Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,470,300 times

Advertisements

I moved into this condo in mid-March....there has been one problem after another, but here's the latest...

I started seeing ants in my kitchen and around the washer/dryer area on Saturday morning..

In the kitchen, they were around my dishwasher and cabinet area. So I thoroughly cleaned everything with Windex and Fantastik....and put ant traps down. I purchased Raid ones since that's all the stores by me had. The Raid ones don't work well, the ants ignore them. I heard great things about Terro so I ordered those online.

I called landlord to ask if there have been any problems with ants before and of course she said no. I am sure this isn't the first time that ants have been in the condo. She told me to get ant spray and that "everyone gets them", which is kind of true, but isn't she responsible for some kind of action on her part?

Yesterday, I saw a few really small ones in the bedroom, so of course I got disgusted and went to the store and purchased Raid ant and roach and sprayed it along baseboards everywhere in the condo. I have a cat so I'm not entirely comfortable using poisons but I was sure to spray it in areas he doesn't have access to.

I know this problem is not my fault, I am very clean and don't leave any kind of food in cabinets, just canned. everything else goes in the fridge/freezer.

I saw a few in the kitchen this morning again. I am really hoping these Terro traps work well, but should they fail, isn't the landlord responsible to do something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM

575 posts, read 668,597 times
You are also brieathing the poison you are spraying.

Read your lease. Is your apt rent controlled?

Maybe you can get some info at 311.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,031,530 times
There is a warrant of habitability http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housi...bitability.pdf that you could point to if you need to get the landlord to send in a professional exterminator. This guide to pests in the NY Times says the pros can figure out which species of ant it is, and that will help them know how to treat. Perhaps the ants are ignoring your poison because it's the wrong one for that species. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...v-graphic.html

Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM

466 posts, read 898,937 times
How many ants? Are they actually causing a problem? Are there just a few foraging, or are they moving in little ant highways? If it's the latter, then I understand the problem, but if it's the former, I think you're going to just have to get over it. Ants gonna ant.

But seriously, ants aren't a bad thing. They are generally harmless, they don't carry disease, they aren't ugly like cockroaches and spiders, they don't suck your blood. They are predators and foragers. They'll help control real pests.

Personally, I love ants. Why do they disgust you? They are awesome. I mean that literally--they inspire awe. If they do not inspire awe in you, you need to open your heart and mind. I'm serious.

edit: For sake of clarity, some ants can be pests. A few species can invade wood structures and degrade the structures themselves. But these probably aren't those ants.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,031,530 times
This might help too Good Questions: How To Get Rid of Ants? Yuck! | Apartment Therapy

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Don't forget: ants love you. They wanted me to give this to you.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,753,885 times
Lol at people who think a condo is different than a rental besides just the ownership. Ants/rats/roaches don't care what you pay and where it's a part of NYC especially in the summer.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 AM

Ants are a part of summer anywhere... that's why people need to Learn To Stop Worrying And Love The Ants.

Behold their majesty! Admire their beauty! Dream of a better tomorrow--when ant and man will stand side by side, intrepid in their quest for truth, and love.

Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 07-30-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,643,187 times
OP,

I use "Combat Source Kill Max Roach Killing Gel" once every 6 months. I never have any roach problem again. You may try "Combat Source Kill Max Ant Gel".

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,313,738 times
My parents' house always seems to have an influx of ants late spring through late summer. My mom is pretty vigilant about it. She tries to cover/spray where their point of entry is---have you found where they seem to be coming in from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City