Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,192 times

Advertisements

How mobile are you?

Suppose:

1. You don’t have your own apartment, you rent.

2. You live and work in Manhattan. Your office is close to the place where you live.

3. Next month you are going to be hired by new employer and start working in Queens (or other borough).

The question is if you are going to relocate to Queens in this case? The relocation will allow you to save up to one hour every day since your office will be much closer to the place you live. The relocation though won’t allow you to save money; the rent cost is going to be around the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
I kind of feel this is a silly question, because Manhattan is sort of seen as a premium living place as well as the hypothetical situation person is already situated and established there. I see few who would be willing to move.

I myself would not. If the rent is the same, I'd stick with where I was living.
However, in my experience- it isn't. If I had to move to Queens for work and could relocate somewhere close to work that also is a decent savings, I'd give it some consideration.

That said- I've moved all over the country for work. I was not willing to commute from Upper West to the Rockaways though. Show's how big this small city can be-- or just how awful some transit times are.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 AM

466 posts, read 901,905 times
One hour a day isn't much. That's half an hour one way. I've been doing 45 minutes one way from Queens to Manhattan and have no problem with it.

Under these hypothetical circumstances, I would stay put and only consider a move if it was going to save me money. (In reality, it would.)

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
In such a situation, I would continue to live in Manhattan.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
I'd probably consider moving, tbh.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I kind of feel this is a silly question, because Manhattan is sort of seen as a premium living place as well as the hypothetical situation person is already situated and established there. I see few who would be willing to move.
Who cares how premium you place of living is if you have to spend a couple of hours of your precious time to get yourself to the office. The most premium place of living is that one that allows you to walk from your office to your home within say 15 minutes.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
One hour a day isn't much. That's half an hour one way. I've been doing 45 minutes one way from Queens to Manhattan and have no problem with it.
If you have to walk late hours even one hour matters. Just consider that you have to work 14 hours a day and have a choise to sleep either 6 or 7 hours every night. 6 hours may be not enough for you while 7 hours is okay.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
If you have to walk late hours even one hour matters. Just consider that you have to work 14 hours a day and have a choise to sleep either 6 or 7 hours every night. 6 hours may be not enough for you while 7 hours is okay.

You're making the assumption here that everyone values quantity of time more than quality. I get home from work between 9 and 10 usually (often later than that) and I don't really feel like doing much besides cooking a quick dinner and watching sports or a movie. That wouldn't really change if I got home from work 30 minutes earlier.

However, on the weekends, I like being able to walk around pretty much everywhere I want to go. If I lived in Queens it would take me at least an hour to get to where I want to spend my leisure time, which is here.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Quote:
How mobile are you?

Suppose:

1. You don’t have your own apartment, you rent.

2. You live and work in Manhattan. Your office is close to the place where you live.

3. Next month you are going to be hired by new employer and start working in Queens (or other borough).

The question is if you are going to relocate to Queens in this case? The relocation will allow you to save up to one hour every day since your office will be much closer to the place you live. The relocation though won’t allow you to save money; the rent cost is going to be around the same.
I need more information. What part of Manhattan are you living in? Are you in some type of rent regulated unit currently?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Who cares how premium you place of living is if you have to spend a couple of hours of your precious time to get yourself to the office. The most premium place of living is that one that allows you to walk from your office to your home within say 15 minutes.
Excuse me. I'm not a shut in- and while I certainly believe in the value of living near your job- I do things after work and on weekends. Spending hours waiting for a train at 4AM to head back to Queens, or going home alone -because- I live in Queens is not my cup of tea.

You also said the relocation will help me save up to 1 hour every day. That's 59 minutes in my book, and not that despicable a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City