Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:55 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

It's the good part of Bushwick, I know quite a few people in the area. Downside is it's dirty, but the plus side is that there are lots of great restaurants to eat out. Lots of cute girls so if you're single, there's that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
Honestly, the same was said about Long Island City two decades ago - especially after the initial hype in the eighties fizzled out. And I know one guy who owns a pizza place when he opened up another one on 10th Street and 36Ave just 2 years ago, people thought he was nuts as it was in Ravenswood. Of course now Ravenswood has the first "trendy" Russian restaurant bar called Bear that the NY Times found out. Nevertheless, there are some parts there - like 9th Street right by the huge power plant fueled by incinerating garbage that I would not to expect such developments to happen.

So for Bushwick the same. And as I wrote Bushwick has some great surprises - Bushwick City Farms (here is a blog post about it with pics, they are always seeking volunteers and I think it is a great outfit - Bushwick City Farms | Atlas Obscura_- G-Dale you should check it out, they have a small plot for chickens under the J not far from Woodhull Hospital). And a very friendly trendy coffeehouse Skytown - all of this at the Bushwick/Bed-Stuy border which the safety map marks as "Red". I also have read great reviews about the Cuban coffee house and would like to try it. As an aside I would seriously mark some areas around there as Orange.

BTW G Dale, I spoke to the guys at my nearby Cuban restaurant Latin Cabana in Astoria and they said the Bushwick Cuban coffee place (Las Majores???) was good and similar in quality to the one you mentioned. I'd like to learn more about Bushwick, maybe we could show each other's neighborhood. PM me and we could arrange something if you are interested.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Why? Why do people actually want to move to bushwick? It's over priced, far away, crappy area. I just don't get it.
I agree. There's always a "Moving to Bushwick" thread here like every week. I never understood why this area became so popular. It's crappy, run down, ghetto, and ugly.

Still leagues above Brownsville though.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becksterr View Post
Hey, so I'm looking at a place off the Myrtle/Wyckoff stop in Bushwick, near the Washington Irving Library. What can you tell me about the area?
Why Bushwick? My advice is look elsewhere. There are other neighborhoods in the outer boroughs that offer more value for your money with equal or an easier commute to midtown or downtown Manhattan.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Honestly, the same was said about Long Island City two decades ago - especially after the initial hype in the eighties fizzled out. And I know one guy who owns a pizza place when he opened up another one on 10th Street and 36Ave just 2 years ago, people thought he was nuts as it was in Ravenswood. Of course now Ravenswood has the first "trendy" Russian restaurant bar called Bear that the NY Times found out. Nevertheless, there are some parts there - like 9th Street right by the huge power plant fueled by incinerating garbage that I would not to expect such developments to happen.

So for Bushwick the same. And as I wrote Bushwick has some great surprises - Bushwick City Farms (here is a blog post about it with pics, they are always seeking volunteers and I think it is a great outfit - Bushwick City Farms | Atlas Obscura_- G-Dale you should check it out, they have a small plot for chickens under the J not far from Woodhull Hospital). And a very friendly trendy coffeehouse Skytown - all of this at the Bushwick/Bed-Stuy border which the safety map marks as "Red". I also have read great reviews about the Cuban coffee house and would like to try it. As an aside I would seriously mark some areas around there as Orange.

BTW G Dale, I spoke to the guys at my nearby Cuban restaurant Latin Cabana in Astoria and they said the Bushwick Cuban coffee place (Las Majores???) was good and similar in quality to the one you mentioned. I'd like to learn more about Bushwick, maybe we could show each other's neighborhood. PM me and we could arrange something if you are interested.
Resident Ridgewood/Bushwick resident coming to correct yet another case of extended borderlines... Bushwick City Farms would happen to be in (guess who), Bed-stuy... It's right next to Lewis and Marcus Garvey Blvd's... I mean do people even do any fact checking whatsoever... Will parts of Middle Village since it has Metropolitan ave start to be called Bushwick as well... I'm just seeing how far this thing spreads... So far Bushwick includes itself, Bed-stuy, East Williamsburg, los sures, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, Greenpoint... Any guesses on what the next neighborhood to be labeled Bushwick will be... My guess is East New York if it hasn't been done already... The Bushwick Aberdeen stop on the L is right on the borderline so I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a couple of saps who bought into East NY thinking it was actually Bushwick...

For the record, I also agree that the Myrtle and Broadway stop should be changed to Orange... This map was done a couple of years ago. A lot has changed in two years... Now that's not to say that the number of hipsters you see there make the area any less shady or that majority of these folks aren't just transferring to another line but there has been significant change in that area where it no longer merits the red shading...

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM

575 posts, read 672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post

Le Mejor but you were close astroia

www.facebook.com/CafeLaMejor

Cafeteria La Mejor, Bushwick, Brooklyn
Website needs work but you can see the menu

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Resident Ridgewood/Bushwick resident coming to correct yet another case of extended borderlines... Bushwick City Farms would happen to be in (guess who), Bed-stuy... It's right next to Lewis and Marcus Garvey Blvd's... I mean do people even do any fact checking whatsoever... Will parts of Middle Village since it has Metropolitan ave start to be called Bushwick as well... I'm just seeing how far this thing spreads... So far Bushwick includes itself, Bed-stuy, East Williamsburg, los sures, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, Greenpoint... Any guesses on what the next neighborhood to be labeled Bushwick will be... My guess is East New York if it hasn't been done already... The Bushwick Aberdeen stop on the L is right on the borderline so I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a couple of saps who bought into East NY thinking it was actually Bushwick...

For the record, I also agree that the Myrtle and Broadway stop should be changed to Orange... This map was done a couple of years ago. A lot has changed in two years... Now that's not to say that the number of hipsters you see there make the area any less shady or that majority of these folks aren't just transferring to another line but there has been significant change in that area where it no longer merits the red shading...
I updated the Safety Map. I made up to Menahan Street in orange. Anything east of Menahan Street I left red. There's some real hood projects on Menahan Street, so the red starts at those projects.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

I'd give a partial pass to East Williamsburg and Ridgewood because I've known natives of both who referred to their neighborhood as Bushwick. I remember in the mid 00s and earlier, people used to argue that East Williamsburg was a realtors' plot to make Bushwick more attractive.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
@ anon1 - could definitely see hipsters growing up and having children, needing more suburban like homes with yards, and seeing them as close as maspeth, middle village and Glendale. And since they consider bushwick as a "culture" it wouldn't surprise me if they call these nabes greater bushwick if they move there.

@ oycrumbler - natives that live on the bushwick/ridgewood border would more so try to say they live in ridgewood rather than bushwick as it has always carried a higher status than bushwick.

@ Astoria - LIC was never as bad as bushwick was. Not even close IMO, and a friend of mine was shot over by queensbridge in the '80s and I still don't feel there is any comparison.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
@ anon1 - could definitely see hipsters growing up and having children, needing more suburban like homes with yards, and seeing them as close as maspeth, middle village and Glendale. And since they consider bushwick as a "culture" it wouldn't surprise me if they call these nabes greater bushwick if they move there.

@ oycrumbler - natives that live on the bushwick/ridgewood border would more so try to say they live in ridgewood rather than bushwick as it has always carried a higher status than bushwick.

@ Astoria - LIC was never as bad as bushwick was. Not even close IMO, and a friend of mine was shot over by queensbridge in the '80s and I still don't feel there is any comparison.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to G-dale again"

Queensbridge aside, LIC wasn't even on the same stratosphere as Bushwick... To compare the two is insane... I also agree with OyCrumbler's part about East Will. and Ridgewood getting a pass simply because there are sections within these two areas that have always been up in the air as to what neighborhoods they were a part of... That being said, it still highlights the fact that i'd even go as far as to say 90% of what you hear discussed as Bushwick on the internet is actually a different neighborhood...

I was reading on yelp about this new Café spot that's Miami based - Cafeteria La Mejor and one of the posters discussed how this isn't really "prime Bushwick"... Actually, that is as "prime" Bushwick as you can get seeing as how any further and you'd be in East Williamsburg... For the record, this post was written on July 2nd of this year in what I continue to call the hippest part of actual Bushwick so once again, it only highlights my points about the biblical level exaggerations of this neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City