Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM

16 posts, read 85,461 times

Advertisements

"If you want something like the Back Bay then south of Christopher Street and areas off 7th to the north will remind you a little of your area in Boston."

THAT WOULD BE GREAT! I lived next to the prudential center. My apartment was connected to Shaws on Boylston Street. Very clean area with every convenience in the area.

I lucked out with location there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,995,309 times
Meh, too commercial for me right at Prudential.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 20,121 times
I've lived here for a year, and I love it. Technically I suppose I'm in Greenwich Village, since I'm on the corner of 6th Ave, but it really is a great area. It's quiet compared to the rest of the city, and has a good deal of nightlife. It's walking distance from a lot of things. Rent-wise, I'm in a 2 bedroom for $3650 and it's very nice, has a living room, kitchen, eat-in bar, dishwasher, etc. I know someone in one of the first posts made a general statement that there is a bad mice problem, but I can tell you I've never had one in my place. I do also have one of those noise-emitters, so maybe that makes a difference. Finding an elevator building might be tough, if that's important to you, but you adjust to walk-ups after awhile.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM

756 posts, read 2,275,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipley View Post
I know someone in one of the first posts made a general statement that there is a bad mice problem, but I can tell you I've never had one in my place. I do also have one of those noise-emitters, so maybe that makes a difference.
I think mice must vary building-to-building. I've never seen one in my apartment at 7th and Bedford after 3 years, but my friend who lives near Bleecker and 7th has had several. My building also sends an exterminator every month, so that probably helps quite a bit.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM

46 posts, read 113,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Chelsea seems very large, I would need to be near the 23rd street and 6th ave path, is that a good area? Also, s FiDi really that dead, and is 10th-12th ok in Hell's Kitchen as opposed to the times square area? I would not mind living in the East Village, but it seems like the path would be distant? Any thoughts?
I did not find it to be that big. Manhattan in my opinion, is very walkable. The path runs along 6th avenue and there are other stops. 23rd street is a pretty safe area. I lived a very close to distance to 23rd/6th. What I liked most about living around there is that it is very active. You can come home all hours of the night and people are around.

FIDI was not a very active area when I lived there a few years ago. You also may find it more expensive with regards to amenities as well just given the area. The up side is that depending where you are --you can be close to a lot of things. I lived very close to there and other neighborhoods are easily accessible to it. It does quiet down at night and on the weekends because it is a commercial area, although there are residential buildings too.

It Depends on where you are in the East Vil. It is a great neighborhood. There are stops at 9th street and 14th street. It's a walkable area. I am a walker and seldom take transit so if you don't mind walking.

10-12th avenue? What are the cross streets? I don't like the area in general to live. I find it run down, congested and a lot of overflow from 42nd. That's just my personal preference.

And I agree with the other posters. I am from Boston, certain parts of the Village will remind you of Back Bay. Use the path map to see what you can/cannot live with/without. Decide what you want in terms of amenities, make a list and see what you are left with.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Sixth Avenue and 23rd is a prime location. Perfectly safe, superb shopping, easy transportation and of course, the PATH station that shares with the F and the M trains. It doesn't have the charm of old brownstones but it has immense apartment buildings galore to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City