Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 88,090 times

Advertisements

After all the paper work and interviews, I just got approved for an apartment in a large Manhattan building complex that includes a bunch of affordable housing--and before I decide to move out of my current place (which is a nice loft in Bk) I wanted to get some feedback from others who have lived in these lottery-won, "affordable" (my apt would cost over $2000, cheap for the area in Manhattan, but not cheap in non-nyc reality) apartments from either side of the boat-the "80s" and the "20s":

Are the affordable apartments made to lower standards than the market rate generally speaking?
Are the affordable apartments usually clustered together?
What are some drawbacks from this program in a general sense?
Anything else I should keep in mind before signing on the dotted line?

Thanks so much for any and all feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siempre123 View Post
After all the paper work and interviews, I just got approved for an apartment in a large Manhattan building complex that includes a bunch of affordable housing--and before I decide to move out of my current place (which is a nice loft in Bk) I wanted to get some feedback from others who have lived in these lottery-won, "affordable" (my apt would cost over $2000, cheap for the area in Manhattan, but not cheap in non-nyc reality) apartments from either side of the boat-the "80s" and the "20s":

Are the affordable apartments made to lower standards than the market rate generally speaking?

Thanks so much for any and all feedback!!
What are your major concerns?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM

My most general concern is that this whole affordable housing set up is a creepy scam--to help the rich get even richer through the exploitation of the poor and, in my case, middle class, which I am not trying to be a part of. This is quite cynical, I know, but it is hard not to be and specifically in NYC. Also, I love Brooklyn so I am hesitant to leave.
However, the opportunity to live in a brand new apt in Manhattan is tempting and would cut down my commute to work.
Basically, I would like to hear a bit about people's experiences to get a better sense of the program as a whole.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

No they are not.

They are not legally ALLOWED to be, but you might find that all are on lower floors...illegally.\

No drawbacks for the recipients...some of the market priced people might feel cheated,

Make sure you have a pen in your hand.

Congratulations

Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Some types of affordable units have slightly less expensive finishes and/or appliances--but that isn't a big deal. One drawback is that if you live in a building with market rate and affordable units then over time the market rate tenants sometimes find out who the affordable tenants are. As a result, some affordable tenants then become subjected to harassment by other residents and building staff. It's still worth it obviously so congratulations!

I'd keep your status as an affordable tenant a closely guarded secret if you can.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
The OP is a little confusing. Is the $2k mentioned what he will be paying in the "affordable housing" development?

I'm not familiar with these types of dwellings. Are background checks (credit and criminal) done on all of the applicants or is it strictly a matter of being in the right income bracket and having your name tossed into the pot?

What happens if you are earning under the maximum now but in a year or two get a job that pays double what you are earning now? Is the apartment yours forever or are there yearly income checks to see if you comply or some type of significant increase in rent that goes up with your salary?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Hi Cleasach, and thanks to the others for your replies.
I'm talking about the 80/20 apartment lotteries which are overseen by the NYC HPD (or mayeb it's HUD?) Sorry if I was confusing--to answer your questions:

Is the $2k mentioned what he will be paying in the "affordable housing" development?
Yes, give or take a few hundred

Are background checks (credit and criminal) done on all of the applicants or is it strictly a matter of being in the right income bracket and having your name tossed into the pot?
Background/ credit checks and right income bracket and a billion other documents are required to qualify after being selected in the lottery

What happens if you are earning under the maximum now but in a year or two get a job that pays double what you are earning now? Is the apartment yours forever or are there yearly income checks to see if you comply or some type of significant increase in rent that goes up with your salary?
I believe that in this case once I qualify I am in, no yearly checks, but I think that differs in other buildings/ complexes of this type

Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I have a friend who has an 80/20 apartment near Penn Station. He loves it. He’s an actor and could never afford to live alone in Manhattan otherwise. They’re great apartments. The only problem is there are too few of them.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
They’re great apartments. The only problem is there are too few of them.
Some will say there are too many of them and that's the only problem.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM

345 posts, read 853,034 times
THe only problem I think these new affordable housing units have is that they instanly become rent stabilized. Meaning your rent will go up every year or two, regardless of your income. When happens if you lose your job and your income goes down. Will they adjust your rent or will they ask you to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: