U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,600 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been in New York a grand total of 2 days and am apartment hunting with relatively little knowledge in the city. I have an opportunity to get a place near Gramercy for a decent price. It's not actually near Gramercy Park, but I think it is technically in the neighborhood (east 20 and 1st ave). Since I really don't know the city very well, I was hoping to get some comments from people who know the area.

I'm 21 years old and though I'm far from a party animal, I do like to have the option to go out now and then and have a drink, or go to a restaurant, or whatever. Looking at the area on Google Street View, it looks remarkably dull. That may just be because I dont know where to look though. So how is the area in terms of things to do and nightlife? Safety? Public transport? Any comments in general? Anything at all would be helpful.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'll be commuting to midtown every day for work. Buses come by often, so at least in that regard it seems to be convenient...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM

912 posts, read 1,978,995 times
20th and 1st is pretty grim. Lots of sirens so close to hospital

Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 PM

9,095 posts, read 22,658,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzledg View Post
Hi,

I've been in New York a grand total of 2 days and am apartment hunting with relatively little knowledge in the city. I have an opportunity to get a place near Gramercy for a decent price. It's not actually near Gramercy Park, but I think it is technically in the neighborhood (east 20 and 1st ave). Since I really don't know the city very well, I was hoping to get some comments from people who know the area.

I'm 21 years old and though I'm far from a party animal, I do like to have the option to go out now and then and have a drink, or go to a restaurant, or whatever. Looking at the area on Google Street View, it looks remarkably dull. That may just be because I dont know where to look though. So how is the area in terms of things to do and nightlife? Safety? Public transport? Any comments in general? Anything at all would be helpful.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'll be commuting to midtown every day for work. Buses come by often, so at least in that regard it seems to be convenient...
That's because it is.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 9,376,444 times
Yeah I looked at apartments over there. Pretty remote. Depending on where you work it is a hike to the subway. I have a friend who lives at 24th and 2nd and its a different world.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM

A not-so-hypothetical hypothetical question:

If you had to choose between 24st & 2nd and 38th and 8th, which would you go for? :P

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,207,210 times
Quote:

If you had to choose between 24st & 2nd and 38th and 8th, which would you go for? :P

Depends on things like commute for me - I work in Tribeca so the trains on the west side are much easier for me than being on 2nd Ave. I also enjoy eating out around Hell's Kitchen which also leans to 38th and 8th. However, 38th and 8th is kind of a grimy area so there's that as well - lots of tourists/cheap shops,etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM

I work in midtown east, commute isnt too bad from either location... I would have liked to find something in the east village but I'm on a ridiculously tight schedule to find a place, unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM

483 posts, read 816,448 times
Quote:

If given this scenario, I would choose to live at 38th Street and 8th Avenue. This area is what I call a nice "two-fare zone" where either buses and subway trains are accessible. There is a thriving commercial strip and, therefore, not as DULL as other choice. Good luck and stay thirsty, mi amigo !

Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 9,376,444 times
I would rather move back to ohio than live at 38th and 8th which is around the corner from my office. I know someone at 24th and 2nd, I like that area.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM

13,751 posts, read 12,763,920 times
I'd go for the East 20s over the West 30s any day of the week. It may be dull, but to me that wouldn't be the issue. The issues are: are there markets nearby (yes!), is it relatively safe (yes!), and is it convenient for work (yes!)?

For me, restaurants and things don't really matter, because you won't necessarily be drinking/dining in your own neighborhood. I sure don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>