Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I've lived on the upper west side and Hell's Kitchen and am considering moving uptown for the cheaper rent. My friend and I have seen an apartment at 207 and Post in Inwood, and I just have some questions about the area.

The apartment is super close to the 1 train, which is what I would be using the most often. I'm just wondering what the walk would be like early in the morning (like at 6 am). I've been there at night, and the walk from the train seems fine, but would 207 be deserted that early in the morning? I'm not worried about being murdered or anything, but would I constantly have to watch my back during non-daylight hours? I'm a female in my mid-20s if that makes a difference.

The apartment itself is nice enough. The rent is really cheap (less than $2000 for a 3 bedroom with a no-fee broker), so I'm wondering if this is because there is something potentially wrong with the apartment or the building? (The lobby of this building looks suspiciously unkempt and really dirty - is this a sign of other problems with the building?) Or is it just because it's several blocks east of Broadway? I know that lots of people here advise living west of Broadway and the topic has been beaten to death, but is it just because of the noise level? Is there anything else that makes east of Broadway so much less desirable? Is the housing stock worse or is it the demographic of the people who would be living in that building?

My gut feeling tells me that I shouldn't take this apartment, but I'm wondering if I'm worrying needlessly. The rent is hard to beat. Thanks for your opinions, and I hope these weren't stupid questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM

197 posts, read 530,037 times
If something is too good to be true, there's always a good reason for it. Go with your gut feeling.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Agree, go with gut. If your gut needs any help, look up the building to see if it has complaints or open violations, and also look it up on the bedbug registry. And just simply google the address to see if anything weird comes up.

DOB Building Information Search

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
An unkempt and dirty lobby sounds like a bad sign. It should be trivial for any decent super and porter to keep a lobby clean.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Can you go back and try to catch a couple of the tenants and ask their opinions?

I once had a call out of the blue from some guy who was thinking of moving into my building. He did an internet search, pulled up telephone numbers at my address, and started calling. He was a nice guy, pleasant and courteous, and I was happy to spend a couple minutes giving him my opinion.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Maybe the 207 st railyard is very loud

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Can you go back and try to catch a couple of the tenants and ask their opinions?

I once had a call out of the blue from some guy who was thinking of moving into my building. He did an internet search, pulled up telephone numbers at my address, and started calling. He was a nice guy, pleasant and courteous, and I was happy to spend a couple minutes giving him my opinion.
Yeah, when I had my apartment choices narrowed down to two, I just hung out in front of each building for a little while one afternoon and asked residents as they were coming or going what they thought of the place and if they had had any issues.

I promise it isn't as creepy as it sounds...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
It's been beaten to death because it's the truth. In that neighborhood, east of Broadway is the pits period.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,602 times
I don't see any problem since the other residents are happy with that place, you might be just too suspicious to beleive that this apartment is that cheap

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

Is there anything else that makes east of Broadway so much less desirable? Is
the housing stock worse or is it the demographic of the people who would be
living in that building?
It;s the demographics.

zingtorm, you are atop the subway, a VERY good thing.
Dirty lobby is a sign the landlord is a slumlord...not good.
Next to railyards often implies an unsavory neighborhood...but not always.

Febtober's advice is good. Walk around the block a couple times and try to solicit as many opinions as you can from neighboring buildings and from anyone coming or going into the one you contemplate.

My advice to anyone contemplating an iffy area is to walk around on a warm Saturday night and see if you feel comfortable. Stop in a restaurant or bar and have something to eat or drink.

But yeah, easy subway access is really nice, as is 3 bedrooms for 2 people. And remember, a one year lease ends in a year and you can bail if you find you've made a bad choice. Invariably the place sounds like it is rent stabilized too, that is a gift that can "keep on giving."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City