Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,033,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What's wrong with the NJT train that gets you there in 5 minutes from Penn
Station?
Or the PATH train that connects Hoboken's NJT station with Herald Square, or the PATH train that connects Newark's station for NJT and Amtrac with with either Herald Square or the WTC soon to be transportation hub.

I think duplication of routes is silly and a way to waste immense sums of money.

In Jersey City there is a group trying to save an unused wall of stone running through the City by claiming the need for Light Rail from the Waterfront to Journal Square in spite of its connecting the exact same two points that already connect with the fast underground clean PATH train.
It's like calling for an EL to be rebuilt above Lexington Avenue...nuts!

A good rule of thumb: If there is already a rail link connecting two points, look ELSEWHERE for the need to put in a new line. Not hard to understand, right?

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-26-2013 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,699,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A good rule of thumb: If there is already a rail link connecting two points, look ELSEWHERE for the need to put in a new line. Not hard to understand, right?
What if the tunnels are at MAXIMUM capacity and can't take any more trains but there are more people that need to get in? Is that hard to understand?'

Better rule of thumb: build to meet demand

Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM

8,674 posts, read 11,063,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I got to ride the Beijing subway multiple times when I visited China a year ago. It really is just about the same experience as riding a subway in any other major city, and the air is actually cleaner down there than it is above ground!

Not to mention the price -- just 2 yüan, or about 32 cents!

The dark side of some of that construction, from what I've heard, is how the government bought up some of the land and kicked poorer people out of their homes. Still, what they did for train infrastructure is nothing compared to what they've done (and are still doing) to build more automobile infrastructure. Robert Moses would feel right at home among these Chinese planners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

I took that same train when it first open.....I guess foreign rates have changed... I remember 25 cents! I was very impressed how clean & well run it was.

As for the vid, that is the railways I think.....I could be wrong...equivalent to our Metro North/NJT. In major cities in china, there are many diff train systems....and cost varies a lot to the locals there.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,836,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Or the PATH train that connects Hoboken's NJT station with Herald Square, or the PATH train that connects Newark's station for NJT and Amtrac with with either Herald Square or the WTC soon to be transportation hub.

I think duplication of routes is silly and a way to waste immense sums of money.

In Jersey City there is a group trying to save an unused wall of stone running through the City by claiming the need for Light Rail from the Waterfront to Journal Square in spite of its connecting the exact same two points that already connect with the fast underground clean PATH train.
It's like calling for an EL to be rebuilt above Lexington Avenue...nuts!

The PATH operates at Capacity during rush hr and the Amtrak Tunnels have operated at Capacity since 2005....most of the day... The Jersey City LRT line your taking about would connect to booming areas of Jersey City and relieve the PATH. Its part of a Larger Urban Jersey LRT network that is on hold due to stupid political garbage... The Real relief line is needed between Newark and Jersey City , and a New Hudson Tunnel is needed for Amtrak and NJT. Alot of the lines in Urban Jersey will duplicate current lines which operate at Capacity hence why the Newark Subway will be expanding to the Oranges , Irvington , Elizabeth , Paterson to replaced overcapacity Bus and Rail lines...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,691 times
too many NYC worker unions....

Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM

255 posts, read 475,373 times
Had it not been for the depression and WWII, we would have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City