U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:01 PM
 
145 posts, read 319,298 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

We came home this afternoon to discover a leak in our kitchen. It was a pretty steady leak and our kitchen ceiling was wet. It eventually subsided and we asked the tenants upstairs what happened. Apparently their toilet overflowed (?!?!?) and that was the cause of the leak! In my opinion, they must have left it for quite some time for it to have caused as big of a leak as it did in my apartment. Throughout all of this, nobody from our building management or superintendent were to be found. They've not returned phone calls/texts/emails and this happened HOURS ago. I'm somewhat concerned about the integrity of our ceiling and am shocked that nobody has answered our calls. Do I just do nothing until their office reopens tomorrow morning? Or if you were in my shoes, would you call some sort of emergency repairman/plumber? I obviously do NOT want to get stuck with the bill for it. These tenants upstairs moved in recently and have been a total nightmare and I have no doubt this happened because of their own stupidity/negligence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
 
35,098 posts, read 48,471,362 times
Reputation: 62554
If the 'integrity' of your ceiling is compromised in a few hours from a leak you live in a terribly constructed apartment.
It is Sunday and most people do have the day off unless it is a true emergency which they probably consider this not to be.

Just because you do not like those who live above you does not mean they are stupid or negligent, it simply means you do not like/approve of them.

Put your complaint in writing with the date of the issue, the time it started, the time it stopped and what "damage" may have occurred; if you can take a photo and attach it. Then present that to the building management and get a signed receipt from them that they accepted your written complaint. They will do what they need to do for repairs if they do what they are supposed to legally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:19 PM
 
145 posts, read 319,298 times
Reputation: 67
last time i checked it was our superintendents job to be available 24/7 in case of an emergency. in fact, it says so on a sign in our building. the messages we've left have stated that we have water leaking into our kitchen from the apartment upstairs. they've not called us back so they don't know the extent of it, for all they know it is very bad. pretty sure big leaks and a wet cracked ceiling qualifies as an apartment emergency.

i've encountered the tenants on numerous occasions thus far, and in my opinion, do not have much common sense and are stupid. they also trashed the hallway and made gigantic holes in the wall when they moved in, rearrange furniture at 1am, refuse to get rugs but let their children throw toys at the floor until 11pm daily and BLAST their television regularly until 4am. AND it hasn't even been ONE month yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If the 'integrity' of your ceiling is compromised in a few hours from a leak you live in a terribly constructed apartment.
It is Sunday and most people do have the day off unless it is a true emergency which they probably consider this not to be.

Just because you do not like those who live above you does not mean they are stupid or negligent, it simply means you do not like/approve of them.

Put your complaint in writing with the date of the issue, the time it started, the time it stopped and what "damage" may have occurred; if you can take a photo and attach it. Then present that to the building management and get a signed receipt from them that they accepted your written complaint. They will do what they need to do for repairs if they do what they are supposed to legally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,466 posts, read 10,822,708 times
Reputation: 2411
It's important to dry the area properly. Preferably with an industrial hot air fan to avoid mold growth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM
 
145 posts, read 319,298 times
Reputation: 67
thanks for your reply. looks like i may be making a trip to home depot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
It's important to dry the area properly. Preferably with an industrial hot air fan to avoid mold growth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,466 posts, read 10,822,708 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoamy View Post
thanks for your reply. looks like i may be making a trip to home depot!
I had a water leak in one of my previous apts. When i came home i noticed that part of my stuff was drying in the yard. Inside the apt a hot air fan was humming. I moved away a few months later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
17,861 posts, read 10,937,896 times
Reputation: 13908
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If the 'integrity' of your ceiling is compromised in a few hours from a leak you live in a terribly constructed apartment.
It is Sunday and most people do have the day off unless it is a true emergency which they probably consider this not to be.

Just because you do not like those who live above you does not mean they are stupid or negligent, it simply means you do not like/approve of them.

Put your complaint in writing with the date of the issue, the time it started, the time it stopped and what "damage" may have occurred; if you can take a photo and attach it. Then present that to the building management and get a signed receipt from them that they accepted your written complaint. They will do what they need to do for repairs if they do what they are supposed to legally.
wow what a totally useless post. The OP will never get that 20 seconds back in his life
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
 
30,339 posts, read 43,513,999 times
Reputation: 12866
I don't think the toilet is the source of the leak....for example if I live in 7G and you live above me in 8G, the apartments are laid out the same way. How could your toilet be leaking and you notice the source of the leak in not your bathroom ceiling, but the kitchen?? Methinks either it's the pipe from the kitchen sink, or they have a washing machine they're not supposed to have, and the hose from the washing machine overflowed the sink. I think the people that live upstairs from you have an illegal washing machine. You said it subsided, so how did they "fix" it? Lol. They probably went out, came home to a big mess in their kitchen, and turned the washing machine off, thats how it "subsided."
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
 
145 posts, read 319,298 times
Reputation: 67
the layout of their apt is different than ours, i've actually been in it. ours is a floor through, but their unit is only half of the floor above us. i hadn't thought of an illegal washing machine, i guess that is another possibility given the extent of damage. when i say i want someone to "fix" it, i mean i want my super to assess the situation upstairs and make the necessary repairs to our wet/cracked/sunken ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't think the toilet is the source of the leak....for example if I live in 7G and you live above me in 8G, the apartments are laid out the same way. How could your toilet be leaking and you notice the source of the leak in not your bathroom ceiling, but the kitchen?? Methinks either it's the pipe from the kitchen sink, or they have a washing machine they're not supposed to have, and the hose from the washing machine overflowed the sink. I think the people that live upstairs from you have an illegal washing machine. You said it subsided, so how did they "fix" it? Lol. They probably went out, came home to a big mess in their kitchen, and turned the washing machine off, thats how it "subsided."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM
 
30,339 posts, read 43,513,999 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoamy View Post
the layout of their apt is different than ours, i've actually been in it. ours is a floor through, but their unit is only half of the floor above us. i hadn't thought of an illegal washing machine, i guess that is another possibility given the extent of damage. when i say i want someone to "fix" it, i mean i want my super to assess the situation upstairs and make the necessary repairs to our wet/cracked/sunken ceiling.
When I was referring to "fixing" it, I meant how did the leak eventually stop. How many units in your building?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top