Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Even worse, not only I condone it but I guess I like it You call it "ghetto behavior" I would call it "genuine neighborhood vibe", different perception I guess. To each his own though...
If you like the ghetto culture so much, I strongly suggest you move to Newark, NJ or upstate NY to Newburgh. These places really have a "genuine neighborhood vibe" to them. I think you may like it. In fact, while you're at it, also check out South Philly. Heard that area has that old NY, crime infested, music blarring vibe you are seeking. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If you like the ghetto culture so much, I strongly suggest you move to Newark, NJ or upstate NY to Newburgh. These places really have a "genuine neighborhood vibe" to them. I think you may like it. In fact, while you're at it, also check out South Philly. Heard that area has that old NY, crime infested, music blarring vibe you are seeking. Good luck!
Where did I say I liked crime infested areas?? These places are depressing, what are you talking about

Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM

108 posts, read 209,851 times
Quote:
Even worse, not only I condone it but I guess I like it You call it "ghetto behavior" I would call it "genuine neighborhood vibe", different perception I guess. To each his own though...

Give me a break frenchy. These are the same areas most people don't even feel safe walking through. Have fun trying to sleep while the guy upstairs from you blasts hip hop until 3am because he doesn't work and could care less about you or anyone else. No thanks. Gentrify those neighborhoods and bring civilization back those areas.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
It is increasingly common for such people as this poster to objectify ghetto behavior and the people therein and consume this, "real New York vibe !!!" or similar, given the lacks in their own lives. Well ... "Ghetto" does not equal "real New York vibe."

In Harlem, every single day I run into another transplant who is in the process of smugly embracing ghetto culture. "Keepin' it real" and all. Down with the 'hood. One guy actually bragged openly about how one of the hood rats showed him "his guns." This made him feel quite manly and again, "real" somehow. Unfortunately, the gun holder has four small children in his home. But hey, who are we to judge. Right.

Such people are greatly interested in keeping everybody exactly where they are. And yes - I have a serious problem with that.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
The Bronx is ratchet, no way around this.

Every NYC borough has a purpose:

Manhattan= Job center and upper class housing
Staten Island= Middle class suburbs
Bronx= Low class housing
Queens= Multipurpose
Brooklyn= Working class housing

Of course there are some exceptions to this but this is generally how it things are and were for a long time.
repped.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
That might sound corny to a lot of people but this is the side of NY where I felt the most love and where I feel the most comfortable, these parts made me a NY lover.
I feel you man Newbies will never understand nor do they want to.

I've felt like a foreigner in my own city for years now.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM

268 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
Give me a break frenchy. These are the same areas most people don't even feel safe walking through. Have fun trying to sleep while the guy upstairs from you blasts hip hop until 3am because he doesn't work and could care less about you or anyone else. No thanks. Gentrify those neighborhoods and bring civilization back those areas.
Civilization is something a lot of neighborhoods seem to lack these days.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
I grew up in that type of areas overseas, and its no different from what you have in the US, so I somewhat know what I'm talking about. Now I can understand that the guy who has to wake up at 6am to go to work don't wanna be kept awake by some fools playing loud music until dawn. As long as it is during the day and it it don't bother the neighbors I'm ok with it. Unfortunately in some cases these dumb ***** don't respect their neighbors.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
I grew up in that type of areas overseas, and its no different from what you have in the US, so I somewhat know what I'm talking about.
This is, finally, really really dumb.
I mean ... give me a break.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
No thanks. Gentrify those neighborhoods and bring civilization back those areas.
Like bring boat loads of white people into to the community that cause rents to sky rocket and prices for just about everything else to go up ?

I'm sure the locals in brooklyn would agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City