Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The conflict between Haitians and Dominicans is ethnic.

It does make sense. In the British Isles the Irish and the British have been at each other's throats. The Protestants versus the Catholics.

In Africa you have wars between different nations of Blacks.

So why is it shocking that there's war in Hispa~ola because of the history of the island?

Basically, the nasty history between the Haitians and the Dominicans came from the colonial wars between the Spanish and the French (two white groups who fought each other).
I know the conflict is ethnic.

I said it didnt make sense because he said it was hundreds of years (almost implying as if it was going on for so many centuries) when it was not.

When it actually started with the "occupation" of the eastern side of the island, which lasted only 22 years by the new Republic of Haiti.

There was no Dominican Republic until 1844.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
I understand, you want the best products and service for your dollar. But what I you also need for you to understand is that negative attitudes toward Black business cost us all dearly. Did you know that if Black Americans would spend more of there money with black businesses that we would be the 4th most powerful economy on the planet? We spend over 1 trillion dollars with other groups many of whom are hateful toward us. Some of whom even brag about how they can come into the black community treat the customers like trash and STILL fleece Black people out of huge amounts of wealth and put it into their coffers!

Do you understand 150 years after actually the enslavement black people only own 1 and 1/2 percent of wealth in this country? That's less wealth than we actually had during our enslavement! Other groups like the Koreans, Arabs, Chinese, Cubans come to America is with an ECONOMIC in tow but 50 years after the end of state sanction apartheid we are still are hoping in the good will of people who see us as racially inferior to feed and cloth us? Does that make sense? We have absolutely NO time for petty fight anymore. The door is almost closed on us and future our at bottom of this economic system is almost completely sealed. I can understand if you only care yourself but don't attack us that do about our future care.
Except you don't care about the future of Blacks. You're creating a cult of Blackness, and you attack anyone who isn't into it. If people were dumb enough to follow your advice, they'd impoverish themselves even more.

If you look at the city as a whole, outside of restaurants, bars, and the cleaners, immigrant retail businesses are being pushed aside in favor of major retailers.

There is little to no money in owning most small businesses, many of which go out of business in a few years! As for the employees of small businesses, regardless of race they are making the minimum wage.

So if you seriously think Blacks will uplift themselves by working for the minimum wage in a small business, it means you know absolutely nothing about money, business or investing.

So go straight with your friends and go on about how Black you are, and working in your minimum wage job at your minimum wage business (with no promotion, as everyone just works for the owner) and enjoy living in the housing projects, in some basement, or 50 people to a house. That's the reality of working in a small inner city business in NYC.

The Asians, Hispanics (or for that matter Blacks) who moved up in NYC have professional jobs and careers. And if they do own businesses, its not ****ty retail small businesses (which is your definition of small business).

Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
I live in a neighborhood that is heavily Hispanic. Have not seen an African American in months since I have lived here.
I have to admit that at times I do feel like an outsider. At the end of the day there is a clear understanding that most people in the hispanic community stick to their own kind.
And I am 100% ok with that. I have never wanted to be Hispanic...nor do I ever want to be.

Only thing that has bothered me since being here is the fact that Hispanic use the "N" word more than I have ever heard it being used by those in my own race. The majority of Hispanic males worship black rappers/singers and the same goes for Hispanic females. So I don't really understand how many can not want to be associated with blacks but still listen to music and use language that a lot of blacks use.

I look forward to moving out of this place and moving to a more diverse area. I have no issues with Hispanics. I know for a fact that Hispanic women love a good educated strong professional black man. I could have my pic of women in this neighborhood. Black men like myself are few and far in between.

I only hope that they would not base their opinions of all black people off of the thugs and idiots they see on television and on the streets. Most have never met a professional black guy like myself and have not taken the time to try. It is what it is. Guys like myself really don't care.

Going to leave it at that.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I live in a neighborhood that is heavily Hispanic. Have not seen an African American in months since I have lived here.
I have to admit that at times I do feel like an outsider. At the end of the day there is a clear understanding that most people in the hispanic community stick to their own kind.
And I am 100% ok with that. I have never wanted to be Hispanic...nor do I ever want to be.

Only thing that has bothered me since being here is the fact that Hispanic use the "N" word more than I have ever heard it being used by those in my own race. The majority of Hispanic males worship black rappers/singers and the same goes for Hispanic females. So I don't really understand how many can not want to be associated with blacks but still listen to music and use language that a lot of blacks use.

I look forward to moving out of this place and moving to a more diverse area. I have no issues with Hispanics. I know for a fact that Hispanic women love a good educated strong professional black man. I could have my pic of women in this neighborhood. Black men like myself are few and far in between.

I only hope that they would not base their opinions of all black people off of the thugs and idiots they see on television and on the streets. Most have never met a professional black guy like myself and have not taken the time to try. It is what it is. Guys like myself really don't care.

Going to leave it at that.
How is this any different than any other ethnic group in this city? Hispanics don't even always get along amongst the different countries. Hell PR and DR don't get along that great all the time and they are arguably the two most similar hispanic populations in the city.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Except you don't care about the future of Blacks. You're creating a cult of Blackness, and you attack anyone who isn't into it. If people were dumb enough to follow your advice, they'd impoverish themselves even more.

The Asians, Hispanics (or for that matter Blacks) who moved up in NYC have professional jobs and careers. And if they do own businesses, its not ****ty retail small businesses (which is your definition of small business).

Don't worry phillystress is another one who not only doesn't own a business, or at least a thriving one, so has no idea what it entails.

And yes many blacks do own various professional service businesses, and they will tell you that her pleas for blacks to live in an economic ghetto is ridiculous. It is also an insult to those who fight against racism daily. One cannot tell other groups to stop showing bias against blacks, but tell blacks to isolate themselves.

Yes I agree that blacks must do a better job in pooling our connections and resources, but this isn't about being isolated. This is about ensuring that each can be more competitive in the mainstream. And this is also not about doing this to the exclusion of forming alliances with individuals fro m other groups either.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
How is this any different than any other ethnic group in this city? Hispanics don't even always get along amongst the different countries. Hell PR and DR don't get along that great all the time and they are arguably the two most similar hispanic populations in the city.

Once I was on the train and a Puerto Rican was harassing some Mexicans, claiming that he has more in common with Jamaicans than he does with them. Even Puerto Ricans have their issues between those from the Island and the ones who they derisively call Nuyoricans.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
good point, caribnyc

Even worse, she probably doesn't know that only 4% of enslaved Africans arrived in the United States and that most African slaves were brought to Latin America and the Caribbean islands (places like Puerto Rico) and probably thinks that only Black Americans are the real black people.

What would stress her out is that more slaves were brought directly to Barbados (600,000) than the under 500,000 who were brought direct from Africa to North America. Indeed even 160,000 were taken to tiny St Kitts. And of course Cuba accounted for 900,000 slaves (over 50% of those sent directly to the Spanish colonies) and over 5 million were exported to Brazil.

You can find that data on www.slavevoyages.org. Lots of very interesting data for those who make the time. For instance the vast majority of slaves brought into Cuba arrived after 1800, whereas the vast majority into the USA arrived before 1775. AAs are basically Senegambians, and Congo/Angolans, whereas Cubans are Congo, and from south east and southwest Nigeria. West Indians are southeast Nigerians, Ghanaians, and Congo.

Clearly islands like Barbados were not only sugar islands. But slaves brought in from Africa were "broken" with the more docile ones then purchased by US planters, so maybe 30% of AAs are descended from slaves brought in from the AngloCaribbean. this being definitely true of South Carolina and New York City.

We all under went the trauma of the slave trade, slavery itself and the various forms of racism/colorism after that. So phillystress and others need to stop separating themselves from other blacks, simply because we see life differently.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What would stress her out is that more slaves were brought directly to Barbados (600,000) than the under 500,000 who were brought direct from Africa to North America. Indeed even 160,000 were taken to tiny St Kitts. And of course Cuba accounted for 900,000 slaves (over 50% of those sent directly to the Spanish colonies) and over 5 million were exported to Brazil.

You can find that data on www.slavevoyages.org. Lots of very interesting data for those who make the time. For instance the vast majority of slaves brought into Cuba arrived after 1800, whereas the vast majority into the USA arrived before 1775. AAs are basically Senegambians, and Congo/Angolans, whereas Cubans are Congo, and from south east and southwest Nigeria. West Indians are southeast Nigerians, Ghanaians, and Congo
Afro-Latinos, Anglo-Caribbean blacks, and African Americans would most likely be a mix of various ethnic West and Central Africans. Even within African tribes there are different clans, etc.

Only 4% were brought to North America.

Hundreds of African ethnic groups crossed the Atlantic into the New World.

We do know however that the region which their ancestors were taken is from the Senegambia region all the way to down to Angola.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
for what its worth, I was hanging with this old jibaro who came to the us in the 50's for work. he was in nyc at some point later and some young bucks were giving him a hard time. this older black man was sitting nearby and told them to leave him alone cuz as he put it, until the pricans came to nyc black people could hardly go outside at night cuz the Italians and irish would beat on them. pricans put an end to that I suppose. could be true I guess, reminds me of that capeman or whatever he was called - the kid paul simon tried to make a bway play about.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:04 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
in my experience, pr's and black americans get along pretty well, prolly the ethnic group that black get along with the best. there are many similarities in our histories (in the context of america)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City