Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is my first post.

I might move pretty soon to East Hanover to work, but I'd prefer to live in New York.

Considering I would work from home (NY) 2 days per week, how feasible it would be to commute the remaining 3 days?

Is there a good public transport system between East Hanover and NYC? Trains? How long it would take?

Thanks very much for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Reverse commute? That's a long trip. Why not save the money by not living in NYC and then you'll have extra money to visit and spend in the city?

Either way, if you do chose to reverse commute, it looks like many of the schedules cater to people doing the tradition NJ to NY commute, such as the bus, which only has late afternoon NYC to E Hanover.
http://www.coachusa.com/community/ss...id=18745156465

Looking at the trains, it seems one would need a car to get to and from the stations into E Hanover...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Absolutely, totally, completely insane idea.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
the most realistic way is to keep a car and drive out the holland then via 280. public transport options for reverse commute to EH are very slim. moreover, unless your workplace happens to be right next to the bus/train stop, you probably can't walk from the stop to your office. most parts of NJ aren't particularly amenable to walking as part of a commute

i had a similar reverse commute once upon a time from manhattan to nj. after my apartment lease expired i immediately moved to nj. it gets very very tiresome, and your money will go a lot farther in nj. it's not hard at all to get into nyc to socialize living in that part of nj

however, if you absolutely insist, i hope you can afford to live in lower manhattan and keep a car and garage spot, because any other plan is going to be rough on you. if you can afford to live near the holland, you will usually have about a 40 minute commute each way (but occasionally double that via the whims of traffic, especially returning in the evening - hopefully you will work late, past rush hour!)

alternately, you could take the lincoln or gwb out, then do 80/3 to 46 to new road to ridgedale ave. this is a worse commute, but would somewhat expand your options of where you could live in the city. personally i don't think it's very realistic

any other plan besides living on the west side near one of the hudson crossings adds either a cross town commute or something equally terrible to the equation and is an awful, awful idea

good luck

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Supernova,

Let me retract my strident post.
Since you didn't mention the state I googled "Map East Hanover NY" and it took me to Hanover, NY, which is on Lake Erie near Buffalo.

And of course THAT kind of commute is insanity, like a gajillion miles, a 6.5 hour drive.

East Hanover Township, NJ is a more realistic 24 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City