want to blow off steam.

Actually, I'd say many of the other posters came to blow off steam and argue over nothing. This thread was specifically geared toward "NYers looking to move out", hence the title of the thread. Since I'm one of them, I stated why NYC (metro area) no longer worked for me (which some posters said was venting. Well, ok, so be it) and then I asked my question below. Instead of allowing the people to respond whom the question was targeting, other posters immediately came in who apparently are NOT looking to move out but felt it their duty to: make presumptions about me, berate me into staying to prove I don't belong here and not in Iowa or Texas, or to dissuade me from my opinion about a borough that I choose not to move to. I think the stress of living over a period of time in a non-stop hectic, fast-paced, congested, HCOL environment definitely impacts the overall mental health of all of us here causing many people to be more aggressive, argumentative, and verbally abusive than in other cities in the country. Since you didn't answer the question either, would it be accurate for me to say that you're not looking to move out of NYC but came to make presumptions about me as well? Not to be facetious, but honestly my question was very straightforward so I'm surprised that so many people of whom it doesn't apply to have chosen to respond: Anyone else looking to move within the next year or so? Have you decided where yet? If so, where?

Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
Anyone else looking to move within the next year or so? Yes, hopefully by this time next year.
Have you decided where yet? Yes.
If so, where? Dallas

Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Actually, I'd say many of the other posters came to blow off steam and argue over nothing. This thread was specifically geared toward "NYers looking to move out", hence the title of the thread.
Some people disagreed with the premise of your move -- NY is a miserable, and overpriced ****hole. Disagreeing on your premise is fair-game and totally within the topic, and the rules here.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
There's a thread like this created every few months or so. Plenty of us are looking to get the hell out in the near future.

The only thing stopping me is I have to save up all over again since I was originally hoping to have been moved by last year.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
There's a thread like this created every few months or so. Plenty of us are looking to get the hell out in the near future.
There was even that thread started last month by someone who already moved out and felt the need to share that they wouldn't move back.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There was even that thread started last month by someone who already moved out and felt the need to share that they wouldn't move back.
Nothing wrong with that imo. More power to the op who wanted to share his opinion on moving and venting out his frustration about living in NYC. I'm also looking to move out of NYC, I out grew this city, nothing here for me anymore unless if I find an amazing job that is I will stay well not actually probably might move to Westchester or Nassau Counties or maybe across the river in Jersey. In matter of fact when I visited TX, friends, coworkers and family were going paranoid that I wont come back to NYC, even worse if I found a woman out there! Hell even my FB friends were going out of wack about me leaving NYC. To me NYC is wigiddy, wigiddy wigiddy wack!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Nothing wrong with wanting to leave NYC. In fact, I think most people eventually outgrow NYC. It takes a certain kind of person to stay here as they age. You have to have really, really good reasons and be 110% sure of them. The QOL, even if you are well-off... is not good if you choose to work AND reside here. I thought (rather naively) that I could buy my way out of petty annoyances as my income grew. The truth is it's just another day and it's never going to be as comfortable as my old home. I am making almost twice the city average now yet still have no central a/c, no dishwasher, no laundry in my building. I don't blame someone for wanting better. I stay because of the career opportunities this great city has provided me. If it wasn't for those unique opportunities, special to my field, I simply would not tolerate much of what I put up with. My family always says they love visiting me but they sure as hell would never want to live here. They enjoy some plays, spend at the restaurants, go to the park... and then go back to their very cushy and spacious pads in the middle of the country. For the price of a 1 bedroom in a good neighborhood you can get 20 acres and a winery there. That is what my uncle has and he has become a millionaire because of it. A smart businessperson could do very well on limited capital with the right idea and cheap, fertile land. I watch ex-New Yorkers make it in places like this and you just can't help but smile and be inspired by it.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-20-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City