Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times

Advertisements

I'd probably say that NYC (particularly boroughs like Queens, etc.) and Miami are two of the "least" traditionally American cities. They are melting pots filled with immigrants. Of course "bronxguyanese" does allude to the fact that there are plenty of wealthy transplants & former suburbanites sprinkled into various sections of Brooklyn & Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Maybe that's because your American stereotypes are based on New Yorkers? If anything New York is probably one of the least "American" cities since it has such a high proportion of immigrants and expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
It's hard to explain. Basically I think anyone could come from anywhere in the USA and find they could understand and relate to a new yorker. However say if you moved from rural america in the east to LA or San Fran then you would find people pretty strange. In a way, maybe movies etc have prepared the rest of the US for something closer to the new yorker as to what an "american" is.
I don't think that's true at all. For the tens of millions of Americans who don't live in huge metro areas like the Boston-Washington metroplex, Chicago, etc, NYC is an alien place, and most couldn't understand how people could live there. I think these people living in smaller places, as well as those living in big metros like Atlanta or Dallas, would probably be more comfortable with the sprawling, car-centric culture of LA and San Fran than they would with NYC. That's much more like what they know than Manhattan (which is generally the idea of NYC people get from movies and TV).

Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
It's hard to explain. Basically I think anyone could come from anywhere in the USA and find they could understand and relate to a new yorker. However say if you moved from rural america in the east to LA or San Fran then you would find people pretty strange. In a way, maybe movies etc have prepared the rest of the US for something closer to the new yorker as to what an "american" is.
When you visited, did you happen to go to all of the other "touristy" areas where you would be around extra "American" people? If you didn't happen upon "strange" then I think you missed most of the city.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:

I don't know about that I feel like a lot of middle america comes here as tourists partially because NYC is so different and dare I say exotic.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I'd probably say that NYC (particularly boroughs like Queens, etc.) and Miami are two of the "least" traditionally American cities. They are melting pots filled with immigrants. Of course "bronxguyanese" does allude to the fact that there are plenty of wealthy transplants & former suburbanites sprinkled into various sections of Brooklyn & Manhattan.
Some people would argue Miami is the most American since it has people from all over the American continent. That's another way of looking at things though...

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I wish I can drape myself with the American flag everyday on the nyc subways

Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
New York is ultra-American in its focus on money, speed, and self-invention.

It's un-American in its diversity (in all senses of the word), live-and-let-live attitude, and overall urbanity.

If you're born here or have lived here a long time, you forget how alien something as simple as a ride on the 7 train is to 90 percent of Americans.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
When you visited, did you happen to go to all of the other "touristy" areas where you would be around extra "American" people? If you didn't happen upon "strange" then I think you missed most of the city.
Based mostly off of traffic in the subway and streets going inbetween places in manhattan. So it might have been more heavily tourist influenced than I expected.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree New York and NYers are not typical American/s. New York City doesn't represent the rest of USA. If a foreigner only visits NYC, they don't get an idea on what the rest of the USA is like.
Agreed. NYC is so different from the rest of America. It's like saying Paris represents France.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:02 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Then they could move back to their country of origin.
Yeah, I don't think the US has much to offer in the way of life improvement unless you're coming from a 3rd world or conflict-torn country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: