Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times

Advertisements

So we live in a Co-Op in Briarwood. We sublease so the building plans the exterminators. Usually 2 times in the month and we are on the list. Sometimes we are out so we can't get the guy in to do it, but for the last couple months he has come.

He used a gel which he says is amazing in the kitchen and the bathroom. So far the bathroom has been find, no sightings. The kitchen has been off and on. Usually after I shut the light off, turn it on and go back in there might be one on the counter.

Now it's gotten worse. To the point where I'm just fed up. When I lived in a co-op in Forest Hills, I saw one when we first moved in, then a huge one right before we moved out in a year. Here I've killed at least 30 or more. It's disgusting. We aren't unclean. I clean every night. Wipe down the counters, sweep the floor, try to vacuum every other day. But we still get them.

Last night was awful! Light on in the bedroom, look and see a cockroach on my dresser near the door. Killed that one. Then I walk in to the living room flick on the light to try and find my cell phone and the huge beast like one is crawling over my couch, not a care in the world. Took a shoe, threw it and got it on the floor and killed it.

What else can be done? Can I withhold rent or complain to the super about it? It seems the more the neighbor next to us works on his apartment, the more we get. But I have a 2 year old and that's not good for her to be exposed to it. Plus at least the roaches were in the kitchen or bathroom, now they are in my room and our living room. What happens when they get to my daughters room? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Move. This is one of the constant joys of living in the Greatest City in the World....infestation.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
So we live in a Co-Op in Briarwood. We sublease so the building plans the exterminators. Usually 2 times in the month and we are on the list. Sometimes we are out so we can't get the guy in to do it, but for the last couple months he has come.

He used a gel which he says is amazing in the kitchen and the bathroom. So far the bathroom has been find, no sightings. The kitchen has been off and on. Usually after I shut the light off, turn it on and go back in there might be one on the counter.

Now it's gotten worse. To the point where I'm just fed up. When I lived in a co-op in Forest Hills, I saw one when we first moved in, then a huge one right before we moved out in a year. Here I've killed at least 30 or more. It's disgusting. We aren't unclean. I clean every night. Wipe down the counters, sweep the floor, try to vacuum every other day. But we still get them.

Last night was awful! Light on in the bedroom, look and see a cockroach on my dresser near the door. Killed that one. Then I walk in to the living room flick on the light to try and find my cell phone and the huge beast like one is crawling over my couch, not a care in the world. Took a shoe, threw it and got it on the floor and killed it.

What else can be done? Can I withhold rent or complain to the super about it? It seems the more the neighbor next to us works on his apartment, the more we get. But I have a 2 year old and that's not good for her to be exposed to it. Plus at least the roaches were in the kitchen or bathroom, now they are in my room and our living room. What happens when they get to my daughters room? Any suggestions?
Ohh, that sucks..sorry to hear

I know you had a hard time finding an apartment last time, but I would start looking elsewhere if after they keep exterminating and there's still a problem. Keep baits in corners and try to do the best you can yourself. Try spraying around the entry door on both sides. It's not good and definitely not good with a small child. Don't keep any food out or exposed. Try to keep things in ziploc bags if you can.

Definitely complain to the super and keep track--that's important. If the problem worsens where it becomes a serious health hazzard, you can withhold rent and call department of health if needed.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
It's hard if you're making an effort and neighbors aren't.

We had a brief issue in our kitchen which we fixed by sprinkling boric acid powder around the perimeter of the kitchen, in the bottom of our garbage, etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM

89 posts, read 150,853 times
Really sorry to hear you're going through this. Have you thought of trying those high frequency units that you plug into the outlet? They emit a high frequency noise that pests don't like. I had a mouse issue when I lived in Westchester (before moving to NYC) and I started using them. I put one in the kitchen. I've since lived in Washington Heights and now Forest Hills and I've used them in both apartments with maybe three roaches making an appearance in my old place. Honestly, I think there is something to them and I do believe they work. I used to see roaches in the hall in my old place, but they didn't really make an appearance inside my apartment. Maybe you should try putting one or two in the kitchen. I think they wear out over the years, but they cost at most $15 for two so they are easy to replace. It's true what other posters have said. You can make all the effort, but if your neighbors don't and the building doesn't, there's not much you can do. I wish you luck!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
The first thin one needs to do anytime they move into a new apartment, before the furniture and your belongings go in, you must check evry single crack in the whole entire apt.
behind fridge, sink, stive, cabinets, closets. anywhere there are pipes, along the baseboards or moulding.
I mean everywhere and use clear caulking or steel wool around pipes.

do everything, do it yourslef do not wait for anyone to do it for you.

I did this 25 years ago and never had so much as an ant in my apartment.

it is worth it and easier to do all of this BEFORE you move in.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM

466 posts, read 902,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk321 View Post
Really sorry to hear you're going through this. Have you thought of trying those high frequency units that you plug into the outlet? They emit a high frequency noise that pests don't like. I had a mouse issue when I lived in Westchester (before moving to NYC) and I started using them. I put one in the kitchen. I've since lived in Washington Heights and now Forest Hills and I've used them in both apartments with maybe three roaches making an appearance in my old place. Honestly, I think there is something to them and I do believe they work. I used to see roaches in the hall in my old place, but they didn't really make an appearance inside my apartment. Maybe you should try putting one or two in the kitchen. I think they wear out over the years, but they cost at most $15 for two so they are easy to replace. It's true what other posters have said. You can make all the effort, but if your neighbors don't and the building doesn't, there's not much you can do. I wish you luck!
I remember looking into those devices a while back and finding that there was no evidence whatsoever to suggest they are effective. In fact, I haven't been able to find any information from entomologists who say that the devices work, but I've found plenty of entomologists who say there is no basis for the devices to work and no evidence to suggest they do.

Buyer beware. It's probably placebo.

edit: Oh yeah here's an old thread about this subject... it was for mice, but it's the same claim and the same scam

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post26151143

Here's a link to the Federal Trade Commission website which points out that such devices are not proven to work in controlling pests: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/global.shtm

Manufacturers of such devices can no longer make specific claims about their ability to control pests without providing substantial evidence to support those claims.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Roaches are nocturnal creatures. For the most part they come out to feed when you're sleeping.
If you say you can see them in places where there's no food (i.e.your dresser) during daytime, then I think you or the building have a pretty bad infestation.
Talk to the L/L or better yet write a letter to him and say that you're doing everything within your means to keep your apt neat and clean but this might be a problem coming from another unit, for which you have no control of.
Tell him that roaches can carry diseases (such as salmonella) and you worry for your daughter's well being and safety.
If he doesn't seem willing to rectify the situation, ask to, at least, be left off the lease claiming that the roach problem breaches the habitability clause standard in most leases.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Sounds like a good idea likeminas. We like the apartment overall. Area is nice, people are friendly, the apartment needs work but we have helped update for our landlord. The problem is cracks. Lots of them. Cracks in the wall, broken wood floors. Our lease is coming due in september but price wise this is the best we can do given the area. We have had the super come to fill lots of cracks. I think the landlords made false claims about the bug problem here. No way did these things just pop up with us.

Maybe I can get the super in here to fill in as many cracks and areas as possible. I don't want them in my or my daughters rooms. I have boric acid but I'm not sure what areas I can place it safely.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
skilldeadly,
The gels work wonders but they take some time but you obviously have one neighbor who won't let the exterminator in. And all it takes is one miserable neighbor housing 5,000 roaches and fresh ones keep going on nightly rummages.

Unless you have a cat, puff boric acid into every crack you can find. If you can get into the "pipe wall" use a half pound of the stuff. My last place had a 6 foot wide medicine cabinet that came out with a couple screws and all the pipes going to bathroom and kitchen were there...I puffed until the scene looked like a Winter wonderland.

And talk to the exterminator or management to see if you can ferret out that ONE neighbor who has never let the exterminator in...probably NEAR you.

Everything I did was for naught until the filthy fat pig who lived next to me moved out, early on thank God, and we went in with the super and the place looked like a HORROR movie, bugs EVERYWHERE...in a two year old LUXURY high-rise, yet. Imagine opening one kitchen cabinet and seeing 30 roaches running. They set off 4 bombs and all was well.
When they left I snuck back in and swept boric acid under the floor moldings that adjoined my apartment.

We had 4 tenants in that apartment after her and never a problem...and never needed the exterminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City