Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM

88 posts, read 305,075 times

Advertisements

Everything happens for a reason. So gentrification seems like a pretty good thing overall. Hopefully that will work in Detroit lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM

88 posts, read 305,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to rep you on this one. I'm from the hood to but I'm far from ghetto and you are right its just a small few bad eggs that ruin it for everyone. This type of attitude is not new to NYC and has been around for decades perhaps centuries.
Much respect

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
Everything happens for a reason. So gentrification seems like a pretty good thing overall. Hopefully that will work in Detroit lol.
I guess the graveyard of abandoned skyscrapers in downtown Detroit will remain as they are.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Honestly, the degree to which Bed Stuy is becoming "gentrified" is ridiculously exaggerated? Have you guys been there recently? There are a handful of hipsters but it's still 99% old, black people, and it's in pretty bad shape. Even if you concede that there are signs of modest gentrification the neighborhood is still at least a decade away from being what Bushwick is now.
I have to agree. Bed Stuy like Bushwick is receiving spillover from Williamsburg when it comes to gentrification. Western Bedstuy looks nice but eastern bedstuy facing brownsville is a far different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In a nutshell, gentrification is when poor areas of a city receive a lot of investment and development from "urban pioneers" to make the neighborhood better. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your opinion), most of the poor people are often pushed out of the neighborhood as it becomes more desirable and livable. This sudden demand for development in an otherwise undesirable area can be due to factors such as proximity to downtown or a great transportation network. I'm not too familiar with New York, but in Chicago a lot of the West and South side neighborhoods close to downtown have received a lot of investment and development, and consequentially have gentrified over the past decade.

Some people say gentrification is socially bad, but from a financial standpoint its great for the city and businesses in the area. Most people moving to gentrified neighborhoods have higher incomes than the ones that were there before. The home prices become higher (more property tax revenue), new businesses open (more tax revenue) and people moving in generally have fewer or no children (less stress on school districts). Then again, people that have lived in the area can be pushed away if they can't afford to live there anymore. It's an interesting phenomenon.
Gentrification has pros and cons to it. Pro side of things is that improves vitality of inner city urban living with more street life, cafes, lounges, restaurants, yoga studios and ethnic dance workshops. These slums become highly desirable and increases the demand for space and property value goes up. The con of gentrification is that it does remove a neighborhood ethnic character which is bound to happen. Another thing is economics, gentrification forces longtime residents to move out, by raising property taxes or rent imcreases, most of these people being working and middle class folks who pay the brunt of taxes for the city, many end up moving out to othrr counties all together. Gentrification is good for the city for the short run but it's not sustainable in the longrun. Trends and fads change like example the back to the city movement is in full swing now but will this trend be around in the next ten year enticing young white college grads to move to Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, snd. Property values go up and also down. With gentrification I have seen and witnessed more poverty and more income inequality. Trickle down effect is a huge failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You know there are Black gentrifiers also right?
Plenty of them.

Quote:
Lol. Hell gentrification cant even save Detroit, but guess what gentrification can't save NYC either. NYC has plenty of debt in the billions which will probably never be paid back. Eventually NYC needs to pull its self from pending doom in s generation or so. The city needs to build a new middle class to suistain its self, but that wont happen anytime soon until the wealthy hands over much of its wealth back over to the masses.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
I have to agree. Bed Stuy like Bushwick is receiving spillover from Williamsburg when it comes to gentrification. Western Bedstuy looks nice but eastern bedstuy facing brownsville is a far different story.

Gentrification has pros and cons to it. Pro side of things is that improves vitality of inner city urban living with more street life, cafes, lounges, restaurants, yoga studios and ethnic dance workshops. These slums become highly desirable and increases the demand for space and property value goes up. The con of gentrification is that it does remove a neighborhood ethnic character which is bound to happen. Another thing is economics, gentrification forces longtime residents to move out, by raising property taxes or rent imcreases, most of these people being working and middle class folks who pay the brunt of taxes for the city, many end up moving out to othrr counties all together. Gentrification is good for the city for the short run but it's not sustainable in the longrun. Trends and fads change like example the back to the city movement is in full swing now but will this trend be around in the next ten year enticing young white college grads to move to Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, snd. Property values go up and also down. With gentrification I have seen and witnessed more poverty and more income inequality. Trickle down effect is a huge failure.
I'd say that Bed Stuy's spillover is more so coming from Fort Greene/Clinton Hill, rather than Williamsburg as in Bushwick's case. Also, the niciest part of Bed Stuy happens to be the section between the Nostrand and Utica A train stops just north of Fulton. This is deep into Bed Stuy and not on its western fringe. Small businesses are being opened up by locals and I doubt that they would complain of any form of gentrification. Don't think there has been any uptick in poverty around there. Maybe increased income inequality, but due to people of higher incomes moving in, which I wouldn't see as a bad thing because it adds diversity. Better to have income inequality than only the poor.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd say that Bed Stuy's spillover is more so coming from Fort Greene/Clinton Hill, rather than Williamsburg as in Bushwick's case. Also, the niciest part of Bed Stuy happens to be the section between the Nostrand and Utica A train stops just north of Fulton. This is deep into Bed Stuy and not on its western fringe. Small businesses are being opened up by locals and I doubt that they would complain of any form of gentrification. Don't think there has been any uptick in poverty around there. Maybe increased income inequality, but due to people of higher incomes moving in, which I wouldn't see as a bad thing because it adds diversity. Better to have income inequality than only the poor.
I already noted that plenty of hassidc jews from South Williamsburg are moving into bed stuy. Much of the hipster Transplant scene spills over from clinton/fort green especially along Myrtle avenue. To be honest I rather have neither poor or income inequality, both are a bad recipe for disaster. Higher income adds more diversity in what? Ethnicity /race, housing stock, gender, sexual orientation. A good portion of these folks are single and tend not to have any children, also s good portion msy or may not plant roots and msy head back to the burbs to start or raise s family. Many locals do welcome gentrification, especially those that own property as well those who are educated. Gentrification is great and a quick way to make a buck, it just works, but still its not a long term economic solution on a macro level to save cities which are expensive to maintain. Right now people are laughing at Detroit, but look at NYC. It cant even afford to the rising cost of pensions for its employees. This is not a laughing matter.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-20-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 AM

482 posts, read 944,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Not is Riverdale though . You see, Riverdale is a bedroom community . Here in Riverdale, we are happy with the tight knit community that we have. But would much prefer gentrifier types than riff-raff . Anyway, maybe in the Bronx you will start seeing more and more of this, but not so much in Riverdale, NY
This smacks of racism, but I will leave it alone. Just know that there is riff raff already in Riverdale and always has been, it is The Bronx after all.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Whatever works I guess idk. Idk what tourists fascination is with New York City. I've never seen anything special there that other big cities didnt have to offer
Wow... tell us the urban marvels of Jacksonville

Old 07-20-2013, 08:07 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Not is Riverdale though . You see, Riverdale is a bedroom community . Here in Riverdale, we are happy with the tight knit community that we have. But would much prefer gentrifier types than riff-raff . Anyway, maybe in the Bronx you will start seeing more and more of this, but not so much in Riverdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
This smacks of racism, but I will leave it alone. Just know that there is riff raff already in Riverdale and always has been, it is The Bronx after all.

Do you really think that my neighbors and I in Riverdale, NY want this coming into our town?

I think not

Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
I already noted that plenty of hassidc jews from South Williamsburg are moving into bed stuy. Much of the hipster Transplant scene spills over from clinton/fort green especially along Myrtle avenue. To be honest I rather have neither poor or income inequality, both are a bad recipe for disaster. Higher income adds more diversity in what? Ethnicity /race, housing stock, gender, sexual orientation. A good portion of these folks are single and tend not to have any children, also s good portion msy or may not plant roots and msy head back to the burbs to start or raise s family. Many locals do welcome gentrification, especially those that own property as well those who are educated. Gentrification is great and a quick way to make a buck, it just works, but still its not a long term economic solution on a macro level to save cities which are expensive to maintain. Right now people are laughing at Detroit, but look at NYC. It cant even afford to the rising cost of pensions for its employees. This is not a laughing matter.
We're talking about 2 different parts of the neighborhood. You by the G, and me by the A/C. Hasidics do not count, they've been in the general vicinity for awhile. The area by the G has more of the hipster transplant scene, but I think the area I'm talking about is more gentrified. It was likely always nicer in the first place. Diversity of everything, diversity of goods sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City