Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Yes I'm sure I live in Bed Stuy, I'm sure I was born there too. I never said I didn't understand WHY the businesses are opening up, and I'm not necessarily against that type of thing OR gentrification for the most part. I'm just saying people are jumping the gun with these things, getting overly optimistic and jumpin with two feet before the pool is even 1 foot. The community for the most part is not primed for this type of yet, especially the portions where you are seeing these things popping up. It's ridiculous. it crashes all around them. I saw the same thing happen to dumbo when it was taking baby steps to become what it is today. And just to answer your other question, no I don't see an uptick of baby strollers or newcomers of age to to even to start a family. Do YOU live in Bed Stuy?
Businesses never wait until a community is primed for it. Its risky, but if you get in their early, before all your competitors come in, that's when you really make the money. I remember when Williamsburg got its first organic and natural food stores, when the neighborhood was mostly a dump. A few of them survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Businesses never wait until a community is primed for it. Its risky, but if you get in their early, before all your competitors come in, that's when you really make the money. I remember when Williamsburg got its first organic and natural food stores, when the neighborhood was mostly a dump. A few of them survived.
I'm aware of that and I agree with you. That's logical business. But on the flipside you cant go to the BedStuy Bushwick Border and open a shop full of pricey handknitted alpaca baby clothes just because you supposedly personally sourced them from the finest handcrafter in the thousand year old hills of Peru. This is the type of thing I'm talking about. It gets that ludicrous. Now if you bring some rare instruments, some other type of handicrafts, any type of goods that's at least somewhat in line the reality of your surroundings we'll be willing to shell that dollar and keep you alive. Trust.

Last edited by ROAM; 07-25-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that and I agree with you. That's logical business. But on the flipside you cant go to the BedStuy Bushwick Border and open a shop full of pricey handknitted alpaca baby clothes just because you supposedly personally sourced them from the finest handcrafter in the thousand year old hills of Peru. This is the type of thing I'm talking about. It gets that ludicrous. Now if you bring some rare instruments, some other type of handicrafts, any type of goods that's at least somewhat in line the reality of your surroundings we'll be willing to shell that dollar and keep you alive. Trust.
Again, you want to get in there early BEFORE it becomes a trend. Also, rents would be cheaper in the Bedstuy/Bushwick border. It does make business sense. Whether the business succeeds or not is another matter, but they aren't being irrational at all.

Besides, people move to areas based on them seeing the kinds of businesses they like. So if you can stay in business long enough, you'll attract the kinds of customers you need. So what if the people who have been living there longer aren't into what you do. How is their "reality" any more real than yours? Perhaps you need to check out the alpaca baby clothes. I don't get how ghetto is supposedly more real than the rest of the country.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
There are plenty of side streets with first floors that are zoned commercial that are used as residential with cheap enough rent for people to try and be innovative and entrepreneurial. No longer the case in manhattan or more west/north in brooklyn.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 AM

Busy avenues like Broadway, Fulton and myrtle will always be more for the general type stores where consumers can purchase necessities.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Again, you want to get in there early BEFORE it becomes a trend. Also, rents would be cheaper in the Bedstuy/Bushwick border. It does make business sense. Whether the business succeeds or not is another matter, but they aren't being irrational at all.

Besides, people move to areas based on them seeing the kinds of businesses they like. So if you can stay in business long enough, you'll attract the kinds of customers you need. So what if the people who have been living there longer aren't into what you do. How is their "reality" any more real than yours? Perhaps you need to check out the alpaca baby clothes. I don't get how ghetto is supposedly more real than the rest of the country.
Whoa whoa whoa. Who shat in your oatmeal, bro?. For starters I didn't mention anything about:

1) ghetto

And this is my problem exactly. People beginning to assume every non gentrified part of Brooklyn is the "ghetto". Just because I said "pricey" and "people here don't want that" Don't assume that people don't have money. The vast majority of people work or attempt to work, they don't embrace crime, and a good percentage are active in the community. This is a historically middle class area, with a decent professional class element. Though crime may occur, this not the ghetto. If you want to see what a ghetto in Brooklyn is, say the word and I'll take you personally. That was my issue with the female earlier in thread that defined her narrow "good Bed Stuy", the only reason I didn't break my foot off on her buttock was because she made me ashamed that I haven't heard the term "talented 10th" before, and her use of wikipedia to find neighborhood boundaries is at an expert level. People need to go outside move their feet and observe some of these areas they only type about for real.

2) Real

Real - occurring or existing in actuality.

When I open my eyes and look around, I assume what I'm seeing is real. This is what I mean by reality. No connotations. Not speaking in the "isht is real" sense and that you seem to be taking it as. This business owner I spoke on has the right to open whatever she wants wherever she wants. There's no disputing that, but I think anybody with common sense or any real New Yorker would have enough sense to see that not everything is for everywhere, no matter how optimistic you are about being there first. Optimistic business is often bad business and that sums up my entire point as far as that. It's clear to a lot of people when certain things just aren't going to work. I get your idealism, but this is a case of common sense. Where you see "if she can stay in business.. she find her customers " there are others that say "too early, she doesnt have a chance". Hey, trying is what counts I guess.

--
By the way, I did check out the alpaca baby clothes, as I do normally walk around my community, interact, and see what and who's new before I speak about it, and my admittedly non-professional opinion was it was sourced from her bedroom near the ant hills of Fort Greene park and not the 2000 year old mountains of Peru.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Busy avenues like Broadway, Fulton and myrtle will always be more for the general type stores where consumers can purchase necessities.
For now, yeah.

G-Dale, what end of Ridgewood are you from? Closer to Bushwick or Glendale?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
From what I observed about gentrification in my area - and after speaking to life long residents of the area..Gentrification comes and goes then arrives again. On my street I see large amounts of money being invested in very exclusive high end business. The fancy shops come and go. MOST fail.. It seems that wealthy young woman from wealthy families get hair brained ideas on what will fly and be a thriving operation. They will drop a few hundred thousand into renovating and re-decorating a place---and they look great! BUT one small problem. There is no sustainable market.

There is one shop in particular that has had three operators since I lived her...In the back alley is parked the owners high end Mercedes....it seems with young hipsters who want to be part of the "scene" Get large sums of money - that I assume comes from wealthy parents- and they start a stupid enterprise...kind of a hobby. Young rich woman who open up specialty pastry shops....You will not get rich selling damned cup cakes...there are three of these shops on my street...very nice to look at- but useless.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
For now, yeah.

G-Dale, what end of Ridgewood are you from? Closer to Bushwick or Glendale?
I'm from Glendale, but I apparently come off as if I'm from Ohio even though I've paid my fair share of taxes to this city. Right now I would align myself closer to Glendale, but geographically I'm pretty much of equal distance to either border.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa. Who shat in your oatmeal, bro?. For starters I didn't mention anything about:

1) ghetto

And this is my problem exactly. People beginning to assume every non gentrified part of Brooklyn is the "ghetto". Just because I said "pricey" and "people here don't want that" Don't assume that people don't have money. The vast majority of people work or attempt to work, they don't embrace crime, and a good percentage are active in the community. This is a historically middle class area, with a decent professional class element. Though crime may occur, this not the ghetto. If you want to see what a ghetto in Brooklyn is, say the word and I'll take you personally. That was my issue with the female earlier in thread that defined her narrow "good Bed Stuy", the only reason I didn't break my foot off on her buttock was because she made me ashamed that I haven't heard the term "talented 10th" before, and her use of wikipedia to find neighborhood boundaries is at an expert level. People need to go outside move their feet and observe some of these areas they only type about for real
Wow. Did you skip over parts of my post and only read (into) what you wanted? I very clearly said "good" as defined by expensive real estate, black and white gentrifiers, and the business that serve them. You are aware of the prevailing POVs of Bed Stuy, right? And you do realize that those areas mentioned would be counter to those POVs. You are making gross assumptions about me and what I do and don't know about the area and where within the neighborhood I venture. Also, it would be wrong not to admit that there are areas within Bed Stuy that are prone to high crime, gun violence, poverty, blithe, QOL issues, and the like. To say otherwise is a lie. You know good and well that people who have reservations about Bed Stuy would do best by sticking to the "good" areas that are in full gentrification swing.

Also, just an FYi, many women dislike being called "female" in the manner you used. It comes off as derogatory, which is probably how you intended it and how I interpreted it. So
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City