Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM

108 posts, read 209,726 times

Advertisements

I have noticed over the past decade a difference in pedestrians attitudes. It use to be that, as a motorist, you stopped for a pedestrian, they waved, and walked a little faster across the street - showing appreciation for the fact you yielded to them (especially if they weren't in a crosswalk).

Nowadays, I have noticed that some folks appear to purposely walk extremely slow when I, or others I am in the car with, allow them to cross in front of our car.

Whats going on with that? I don't expect anyone to run, but it really seems like they're just busting balls by walking that slow. Keep in mind, im talking about those that are walking REALLY slow - like its blatantly obvious they couldn't care less about holding anyone up. What has led to this attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
LOL. i have noticed this trend too. I always jog in a situation like you described.

155 posts, read 258,880 times
I mainly see teenagers do this. Obviously if the individual is an elder, it's understandable. I personally walk fast (most of the time) when a car stops for me so that I can cross, because he/she did stop for me after all, so I'm being considerate. I think the people who walk really slow though are the ones with the "I don't care, I can do whatever I want attitude", or simply just don't care and are not considerate of others..

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
In Brooklyn, as long as the "little man is in white lights", people here don't even look both ways. They see the "white man in lights" and walk straight ahead, without a care in the world.

unbelieveable.

We have such morons living amongst us here.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK04 View Post
I mainly see teenagers do this. Obviously if the individual is an elder, it's understandable. I personally walk fast (most of the time) when a car stops for me so that I can cross, because he/she did stop for me after all, so I'm being considerate. I think the people who walk really slow though are the ones with the "I don't care, I can do whatever I want attitude", or simply just don't care and are not considerate of others..

I would agree that its mostly teenagers. I was on the bus a couple months ago..and the slowness of a pedestrian was mind-boggling. Half the people on the bus happened to notice this, and there was a general like "wtf, really?!?" kind of sigh and groan towards the pedestrian.

personally I walk quickly or sometimes even a light jog when drivers stop for me.

I think this is the reason a lot of drivers don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks anymore. And thats the problem right there.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Well at the vast majority of intersections, you can't turn right on a red light anyway, so it shouldn't really matter whether or not they sprint across or take a lazy stroll, as long as they're clear by the time you have a green light.

Unless you mean pedestrians that are jaywalking and holding you up when you have a green light, then yeah, that's annoying. It's especially bad in areas heavily frequented by large groups of tourists. The West Side Highway by where the cruise ships dock, and then a couple blocks down by the Intrepid come to mind - giant groups of people that are largely clueless about the city to begin with, all walking across the street, and no one wants to be the first one to stop so they invariably wind up walking out in the street, happy as can be, even after the solid red hand has popped up.

edit: oh wait I guess you mean when you're turning right on a green light and someone is crossing the street that you're turning onto. Yeah that makes more sense.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
In Brooklyn, as long as the "little man is in white lights", people here don't even look both ways. They see the "white man in lights" and walk straight ahead, without a care in the world.

unbelieveable.

We have such morons living amongst us here.
I'm confused, what's wrong with this? Shouldn't they have right of way?

Are you saying they're stupid because they don't look just in case? I agree that people should look no matter what. If you don't look both ways, you get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJLrcG64ulU

(you also get that from bad cyclists doing stupid ****)

Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
I always wave at the driver and walk a little faster across the street if I'm by myself, and the driver
stopped for me. I would bow my head a little if I'm carrying items on both hands just to acknowledge
their nice gesture. But when I'm not the only pedestrian waiting to cross the street, I'll probably just
walk a little faster without any acknowledgment to the driver.

As for why the pedestrians attitudes difference, maybe there are more and more people with the
entitlement attitude that the world revolve around them now a days. They are probably thinking
you are suppose to yield to them. Why should they acknowledge your courtesy? Also, you see a
lot more drivers not yielding to pedestrians or they would stop on top of the crosswalk forcing
pedestrians to go around the cars too.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
I'm confused, what's wrong with this? Shouldn't they have right of way?

Are you saying they're stupid because they don't look just in case? I agree that people should look no matter what. If you don't look both ways, you get this:

2 Fails Cancel Each Other Out - YouTube

(you also get that from bad cyclists doing stupid ****)

Right the pedestrian does have the right of way, even if they are jay walking. Common sense will tell you not to mow them down. Of course they will be in the wrong for crossing against the light so if you accidentally hit them you wouldn't be faulted but come on, you're driving a 2 ton machine.

I noticed when I'm crossing the street having the light some drivers will make a turn onto that street and be impatient like they own the road, even when they see I have the crosswalk light to cross. I try to hurry as best I can but when I was really feeling tired due to my disability sometimes that wasn't a possibility.

Patience is golden. What's a few seconds gonna cost you damn?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Right the pedestrian does have the right of way, even if they are jay walking. Common sense will tell you not to mow them down. Of course they will be in the wrong for crossing against the light so if you accidentally hit them you wouldn't be faulted but come on, you're driving a 2 ton machine.

I noticed when I'm crossing the street having the light some drivers will make a turn onto that street and be impatient like they own the road, even when they see I have the crosswalk light to cross. I try to hurry as best I can but when I was really feeling tired due to my disability sometimes that wasn't a possibility.

Patience is golden. What's a few seconds gonna cost you damn?
Nobody is saying to mow down pedestrians. I simply asked why some pedestrians walk as a snails-pace on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City