Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Also, just an FYi, many women dislike being called "female" in the manner you used. It comes off as derogatory, which is probably how you intended it and how I interpreted it. So
It comes off as derogatory because it is.

Of course the user always intends that.

Why on earth does being female need to come into a discussion featuring opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Big Daddy Kane thinks Bed-Stuy has "already completely changed."

Big Daddy Kane's Bed Stuy Is Gone, Gentrification Is "Erasing History" - New York - Music - Sound of the City

Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It comes off as derogatory because it is.

Of course the user always intends that.

Why on earth does being female need to come into a discussion featuring opinions.
Feminism.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Feminism.
Haha this seems to be beyond feminism. This is a bit much. If someone said "the guy/dude/man from earlier in the thread..." in reference to me, I would not think twice about it.

I don't know what you would call this...

Last edited by availableusername; 07-26-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Haha this seems to be beyond feminism. This is a bit much. If someone said "the guy/dude/man from earlier in the thread..." in reference to me, I would not think twice about it.

I don't know what you would call this...
I just through it out there. I have to stop throwing hail Mary's like that!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Also, just an FYi, many women dislike being called "female" in the manner you used. It comes off as derogatory, which is probably how you intended it and how I interpreted it. So
It's ok, you can give me the hand. I just didn't remember your name. I just remembered you referring to yourself as a female just seconds prior, but I when call you a female, you get radical on me and give me the hand. Look at you, just arrived here and already on that Brooklyn bullisht.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
gentrification is when rich developers buy up the hoods and ghettos and
previously industrial areas, fix up all the dilapidated houses or tear them
down entirely and rebuild upscale housing for upper class people and
married middle class couples.

it's just modern day pioneering basically.
True - it is a luxury only rich people can afford. "Look ma! I'm a rich person living in a poor person's home! Now I'm hangin' with the hood!"

please....

Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotShake View Post
True - it is a luxury only rich people can afford. "Look ma! I'm a rich person living in a poor person's home! Now I'm hangin' with the hood!"

please....
Were brownstones originally built to house the poor? I think most were built for the working middle class to commute into lower manhattan and downtown brooklyn. It's cyclical.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Were brownstones originally built to house the poor? I think most were built for the working middle class to commute into lower manhattan and downtown brooklyn. It's cyclical.
Brownstones were never built "for" the poor. Tenements were for the poor. Brownstones were built for the middle (really "upper" middle class) in the 1800 and early 1900s.

Closing Bell: The History of Bed Stuy | Brownstoner

If you've ever been inside an untouched one, you'll see that it's very ornately appointed with lots of marble, mahogany, and just general opulence. Kind of like the decor you'd find in the mansions of the super wealthy but on a smaller scale. I'd equate them with housing for your business class- the ones that do well and can live in some luxury but wouldn't be considered Vanderbilt rich. Much in the same way that condos go up that price out poorer people but those making in the $150-$300K range, it's just the right fit.

And G-Dale has a point, it's come back around to that. The people gentrifying are much like a middle class as crazy as it seems. They can't afford wealthier BK neighborhoods where homes are $3MM + so they spend $1MM on a Brownstone or Limestone in BedStuy, Crown Heights, etc

Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
G-Dale was right about the fact that Bushwick now gives people more reason to come there. I live in Bed-Stuy and I can't see one reason for an outsider to come here unless they're visiting someone. We've always had our lil community thing going, but nothing anyone should be compelled to come to like that. Now people try to plant flag by putting up a bunch of questionable Williamsburg type establishments: gimmicky coffee shops, baby clothes boutiques and all these out of place businesses that flop within weeks. Bushwick on the other hand is developing a thriving art, music, and party scene in places where only 8 years ago I saw heroin addicts trying to share needles with ghosts nightly. The Bushwick Arts festival last months had 500 events in Bushwick in three days. Yes 500.

And that Pratt area you people love to speak of, it's a MARVEL to everyone in the Stuy and Clinton Hill that transplants in stained loose t-shirts and citibikes have conquered that radius in that manner. That block was historically one of the WORST in the city in terms of crime and there's a precinct literally around the corner. Lafayette Gardens is a LEGENDARY project in Brooklyn and everyone slapped themselves in the face when they first saw hipsters sitting on the curb eating sandwiches oblivious to the history directly behind them.
Alot of good information on here last few pages... I gotta back to reading this thing on a regular basis... For the record I just disregard most of what G-dale says because it's clear this person just piggy-backs off of other people's opinions of certain areas that fit his agenda... I'll never take people like that seriously and he can personally say whatever he wants... I couldn't care less...

Getting back to the point you made about Bed-stuy/Bushwick I don't know man I'm more with jad2k on this one... At first I was skeptical on Bed-stuy but it's crazy how quickly hipsters/transplants settled into that hood... I've mentioned this before but it seems as if nobody seems to realize how Bushwick has been widely touted as the next Williamsburg for close to 20 years now... There were articles in the late 90s talking about the Bushwick scene was played out () and how Ridgewood or Greenpoint was the next big thing... And yet, despite all that, if you actually walk around the neighborhood and stop going by what you read on here you'll see how ACTUAL BUSHWICK really hasn't changed in a number of ways...

Also... if I had a nickel for every time someone used Bushwick to describe East Williamsburg/Maspeth/Ridgewood/Greenpoint/Stuy Heights, etc. I'd be a very rich man right now... Bushwick, mainly among the internet obsessed has become an identity as opposed to a neighborhood... It no longer means the district guidelines set by community board 4... However if we were just considering actual Bushwick, the fact is that the thriving art scene strictly along the East Williamsburg border is about all it has going for it in terms of actual change...

You're not wrong when you mention the 500 art shows for BOS (it was actually closer to 600 when all was said and done)... but the reality was that of those 600 shows about 150-200 of them were actually in the east williamsburg/stuy heights area, around 10 each were in Maspeth/Ridgewood respectively and the overwhelming majority of the other art shows were from Dekalb to Flushing from about st. nich to knickerbocker which if you look at the map is actually a tiny portion of the neighborhood...

The rest of the area has experienced almost no change whatsoever other than a random broke hipster or two on certain blocks...

That isn't the case with Bed-stuy... Just like Downtown Brooklyn, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill and any other number of areas that have similar building styles, the people moving into these areas for the most part aren't the broke and desperate looking for a quick cheap temporary apartment as is the case with Bushwick but rather the ones looking to invest in the area because they see the potential... And again, just like jad2k said, the gentrification is being driven by all types not just by the group everyone loves to speak about on here... It's why Stuy Heights and other areas in Bed-stuy are starting to take off despite the crime whereas Bushwick if you really know the area, you'll see hasn't changed culture wise all that much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City